OC position, who would you want in 2023 ... if possible?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Jan 7, 2023.

?

In the 2023 Jets OC position, who would you want if possible?

1. Keep Mike LaFleur

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Jay Gruden, LA Rams - Offensive Consultant

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Shane Day, Chargers - Passing game coordinator/Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Brian Johnson, Eagles - Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dan Pitcher, Bengals – Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Joe Brady, Buffalo – Quarterbacks coach

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Marc Lubick, Buffalo - Assistant quarterbacks/game management

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Garrett Riley, TCU – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks coach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other – But be realistic, we are talking about the Jets and possibly Zach Wilson at QB

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Why would an experience OC want to come to the Jets with a lame duck HC? Did I mention it’s the Jets?

They wouldn’t, especially since the Jets are in QB hell and have no idea who the starting QB for the 2023 season will be. What we do know, if we are willing to believe what we hear from Saleh's mouth, is Zach will be back and we need a QB friendly OC who can develop Zach into a better passer and game manager.

Below and in the poll are some names of somewhat proven guys who could just possible be persuaded to be the Jets Assistant HC/OC. I added the assistant HC, because being realistic just OC probably wouldn’t be enough to bring anyone to the Jets, and with both titles they would warrant higher pay. Also, if Saleh falls on his face early next year which is possible, their new position just might warrant an interim HC position.

I know it is a long shot, but can you imagine if one of these guys, such as Jay Gruden could actually turn the Jets offense around, or better yet Zach Wilson, they would become instant HC candidates.

On with the pipe dream….

The Jets have very limited choices at the OC position, but who would you want if possible?

Keep Mike LaFleur
    Jay Gruden, LA Rams - Offensive Consultant
    Shane Day, Chargers - Passing game coordinator/Quarterbacks coach
    Brian Johnson, Eagles - Quarterbacks coach
    Dan Pitcher, Bengals – Quarterbacks coach
    Joe Brady, Buffalo – Quarterbacks coach
    Marc Lubick, Buffalo - Assistant quarterbacks/game management
    Garrett Riley, TCU – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks coach
    Other – But be realistic, we are talking about the Jets and possibly Zach Wilson at QB

If you pick other, please post your candidate below, I would be interested to see who I missed on.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about any of these guys to make an informed opinion, but I will say if we replace LaFleur I want it to be with an experienced, proven guy who has been a successful OC in the NFL before.

If we do keep MLF, I want them to bring in a successful, proven QB Coach who can give ZW the best shot at fulfilling his potential.

3. JetsFan

So here are some names I didn't put on my list: These came from "MattOLearyNY"
    Frank Reich
    Dirk Koetter, Interim offensive coordinator at Boise State
    Kenneth Whisenhunt, Offensive analyst for Penn State
    Bill Lazor
    Marc Trestman

4. JetsFan

That is why my pick would be Jay Gruden. The problem is Saleh is a lame duck coach, and the OC might be stuck with Zach Wilson. Many candidates would not want to be tied to a QB whom many already consider a huge bust.

5. ColoradoContrails

All of these would be preferable to those on your list. All have long and deep experience coaching offense and QBs, some as HCs which adds another valuable dimension in that they could help Saleh learn some things too.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not a single person on this list would accept a job to "develop" Zach unless it was in some backup role where a legit QB1 would be the unquestioned starter. Even Gase might turn that job down.

7. ColoradoContrails

How many professionals consider ZW a "huge bust"? Seriously. It's clear a lot of Jets fan do, but I'm not even sure if they're in the majority.

cval, burf and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm leaning toward keeping LaFleur, but Frank Reich is interesting

How about a really good QB coach to replace Calabrese though?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Keep LaFleur but bring in a veteran offensive coach to help him.

This isn't an endorsement of LaFleur more than it's just not wanting all of these young players to have to be, in the year they are supposed to take their big leap towards playoff contention, learning a brand new offense.

10. JetsFan

It is hard to find one NFL analysis other than Chris Sims that thinks Zach will be a starter. Boomer Esiason and most others say Zach doesn't even deserve to to on an NFL team, he can't read the basic defenses or blitzes. Even Steve Young has stepped back from Zach.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Insiders are not going to call him a bust publicly.

JohnnyP123456 and stinkyB like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Tom Brady would solve both problems.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Pete Carmichael Jr the Saint's OC if he is persuadable. Could make him Assistant HC/OC. This would be a step up justifying a significant raise and preventing New Orleans from blocking the move. 13 year OC at this point so he has a lot of experience

Fresh eyes on the offense and particularly on bringing in a new QB. If you make this move you are trading for a QB or signing a free agent to hold the fort as you setup the offense. The point of the hire is to establish the offense.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. JetsFan

It seems everybody wants a person who is already a current and successful OC in the NFL. Why would they take a lateral job to a crappy team, which has a lame duck coach? The Assistant HC label and a little extra money doesn't mean anything when your unemployed within a year. Both "MattOLearyNY" in his YouTube video and I in the post highlighted guys that aren't currently employed in the NFL as an OC, because the chance of one switching teams to take a lateral to be on the Jets is less likely than us hiring Payton or Harbaugh as our HC and Tom Brady as our QB. The only way a current OC comes to the Jets is if he gets fired from his current team.

15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Of course, in your scenario, the coach would have to fail here too, in order to fulfill the scenario of the lame-duck thing.

But what if such a coach, would be confidant in their coaching ability. If they were able to get the Jets offense rolling, & god-forbid, they were able to help Zach see the light, they'd become a god in the media capital of the world, & become a highly sought after HC candidate. Also, if he was successful, Saleh's lame-duckitude would probably ease, as the team would likely improve.
    Not to mention, he'd be on-hand if Saleh et-al were let go, provided he did well here.
    Despite what y'all think, a confident NFL coach might see a great opportunity to display their talents, to the rest of the NFL.
    Talented, ambitious people, look for challenges, & thrive.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Imagine if for whatever reason Gase and Wilson worked great together and that combo led to success? That'd be the ultimate irony in Jets history.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Pep Hamilton if the Texans clean house again.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter who the OC is when you have trash for a QB, can't put the cart before the horse

stinkyB likes this.
  19. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

There has to be coaches out there going what the hell is that team trying to do on offense and like you said having the confidence in their ability to come in here and get the O from last to top 15. Every other team is better in offense than Jets. They also have players who won’t be on rosters next year, but they get it done. Remember Denver with Tebow. Coaches need to figure out how to get most out of their players. That is their job. If they can’t, move on.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The only guy I am somewhat comfortable with the idea of firing MLF for is Frank Reich. If we’re firing MLF we need to bring in a gig with a ton of experience. We have noobs all over the building in leadership positions, we could use veteran prsence

Nyjets4eva likes this.