2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

2. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Saleh/MLF are too inflexible. Lamar has succeeded in a scheme custom built for him by Harbaugh.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It feels like Lamar Jackson has peaked. Not that I’d be against bringing him here for some fun years, but throwing a quarter billy at him just feels like a huge SOJ failure move that the SOB just did with Deshaun Watson.

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Lamar's by far the best option, but I agree with this. MLF would be too rigid in trying to adjust the scheme to Lamar's strengths.

Jedi mind tricks and Jets79 like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless we could sign him as an unrestricted FA - which isn't going to happen because the Ravens will tag him - he will cost us major assets in trade capital, and then we'd have to pay him huge money to keep him. On top of all that, he hasn't been injury free.

No thanks.

6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Zero chance Lamar is available and if he is, we need to make sure he’s not Russell Wilson 2.0

Carr would be ideal. Jimmy G next.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Lamar? And trust the Jets to design a scheme to his strengths? Hahaha
    Plus, he's missed a quarter of the season each of the past two years. His greatest asset may be what leads to his decline.

8. KWJetsFan

Whatever problems Lamar has, Jimmy G is made of glass and Carr has literally never won a game in cold weather, along with the fact that the past two years he's become an interception machine. I really don't know what they should do.

BacktoQueens and Jojo like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

There are no "slam dunk" solutions. And even if there were, if the Jets don't make some fundamental changes in how they go about building an effective offense, whoever they bring in will fail also.

Of those who we know now to probably be available, Carr would be my choice. He's got 8 years of solid experience and will be less likely to be ruined by this CS. He has the credentials to question play calling, etc. I'd actually like Brady but doubt he'd come here, but if he did, he could be like a coach on the field and get this offense to work like it should. He would also be a great example for Zach to watch and learn from. Rodgers would also be like that but he'd cost a ton in trade assets and a ton more to pay him so he's unrealistic.

Other than those guys, I think you're left with more or less journeymen who might be able to "hold the fort" for a season or two at best while you hope to find that FQB. The problem with this approach is that by the time you find your FQB the window of opportunity will be shrinking.

As much as most people don't want to hear it, their best chance is to hire a QB guru to fix Zach and get him to achieve his potential, or find out for certain that he never will. Worst case is they're left with a QB guru who can develop the next young QB.

KY Jets Fan and burf like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The cold weather thing is amendable in my opinion. I hear the concern loud and clear and I’m not advocating for Carr. But warm weather quarterbacks struggle in cold weather because they rarely play in cold weather so when they do it’s a body shock.

I firmly believe if you force a guy to live in cold weather year round he’ll be fine in cold weather regardless of where they’re from, assuming they’re an astute professional.

11. WoodyHarrelson

Agreed. May end up being a Russell Wilson situation. We’d be so handcuffed and we’re not there yet.

amuck57 likes this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Zach is garbage and not NFL material. No QB guru is going to change that. The kid doesn't have it. The only reason he's still even talked about is because of what a high lottery draft bust he is. He's also got big name NFL guys like Steve Young who are close to his family (the Mormon connection) back him fervently so I'm sure that's why this kid gets so many chances. Not to mention idiot talking heads like Chris Simms.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Carr is the best option. Garoppolo can't stay healthy, Brady or Rodgers would be a circus, and as great as Jackson is, we'd have to change our whole identity for him in terms of offensive style and roster construction because he'd cost so much. Get Carr, build a winning culture, and keep an eye open over the next couple years for the opportunity to draft a QB. And if we get Carr and it falls apart next year, we won't have a giant albatross on our necks in future years.

amuck57, SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

What would it take to get Carr? Just where he wants to sign and money?

15. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Go browse a Raider board. They are waiting for any sucker to unload picks

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t think Carr is the answer for NY but what do I know. Is he better than the 4 current QBs? Yes.

One thing I am convinced, enough with the coaching staff didn’t do enough with ZW or poor offense line. After seeing what Howell, Webb, Purdy, Ridder did today, tells you that ZW is doesn’t see the field as well as them. ZW can be our back up for all I care .

17. KWJetsFan

This is an excellent point. The only problem I have with it is that if he comes here he won't experience cold weather until next winter which will be late in the season. So it's going to take at least a year for him to acclimate. He's literally never won a game under 40°. That's a huge problem for me. Especially if you have to win games late in the year in new jersey, New England or buffalo.

18. ColoradoContrails

All due respect, no one here - including myself - is qualified to make that kind of assessment. If you do have certifiable credentials I'd be happy to give your opinion more weight.

Wilson has great arm talent and athletic ability, and he's willing to adapt. He even tried adapting to suit a scheme that doesn't fit him. This CS did not try to really work with him and his strengths, they insisted he be a pocket QB even though he's much better on the move. And of course they threw him right into the fire instead of letting him sit and learn and figure out how to adapt to the speed of the NFL. And then after all that, and with his confidence in the trash, people expect him to be okay? Anyone who thinks that has wildly unrealistic expectations of what it takes to become a decent - let alone good - QB.

19. ColoradoContrails

What in those 4 QB's performances tells you that they didn't have better coaching and OL?

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Those attributes mean very little when he can't effectively play the position. He was the worst rated QB in the league and the worst under any kind of pressure for a reason. No offense but you seem to take this stance on past failed Jets QB's too and try to deflect the blame from them and put it on the scheme, system, etc. The Jets need to move on swiftly when they see a player perform as poorly as Wilson has or else they're only taking up a valuable roster spot.

tomdeb likes this.