Are we getting a little over the top with the Breece Hall excuse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 9, 2023.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

So maybe that was the real issue all along, and not Breece Hall?

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You got it wrong. Breece Hall is an answer, not an issue. Look to the QB room for the issues.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Not many teams could survive losing their best OLineman and best offensive weapon for more than half the season.

Go through every team and take away their best OL and offensive weapon and see how they’d do.

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I was referring to the Breece Hall injury My apologies for not being clear.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

And they did OK after that until the Epic December Implosion. After a while it became evident they were going to lose out. It's infuriating. If the Jets brass start spinning it like the Jets exceeded or were right about on target as to expectations as to # of wins and conveniently leave out that they suddenly starting blowing pineapple chunks week after week to wind up at 7-10 I'll scream.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Exactly. And being 3 or 4 deep into the depth chart at some OL positions. Teams didn't respect the QB, OL or RBs really. The only real talent left on the O was the receiving corps. That requires a QB to be able to throw it to them.

HackettSuxTNG and JetsNation06 like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not just Hall. The impact he has was immeasurable for our earlier season success. That stats back that up.

It wasn't just one piece of this puzzle that did us In. We lost A LOT of pieces.

We literally had 9 different lineups this year at OL. That Is bananas, you can't find success that way.

Its not just one thing and I wish people would look at the bigger picture. It was a lot of things that contributed to our collapse and we are not a roster that can sustain that level of adversity. Not yet. It was too much.

8. jetophile

Robinson, a big, fat meh; but when throwing the ball over and over again ain't flyin', your take, while valid, sounds like unintentional excuse mongering because that's how irritated I am.

9. IIMeanDeanII

It's not though.

You can't just put anybody out there and expect the same level of execution when you are facing the best of the best every single week.

We don't have the depth for It, we didn't have the depth for It.

The teams that can function after severe injuries are the teams with very good depth.

We had a roster that was barely good, not great. Just good. When we lost significant piece after significant piece to this roster. Combine that with the QB carousel.

It's amazing we were even competitive.

We need more talent and much better depth moving forward. I hope we trade back and acquire as much talent as we can this off-season.

10. jetophile

There's a QB Room? o_O

JetsNation06 likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed with all of that, just saying it is not an excuse to lose the final 6 games. AVT was amazing this year and played multiple positions. Hall was the best Jets RB since Curtis Martin. No doubt the losses hurt. Maybe it is as simple as their replacements were not good enough, so the offense was terrible, but I think MLF and Saleh should have made adjustments and played to the strength of whichever players they did have on the field. I don't think they did, but the roster was definitely thin on the offensive line.

12. IIMeanDeanII

.. and I think that the depth, just wasn't good enough. I think we were overmatched and It showed. I think they did make adjustments but we didn't have an answer because we didn't have the players to make It happen.

Our depth Isn't good. It just Isn't. Especially on the OL. It has to get better this off-season.

I still have faith In this CS. I hope they prove me right.

When we did have the proper pieces, we were 7-4. On the way to the playoffs. Once we lost our guys and It wasn't just Hall and AVT. Got to consider that Fant and Brown both played with some serious injuries this year as well and they struggled badly. Injuries hit us hard. It wasn't a good situation for this team, CS, or fans.

It's time to move on and hope they get this thing right. It wasn't ideal, we hoped for playoffs, It didn't happen.

Next year. It has to.

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Nothing elite here.

14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets D held on after Hall & AVT went down to defeat the Broncos. The team notched only won 2 more victories the rest of the season. Don't think it's an excuse. Hall hid the deficiencies of this team namely at quarterback. They desperately need a legitimate signal caller who can hit a variety of Jet offensive targets and to shore up their O-Line.

The Jets will flip the script next season and head to the show, crank up the klieg lights.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’d also love to see the splits between under center/shotgun and then the same splits in regards to run calls in those two formations. It’s tough to run from shotgun with a leaky offensive line since the running backs aren’t getting much of a head of steam against penetration.

LaFleur married the shotgun run a bit too much.

ColoradoContrails and Lon Chaney like this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Its more than just their replacements weren't as good. If you have a functional OL you can lose your star RB and get by with 2-4 on the depth chart. If you have a star RB you can get by with barely functional OL. A barely functional QB can get by with one or either of those things. And an OC can scheme around things when something is functioning properly. But the Jets didn't have that after Hall and AVT went down. There was literally nothing for the opposition to fear, nothing for them to have to stop: the OL wasn't going to dominate them, the RBs weren't going to gash them and the QB wasn't going throw people open. They weren't so much one directional as zero directional at the end of the season. There was just nothing left other than hope you can get it to GW and he makes a play.

17. IIMeanDeanII

MLF sets things up, a lot. To me, It's a good way to generate space and time when your OL Is dog shit and It gives your QB a little extra time to read and react with a dog shit OL.

I didn't hate It.

So, you think we should have ran under center more?

With what we had to work with along the line, at RB, and QB. After the injuries. It felt like runs under center got blown up just as hard because we rarely generated any push off the ball. Just a constant wall of defenders.

Shotgun made sense to me. Idk

It was a shit show regardless. Still. Interesting take.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. Injuries are part of the game though. They likely will happen again next year. They need to find a way to win despite of them. Can't always be an excuse. No doubt the Jets had bad luck with O-line injuries though. That made the running game worse and the QB play worse.

Yep. That is how it looked too. Exactly.

19. IIMeanDeanII

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

20. IIMeanDeanII

You're not hearing me though.

If you don't have the depth to replenish the injuries you will not have success.

You can not just put out any random Joe on the field and expect him to perform at the same high level as your star player that went down with an injury.

Now, If you have quality depth, you don't have to worry as much.

We did not have that though, especially after all the injuries piled up.

Again. We were barely good without the injuries. You take those pieces away, you are handcuffed on what you can do at that point. It was too much.

You seem to think we can just put anybody out there and that should be good enough.

It doesn't work that way.

It's a minor miracle the OL even held up as long as they did. You don't seem to realize just how bad we were hurt this year as a team and just how bad our depth Is/was.

JD HAS to bring In better quality played. Not just starters but depth pieces as well. This wasn't good enough.