Are we getting a little over the top with the Breece Hall excuse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

If losing 1 RB, which in today's NFL are a dime a dozen, and a offensive lineman, decimates our offense, then we har far more problems then we thought

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

True but a couple of things here. I don't think Breece is a "dime a dozen" RB. He flashed something special in those 7 games. Also, AVT is an ALL PRO caliber player.

But I agree. I think the major problem was that this offense wasn't any good before these guys went down.

Jets81 likes this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Breece looks nice with a ton of potential. The problem is when Jets fans see nice they latch on and insist he’s the greatest and the answer to all our problems. Breece is nice. If you think his return is what solves anything for our offense then you’re setting yourself up for major disappointment

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That was Quinnen Williams being out. When Q was in the Jets were very strong at all levels particularly on the LOS. As soon as he went out the defense changed. Less pressure up front puts more pressure on the middle of the field from the LOS out.

5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This.... Right here... My entire point neatly summerized.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Do some of you people actually watch the games? I said on here at the end of the Denver game that the Jets season was over and that it was a fun ride. And that's exactly how the rest of the season played out.

Open your eyes. Breece Hall singlehandedly won us several games before we went down. Of course his loss is a huge reason we imploded the rest of the way. Defenses didn't have to respect our backfield at all after he went down.

Also with all this hub bub about offseason needs, don't sleep on adding another dynamic skill guy even if it's in Round 3 or 4. Can never have enough and another explosive back or WR would really put pressure on defenses next year given any type of upgrade to the QB position.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

When that RB is a large majority of your offense, then yes it completely matters. And WTF does his draft status have to do with his production? Absolutely irrelevant. He outkicked his coverage by a lot. Happens to a lot of gems.

FJF likes this.
  8. HackettSuxTNG

His Draft Status has absolutely nothing to do with his production. However, his draft status has a lot to do with evaluating the construction of this team. If a rookie RB selected in the second round was such a vital piece of this offense, what does that say about the construction of this team by the GM?

9. HackettSuxTNG

Did the opposition no longer need to respect the Jets defense either?

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is where I disagree. Many people believe that the second round is the sweet spot to find a game changing RB. Plus, these types of backs are also hybrid WRs. A stud RB who can run routes and catch balls out of the backfield is a weapon that every team clamors for.

I made the comparison earlier in the year. He reminded me of Leveon Bell. He also fits the mold of Dalvin Cook, Jonathan Taylor or Shady McCoy (all 4 guys second rounders btw). These are dudes that can instantly change an offense because of their dual threat ability. 250 carries plus another 50 catches - close to 2k in yards from scrimmage.

11. JetsNation06

It says we got a gem in the 2nd round and clearly the best RB in this year's class. Be happy with it. You act like we have the roster talent of a Buffalo or KC. We do not...yet. This shit takes time to build.

We had the best rookie draft class in the NFL in 2022. I can't believe I'm saying that but it's the truth and it's not even close. We add another strong class to that (OL), get a QB and get Breece back and we are right there next season.

I get what you're saying about the GM building out the entire roster better but sometimes your best player is going to be a diamond in the rough like Hall.

FJF, Jets81 and JetFanInNE like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We'll see how much this rationale plays out next year as it usually takes almost a year to recover from an ACL? I hope folks aren't expecting a 100% Breece Hall in training camp this summer. He's gonna need some time and frankly, some hits on that leg to see if he's completely back physically and mentally.

13. JetsNation06

One of the big advantages of Breece is his youth. Even if '23 is a rehab year and he's not fully "back" it's ok because he will only be 23 in the 2024 season when chances are he should be all systems go. A very valuable chip for this squad. Another reason to still add another RB.

Look out for Deuce Vaughn - K State. Another Big 12 product like Breece and reminds me a little of a young Darren Sproles. This is the kind of mid round gem the Jets need to snag. He's super shifty and electric. Think he's gonna be a steal.

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think as a whole the excuses for MLF are a little dramatic. It's like he wasn't supposed to face adversity so he gets a pass for doing something (no TDs in three plus games) only one other team has done in a decade.

But I think Breece went out and our Oline got even more decimated in the same span of a few weeks. It just made it look worse.

But again, MLF is supposed to figure these things out and other teams were and to

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Chargers were without Bosa and Rashawn Slater for most of the year and Keenan Allen and Mike Williams for big chunks in the middle of the year. Same thing with the Ravens playing with a backup QB for a month.

Teams weather the injury storm. The Jets just aren’t very deep because we keep trading up in the draft to make splashes. It was sad the amount of practice squad lineman we had playing that weren’t on the roster in October.

Nyjets4eva, Br4d and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

They were quite run heavy with Zach as QB and it carried the offense for the most part early on. It changed when the run game became stale. JRob/Bam/Ty and MC basically couldn’t hack it due to lack of explosiveness out of the backfield and bad OLine play.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Losing Breece and AVT was the single biggest reason, by far. Breece racking up multiple 200 yard games gave LeFleur a safe space to play ZW. Jets could win games with Zack throwing for 100 yards, as long as Breece was running for 150-200.

But the day AVT and Breece went down, Zack's safe place went up into the thin air of Denver. Going into Green Bay and Denver in back to back games (with Breece) and coming away with wins was awesome. Then our first game sans Breece (our first NE game) the Jets could not move the ball. At all.

Our 2nd game w/o Breece, we beat the Bills at home. Great game, but that win was almost entirely on our Defense, who held Josh Allen to his worst game since his rookie season. Yes, Robinson who was brought in to replace Breece had a nice TD, but that win was compliments of our D. Our 3rd game w/o Breece was our 2nd NE game. Again, our offense scored one single FG the entire game. Our defense held NE to their lone FG, for a 3-3 tie with 5 seconds remaining (then, the 'punt'). Then, we switched to Mike fn White and the rest in History.

Jets81 likes this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

Yet All that talent became useless when Breece Hall was injured....?

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Definitely a garbage excuse losing Hall and AVT. It hurt the roster for sure, but good coaches need to adjust and find ways to win. The Jets did not and it was truly disappointing.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInNE like this.
  20. JetsNation06

Yes, it's called not having a QB.