Are we getting a little over the top with the Breece Hall excuse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 9, 2023.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As always I just ask you to hear me out first, then feel free to flame away.....

I like Breece Hall. Breece Hall was an excellent pick by Joe Douglas with the 36th overall pick. Breece Hall has a chance to be a very special player in the NFL.

That being said, I am sick and tired of hearing people say that the Breece Hall injury is what did this team in. If your team had it's back broken because a second round pick went down half way through the year, what does that say about the construction of this team? Are we saying that Joe Douglas put together a team void of so much talent that Breece Hall was actually carrying this team? If that is the case, than maybe Garret Wilson and Sauce Gardner aren't as great as everyone thinks they are?

I happen to disagree: Hall had a fine season, but there is no way this team should have tanked the way it did when he got hurt. It's a garbage excuse.

CheeseSauce, LAJet, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

It wasn’t the Hall injury so much as the coaching staffs inability to minimize its impact.

I believe they would have made the playoffs if Hall had stayed healthy, unless teams did what they ended up doing anyway - stacking the box and making the QB beat them. They would have done better against that with Breece but they still would have hit a wall eventually.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think the combo of AVT and Hall going down the same day was the bigger problem.

4. HackettSuxTNG

People have been so focused on the Hall injury that they completely forget about AVT.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think this is your answer.

Losing your potential-OROY RB and an All-Pro OG/OT in the same game was something the offense was never able to truly recover from.

Having those guys masked a lot of the deficiencies from the QB position.

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Regardless of any injuries , I think this team lost their fire as the season went on. The defense being raved about at mid season, wasn’t close to the same at the end. That’s coaching

SOJAZ and burf like this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I haven't heard too many people using that as the sole excuse but his injury added on to AVT, Becton, Mitchell, Fant, Brown, etc.

Injuries were certainly not the only reason but it was a big part of why they did not have as good a season as they could have.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The crazy thing is that even though the defense wasn’t the best in the league it’s still playoff caliber with any sort of reasonable offensive output. It wasn’t perfect - which some posters really like to hang on to - but it was nowhere close to being the problem this season.

FJF, SOJAZ and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I think you have to explain the buffalo game if everything is simply due to 2 injuries. The league adjusted to MLF offense, he quit on the running game. He has to go.

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If you can only point to 1 game that would make it an outlier.

Plenty of blame to MLF. They still win more games with Breece and AVT.

11. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

My point is the talent was there to beat the Bills. Why is it now gone? And an injury issue and not a CS issue?

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

True, if you can’t score or have a decent time of possession, there’s only so much a defense can do

FJF and Jets81 like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard many people say Breece Hall's injury is the reason for the failed season. Many have said, including myself, it's a factor. The main reason is very simple: failure to get any consistent play at the QB position.

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Combination of Hall and AVT going down. The backup OL wasn't good enough to open holes for the RBs and the RBs weren't good enough to make the gaps for themselves. They got away with it for a few weeks once they both went down against weaker teams but once BB showed everyone the way the run game was shut down completely. Combine that with what was one of the very worst QB rooms and you have an offensive side that imploded. The QB play was probably better than the run game at the end of the season. That's how bad the run game was. La Fleur got a lot of shit for the lack of running plays in the last month of the season. He used it more yesterday. I can only recall one truly positive play. It was putrid, no wonder he largely abandoned it.

SOJAZ, dmw and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  15. HackettSuxTNG

Even if it is "Elite"?

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I swear to God I never understood this. Not only with LaFleur, but historically speaking. The Jets have this penchant for consistently repeating what doesn't work, and when they find something that starts to click they go away from it. It's maddening. So let's just say the run game starts to reap rewards the Jets decide hey, let's stop doing that. WHY?! The other team is gonna know your secret weapon?!

Now I ain't no NFL OC but when I start saying things like, "Change things up, what a concept", I know I'm not wrong. o_O

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Breece and AVT combined loss was brutal to this offense. The team went from winning close games to losing close games.

FJF likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s a pretty word that can cause some controversy amongst fans. In the end, it’s the offense that failed this team. It’s not really that hard to see.

RevisIsland18 likes this.
  19. HackettSuxTNG

There was a LOT of chest thumping going on about the defense, even after hall went down.

20. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Yes! Teams have to adjust when a RB goes down. Knight had his moments but was not great outside a handful of plays. Carter had a massive sophomore slump.

I would not be shocked to see the Jets draft another RB in rounds 3-5. The fall off from Breece to the next guy up was too drastic.

ukjetsfan likes this.