Prayers For Damar Hamlin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Jan 2, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Latest report that I could find:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-issued-this-update-on-damar-hamlin

The Buffalo Bills issued the following statement at 1:48 am on Damar Hamlin's condition.

"Damar Hamlin suffered a cardiac arrest following a hit in the Buffalo Bills' game versus the Cincinnati Bengals. His heartbeat was restored on the field and he was transferred to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center for further testing and treatment. He is currently sedated and listed in critical condition."

Hamlin's injury took place at the 5:58 mark of the first quarter. The game was postponed by the NFL after Hamlin received medical attention on the field.

The team and all of the sports world continue to pray for his recovery. Get well soon Damar!

Br4d likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nothing good in the medical updates so far.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Reminiscent of Hank Gathers . Scary stuff. Thankful for the aed or the whole world would have watched a man die on a football field much like they watched hank die on the court.

Wut? and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My wife started her nursing career as a cardiac nurse... she saw the play and immediately knew what happened. It's not a heart attack, it's a freak thing that can happen to anyone, even a highly conditioned 24 year old athlete in perfect shape with 0 signs of cardiac issues. Fucking terrifying, especially as a 37 year old not athlete who needs to trim down.

Wut? and MoWilkBeast like this.
  5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

May God be with you an place his healing hands on you... Peace and serenity to the family.

6. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I think I've spotted the flaw.

stinkyB and dawinner127 like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Didn't see it live as I stepped out for a minute after watching the first few minutes of the game, but was shocked and horrified as most once I came back and realized what had happen. I didn't realize how serious it was until I saw the players on both teams faces. Never saw anything like that before. Googled the actually hit to see what happen and it certainly looked like a normal hit. I was up pretty much all night just watching for updates, luckily I have the week off from work for the remaining holiday season.

Still waiting for updates, but I hope the kid pulls through and I pray for his family as well. That was just tough.

8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Amazing.
    For those inclined to live in reality, some info on what most likely occurred to Mr Hamlin...

stinkyB, Lon Chaney and NY Jets68 like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I had never heard of this commodio cardis thing until yesterday but it definitely looks like that's what happened on the field.

is there a way to prevent that? like idk there might not be, but would a better chest protector even make a difference?

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Meant to say Commotio Cordis instead of heart attack, but realized he was hit in the chest and breathing stopped

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

There is protection possible. Read my post above yours... toward the end of the article it's discussed.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5181132/

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsroom/articles/year-2017/commotio-cordis-link.html

Chris Pronger I think also had it in a game and survived. Warning he included video

13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

the newest ones for lacrosse are supposed to prevent it. They have a hard plate in them that's supposed to protect the heart. I played back in the mid 90's. we were told the ones we were using then would prevent it but based on the study i posted that was innacurrate so hopefully the new ones work better.

14. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I’m not disputing your post, and I’m absolutely not looking to argue, but you said, “CC is/was the biggest health risk.”

This seems to be contrary to the article posted by @burf says, “. . . it’s rare for an adult athlete to have their heart stopped by an impact.” and “Commotio cordis is also rare in youth sports . . .”

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think he had this CC stuff but a kid I played baseball with got hit in the chest and wore what they call heart guards during sports the rest of his youth playing career.

I don’t know if they really would help something like this. It really seems like a freak accident and he got contacted at the wrong spot at a near impossible angle.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Not interested in the conspiracy theory stuff but I hope the player pulls through OK, a horrible thing to have happened :(

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Thought I'd post this update... it seems he's making slow progress... (from pennlive.com)

ColoradoContrails, Poeman and Borat like this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails and Nyjets4eva like this.