OC position, who would you want in 2023 ... if possible?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Jan 7, 2023.

?

In the 2023 Jets OC position, who would you want if possible?

1. Keep Mike LaFleur

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Jay Gruden, LA Rams - Offensive Consultant

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Shane Day, Chargers - Passing game coordinator/Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Brian Johnson, Eagles - Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dan Pitcher, Bengals – Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Joe Brady, Buffalo – Quarterbacks coach

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Marc Lubick, Buffalo - Assistant quarterbacks/game management

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Garrett Riley, TCU – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other – But be realistic, we are talking about the Jets and possibly Zach Wilson at QB

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

MLF ain't going nowhere.

Saleh is not letting his buddy go after two seasons. They are gonna ride or die together. They both will most likely be gone after the 23 season.

2. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I don't see how our OC can be the problem when we had backup QBs have multiple 300+yds passing, our rookie RB and rookie WR having 100 yds games, heck Garrett has 1000 receiving... Even Conklin is closing in on 60 receptions and 600yds receiving...
    That shows to me the OC is scheming plays for RBs, WRs, and TEs successfuly.

Now the real question is why isn't the QB and Oline playing consistently? The answer to that is obvious at this point. I say keep MLF, he's shown enough to keep his job.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because Tennessee trotted out a guy who had 17 career pass attempts and was on the Lions practice squad and looked more competitive on the offensive side of the ball against Dallas and Jacksonville than the Jets have in the last 6 games.

The entire offensive coaching staff sucks, Mike LaFleur included.

dawinner127, Br4d, cval and 2 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think there are others besides Reich who fit that requirement (refer to the list of experienced coaches above for some), but I agree that bringing in someone with successful experience is a must.

5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I don't particularly like Cimini, but he's been on the beat for eons. He's got sources. I believe him when he says Woody's irate. So, I suspect something's gonna go down in Jetsland. And surprisingly, I like his idea (maybe he knows something), if Saleh & MLF stay... Gary Kubiak to replace Knapp, to work with MLF.
    (Cimini today)...

May be one of Cimini's best, more comprehensive articles I've seen him write, about the whole mess...
    Full article---> https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...-jets-offseason-goal-is-to-fix-broken-offense

#25 burf, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If they’re getting Kubiak, get Kubiak to be the OC. I don’t understand the desire for this FO to always try and be cute. Kubiak isn’t going to get off his couch to come coddle MLF. If they want Kubiak (which I’d be all for), then pay him well and make him OC with the asst HC title.

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Straight possessions without a touchdown mlf is a joke

JetsFan likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Salah isn’t going to risk losing the only head coach job he may ever get just to keep his friend who has been empirically terrible and there is no way Lafleur would let him lose his job just so they can both be out do their job together. Salah may argue to keep his friend but he’s not going to demand it’s either both of them or neither of them.

9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Someone who can take over when Saleh gets canned mid season. Someone mentioned Kubiak or I’d even take Reich.

Br4d likes this.
  10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Offense is predictable, boring and can't move the ball. This team should be in the playoff, but when you can't put any points on the board, it doesn't matter how good the defense plays you still will lose.

OK, our defense has been good about allowing points, but look how many #2 & #3 QBs they have faced like today. They can't get a turn-over even when playing backup QBs.

Our Special team unit didn't fall on their face today, but they have plenty of times this year and have been below average.

All said, this team should have a new OC at the least, and if Saleh won't fire his buddy, they both need to be sent packing, which is what I'm hoping for. Here's to an eventful Black Monday.

burf and Br4d like this.
  11. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Frank Reich would be my choice at OC.

As for developing a QB, I'm not sure if anyone could "develop" Zach Wilson at this point. Three of the four QBs on this roster have fine mechanics, are able read defenses and operate the Offense - even if the play calling and offensive philosophy is lacking (empty sets on 3rd/4th & short, a seemingly compulsive avoidance of attacking the end zone when in the red zone, etc.), to put it kindly.

If Saleh is going to stay, let Reich come in and run the offense and, perhaps even develop Zach Wilson into at least someone a team might throw a 5th or 4th Round pick at on a flier. Maybe you get a miracle and Reich turns on the light for Zach Wilson? More likely is he doesn't, but the Jets at least run a competent offense.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And someone like Reich would put Saleh on notice that there's somebody waiting in the wings if he doesn't improve.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Keep MLF and don't bother with the band-aid OC recruitment. Hand the keys to the next Harbaugh/Payton hire instead.

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Where is the option for a new offense head coach

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Watch the film then you will know. No TDs in 4+ games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

In all of these threads, I see the same objection to our ability to get a new coach: We aren't fully plug and play. We have to develop a QB and we have holes to fill. Really??? Their job is to coach. That includes building a team. Let's face it, 9 times out of 10, if a team is looking for a coach, they've fallen on hard times. The number of Super Bowl ready teams looking for coaches is very slim. Very few of the current successful coaches, with the exception of Matt Lafleur, and Mike Tomlin (back in 2007), stepped onto the job with a complete team and an All-Pro QB. So I doubt very much that the fact that we need to fill the holes on our O-line and fix the QB situation is a huge turnoff to good coaches.

With that being said, I'd go with either Frank Reich or maybe Shea Tierney, the QB coach with the Giants, who Daboll brought over from Buffalo. Tierney was a big part of developing Josh Allen.

burf, ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in at least thinking about Kingsbury for OC if he gets axed in Arizona.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think Reich would be a good choice, but I'd also be interested in Ken Whisenhunt. Both of them played for the Jets BITD, too. Whisenhunt was the Jets' TE coach under Al Groh. Reich was Whisenhunt's WRs coach with the Cardinals and with the Chargers, taking over as Chargers OC when Whisenhut was hired as HC of the Titans.

Whisenhunt has a Ring as OC of the Steelers, and took the Cardinals to a Super Bowl. He also took as Chargers Offense from 31st ranked the year before he arrived to 5th ranked his first year.

I think he would be a good fit here-- I think his personality would mesh well with Saleh's too.

JetBlue and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

I like bringing back John Beck as QB coach. Beck and Cavanaugh had the arrow pointing up. (Beck represents my "other" vote)

MLF/Saleh eliminated them because they didn't want outside voices screaming to tailor the calls as Zach learned.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They work for Joe Douglas; it's his job to make the tough decisions; not doing so puts his own job in jeopardy.

Lon Chaney likes this.