Are we getting a little over the top with the Breece Hall excuse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The Chargers had one of the easiest schedules in the league (AFC SOUTH and NFC WEST). The only team they beat with a winning record was the Dolphins. But the real reason they were able to survive was because they have a legit FQB that masks many weaknesses.

And JV, I love you, but I wouldn't say that the Ravens weathered the storm. They went 2-3 without Lamar - not scoring more than 17 points in any of those games (averaging 11 ppg). They had banked enough wins (8-4) before he got hurt.

FJF likes this.
  2. Lon Chaney

I don't think there are many here making excuses. Almost the entire board is on the same page: The roster wasn't great to begin with and definitely not deep enough to survive a rash of injuries.

3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

All it did was show how inept MLF is at his job and play calling was horrific. I was actually saying this even when we were winning games and ppl was saying I was crazy. And yes Breece covered up a lot of the holes. Because he was so good but when you keep using the same RB dives from shotgun on 3rd and 1 or dumb pass plays on the same 3/4th and short with lesser talent it’s gonna show. MLF just needs to go he’s not an NFL caliber OC. If you can’t come up with play calls to get pros to pickup a yard, then you are not good at this

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If you thought RB Depth was an issue game one of this season, raise your hand.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair on all fronts but this stuff happens every year. Only point I’m trying to make is that every team loses key players for periods of time and even the season. It’s not an excuse to lose six straight.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Losing your 2 best offensive players in the same game spells disaster.
    When you run the type of ground & pound offense along with these players being your stud RB and Stud offensive lineman, it is an extreme disaster.

7. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

It showed how terrible our QB situation is

8. Lon Chaney

I agree. Especially considering the teams that they faced in the last 4 games.

I give them a pass for losing on the road to BUF and MIN.

9. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

that was already known now it’s up to the OC to put them in a position to make plays. He didn’t and he was shit at doing it over and over and over. No TDs for how long lol wow

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well before the season started and before Hall played a game, many were predicting the Jets to be at the bottom of the league again.

The thought was there were still question marks throughout the line up. Hall, AVT, Sauce and Wilson playing as good as they did elevated the team well above where they expected them to be and when 2 of those 4, plus a bunch more went down with injuries the team reverted back to where many thought they would be.

I doubt you can find one post from before the season saying, "If Hall goes down this team is going in the shitter". It was only after he showed those flashes and then went down that some expressed the season was over without him. But i don't think many at all think it was just Hall, he was just a big part of the many other injuries.

So really the draft position had nothing to do with it.

11. HackettSuxTNG

I have to disagree with this. No question, very few were calling them a playoff team, but they were not projected to be bottom of the league. Most projected them to be mediocre.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, this roster did not have enough quality depth, which shouldn't have surprised anyone given the absolute wasteland it was after Maccagnan left. And it's not just one thing, it's the entire composition of the team, including the CS and how they have continued to insist on employing schemes that may not be the best fit for the talent they actually have. And maybe those schemes have even contributed to higher than average injuries, and some players struggling to play up to their potential. Maybe the CS needs to step back and rethink what they're doing.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Based on the Jets history over the past decade the injuries will absolutely happen again, and unlike points, we can expect to see plenty of them.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

It’s not all on MLF. When they DID try to run the ball, they were mostly negative or runs for no gain. Duane Brown, Tomlinson, Fant, and Herbig outside his first few games were getting no push for anyone to run the ball. You watch other games around the league and you see successful runs even for 4 yards and Jets struggled to even get back to the line with defenders in the backfield.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In some ways the Jets out-performed their roster quality and depth for about half the season. But when they began suffering key injuries - Breece being one of them - the wheels began falling off. But this CS was unable to adjust even a little bit. Had they been able to, they would've found a way to win 1-2 games instead of losing 6 straight, and they would've found a way to get into the EZ instead of having to rely solely on Legatron to be the total offense.

Douglas needs to hit another HR this off season to finally get the quality and depth of this roster where it can weather the inevitable injuries. But he also needs to look at the coaching and the things they're trying to do and ask if those are the best schemes for the talent on the team.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, I understand. I just felt the Jets coaching staff could have handled it differently. The Vikings, Lions, Jaguars, Seahawks, and Dolphins games were all winnable with the roster they had on the field. They won none of them. It's not easy, but you need to find a way. It's the NFL. You can't just say our depth is terrible, we have no chance. I have seen many underdogs win games with good coaching and a will from players. I did not see the fight in the team the final month.

17. HackettSuxTNG

Again, this claim that the Jets had no Depth at RB is ridiculous to me. Sure, Carter was a disappointment, but were all those "Knight Rider" posts during game threads generated by bots?!?!

18. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

It wasn't JUST the Breece Hall injury that did the team in, but that was a big part of it. AVT, Fant, Mitchell and the other oline injuries played a big factor as well, leading to the run game disappearing.

Early in the season, the line was solid. Max Mitchell looked decent, AVT moved to tackle and excelled, but by the end of the year, it was a completely different unit.

As soon as they lost AVT & Breece in the same game, I wrote the season off. They were carrying the offense. They survived a little bit longer but after Mitchell went down, that was the end.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I love the scheme. I have watched these games back, the scheme Is always having players running open, opportunities are there. If you can't play In the pocket, again, you're just not a good QB.

The scheme Is fine. It's not going anywhere, as It shouldn't. We just need depth, consistency at QB, and more talent overall.

I'm not sure what scheme would've gotten more? What scheme do you believe would be better for this team and the players?

If the players don't execute because they aren't talented enough, what scheme Is going to better suit a bunch of JAGS along the OL? What scheme Is going to mask the shitty QB play?

Should they have just run the wildcat to close out the year? I don't understand.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

..and I understand this as well but I also see that we were close AF to getting It done. It just didn't go our way and they did It despite the deficiency on offense. I guess It depends how you look at It. Glass half full/empty scenario.

I did see the fight. I also seen a lot of players just worn down.

I'm just choosing to see the big picture despite the collapse. I can see the WHY. It sucks but I understand how It happened. I also understand the bright upside that will surely come from this offseason, heading into the new season.

I'm actually excited to see what happens and I think we are going to be really fucking good next season with some additions, getting our key players back from injury, and better depth. I just do.

The season Is over. I'm just choosing to move forward as a fan and look optimistically and realistically at the offseason for this team. While having an understanding of the season that was.. I know there were things that should've been better but the biggest thing for me was we just didn't have the tools to get It done. We didn't have a good enough roster on offense at the end, to get It done.

The Dark Knight likes this.