Home Theater Systems

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Any one have a cool setup or experience with Sonia 5.1 systems?

My girlfriend got me the Bentley of Sonos systems for Christmas and I’m excited to set it up today. It’s replacing a rock solid Onyko 5.1. What should I expect if anyone has one?

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Those are wireless, right?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Yup. It certainly cleaned up the wire mess of having 2 conductor speaking wire hanging from four speakers on the wall that I never placed wire tracks from.

It took me a couple hours to get used to it because the sound is much more front of the TV heavy. The primary experience with this sounds like it’s in front of you compared to a traditional 5.1. Sonos builds the two traditional front speakers into its sound bar.

I like it though for movies and shows for sure. Not sure how I feel about it in comparison for sports so far.

4. bicketybam

Tell me about your old 5.1 setup. Decent speakers? Sub?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hope she is not expecting a ring in return :) She sounds like a keeper. That is a decent gift.

Sorry got no experience with those. No help from me :(

7. Jonathan_Vilma

You do TV audio?!

8. Brook!

Nope. I only have TV. No external speaker or system attached to it. Would love to get into those though.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

C'mon Brook!

How can you live without the deep sonorous tones of Joe Buck on game day?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

They don’t sell it anymore and don’t buy this one but I started with this one about 5 years ago. Once you buy it and hear the experience of having a sub, enhanced front speakers and the crowd cheering behind either ear, you’ll never go back to watching without it.

I’m a bit of a connoisseur because I work in the space but you don’t have to break the bank for a banging home theater system. $300-$400 will give you an incredible experience that reaches far beyond TV Audio. And it’s usually easy to setup if you buy a home theater in a box.

https://dailysale.com/products/vizio-smartcast-5-1-channel-wireless-soundbar

11. Brook!

Sounds good. I am really very intrigued. :)

I have 2 TV's. One in basement where I watch Jets on Sundays and one in the living room where we do our regular TV watching. Both TV's are Sony's (One is 8 years old and one is 2 years old). Can you recommend something for those? Your link is for Vizio. Not sure if it will work with Sony's.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t have any experience with it but I’ve researched systems a lot and this one always pops up. Be prepared. It’s not super difficult to setup but you’re going to be running wires all over the places and have to figure out how to make it look pretty for wifey if that matters. You will have to hang the speakers on the wall. I used picture frame hangers.

So you have to visualize how 4 speakers will hang on your wall before you commit to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Premium-Channel-Theater-Subwoofer/dp/B00EOZFUYI

Brook! likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Monoprice is good value for money.

And Brook@... even a good soundbar will vastly improve your watching experience.

That Vizio soundbar will work with your Sony TV's...

Red Menace, Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Just get a top quality soundbar, no need for subwoofer on floor or speaker stands.

@Brook! You Tube has great content on soundbars if you need to make an informed decision.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I had a nice soundbar and subwoofer but when I moved I left it at the old place. Bought a Roku TV for the new place, was just intended to be temp until I had the rest of the place fixed up, well I got lazy and never replaced so just picked up some Roku wireless speakers, not going to blow your socks off but works pretty well to give a nice sound and the pushing of 1 button to set up over running wires everywhere makes it a good choice for those that don't want to put too much work in and want very good sound but don't need top notch sound.

One of these days I might get around to running the wires for my Infinity speakers for the stereo in my office, have some Klipsch hooked up now.

16. bicketybam

I think that for the majority of people a sound bar setup is all you need. You don't have to deal with the wires and the sound is going to be a ton better than what your TV puts out. They are also perfect for smaller rooms and rooms that aren't conducive to optimal speaker placement for a traditional home theater setup.

For people that are looking for a true home theater experience, you can't beat the traditional A/V receiver and speaker setup. There isn't a sound bar that will come close. Even an entry level A/V setup will sound as good as or better than the very expensive sound bar options. But you have to a) have a room big enough for it, b)the means to run the wires and c) the desire to have that kind of system.

I'm a movie buff and have been into home theater for over 20 years. I had a dedicated home theater room in my old house. So for me, a traditional A/V setup was the only way to go. I do have a sound bar in my living room where my wife watches TV and one for my outdoor kitchen. They are a really great option for these areas and they sound great.

This is what I currently have now. The Denon receiver is a few years old and was in the $700 range when I bought it. It replaced an older Onkyo that was great but it couldn't pass a 4k signal.

The Klipsch speakers are new and are the best part of the setup. The mains are unreal, but they are huge. They also weigh 60 pounds each. I used to have floor standing rear speakers but they were 20 years old and the internal sub amps blew. I've temporarily replaced them with the bookshelf speakers and they have great sound considering the size. The sub is new too.

The setup is a bit overkill for my family room but the sound is amazing. I also use it for music which is why a sound bar was out of the question for me.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Adding some backlights to my home theater system. Bought some bullshit ones on Walmart with no reaction to audio but just feeling it out.

Anyone have any experiences with them?