Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

A chance to come in nd be the hero when there is nothing to lose like yesterday is exactly why they deactivate him. What if he actually just came in and let it rip? Played well, Saleh would look like a fool.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

MILF is basically learning on the job, that much is clear. I am 99% convinced he will stay, unless JD/Woody cleans the house completely, including Saleh as well. The question is that future you are talking about, can it be next year, MILF's 3d year? He did go through a lot of adversity last few years, so maybe 3d year will be a breakthrough year for him, particularly with a proven QB, like Carr or Jimmy G. I am hoping for that, because, like I said before, he is not going anywhere unless Saleh is gone too. The best I am hoping for is that he adds someone of Knapp's caliber to the staff. Given that the team's biggest problems was QB play, someone with experience in that area would greatly help instead of Calabrese.

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

F... he failed to develop the QB position. Failed as a PC, and like the HC is stubbon to a fault...i.e., like throwing 55 times in a game, abonding the runing game when its working, etc.

He should be fired...

Jets OG fan, dmw, cval and 3 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe, and I thought of that, but that also seems a bit rooted in "conspiracy theory". Do you really think Saleh would've sacrificed a chance to maybe win the game for that reason? Granted, he's the one who decide to deactivate Zach so who knows. But once it was clear that White was playing like Zach in the games that caused his benching, who was Saleh left with? He boxed himself in by putting Zach in street clothes.

All that said, why didn't he at least trot out Streveler in a couple of short yardage situations? This is a CS not ready for the playoffs.

5. red75bronco

He had Wilson inactive the games White started. As soon as White got hurt, Zach started. Who does this? He isn’t good enough to be #2 for a game in case the starter gets hurt but is good enough to put all the pressure on him at home games to start? Makes no sense. When White got hurt, Flacco should have started and Wilson or Streveler the backup. That makes sense. None of this does. I think Saleh has completely mishandled and needs to go. When Mac Jones was benched for Zapp was he inactive? I have no idea.

6. red75bronco

And White looked like he was in pain. Do you run him out there next week? Start Streveler, Flacco? Under no circumstances should you start Wilson. Hell, if I was Wilson I would say, not thanks, still resetting.

I am convinced this QB issue could not be handled worse than it has been. A guy who couldn’t even be second string or start first three games first half of season is going to be the savior, he gets hurt and you go back to the guy you said needed to reset. He divided the locker room, fan base, and basically destroyed to QBs at once. It is laughable.

cval and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  7. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

4 touchdowns in the last 5 games. Let that sink in. Okay. Fire him

Ralebird and Nyjets4eva like this.
  8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned M Lafleur has no feel for when and how to utilize the running game. He is a one trick pony with the passing game, which is a big reason the Jets Offense was ass the last five games. In case nobody has noticed, Jets do not have anyone under center who is capable of heaving 50 passes/game and be able to win consistently. He's trying to call a Brady type game without Brady.

Is MFL capable of doing a better playcalling job with a more settled QB situation which does not resemble an episode from As The Stomach Turns? If he can't, then he doesn't belong in the big leagues. Since the Jets have little chance of landing an impact QB, Lafleur will probably have to prove he belongs with a run of the mill signalcaller next season. Failure to rebuild the OFF line has also taken its toll on the beleaguered OC.

If Lafleur is retaining his job through the power of nepotism, then this continues the age old tradition started by Weeb Ewbank when he hired that meathead loser son-in-law of his, Charlie Winner, to be HC. There's been so much fuckery and lack of transparency with this organization over the years, doing things the right way some times is just not an option.

The instant coffee society Saleh spoke of earlier is a direct result of free agency, which no longer permits teams to bond and robs the fans of being able to identify with players on a long term basis. With squads and coaching staffs being turned over as frequently as flapjacks these days, it is no wonder the default kneejerk reaction has only resulted in some instant gratification with a healthy helping of false hope. Dig in!

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've been a big defender of LaFleur not because I think he doesn't deserve any criticism, but after every game, I look at tweets which show open receivers who are missed. Not just with Zach, but also White yesterday. The system is supposed to be QB friendly, so is it only to one type?

But I will acknowledge he gets pass happy at times(like the Minnesota game) and the run up the middle yesterday on 3rd and 4 was head scratching. It's frustrating to say, but he's probably still going through the apprenticeship stage of being an OC.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That person was me and I stand by it as evidenced by yesterday's debacle. MLF was and for all intent and purposes, still is a passing game coordinator. He is by no stretch a true OC as he really doesn't "feel" the rhythm of the game flow. He can scheme guys open with relative ease. That's what a passing game coordinator is supposed to do. He cannot scheme into the endzone nor is his system effective within 20yds of the EZ. MLF hasn't really been around long enough to do the job he was hired to do and that's a huge problem with a team on the brink of being a contender. I said last year there was too much "new" in the building and apparently that still applies.

Since1969, cmcm750203 and JackBower like this.
  11. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

This is spot on. It amazes me when I see people constantly defend this guy and blame it on the qb situation. The qb isn’t calling constant 2nd down runs. The qb isn’t calling shotgun draw plays on 3rd and 1 consistently. The qb doesn’t abandon the run at the first sign of trouble. Thats in addition to the red flags that we all should have (and some of us did) seen last year with the mims bullshit. The guy seems to have a lot of Gase in him with his people skills. And whoever greenlighted Saleh hiring his best friends brother in such a key position that would basically make him unfireable and unaccountable should be fired too.

Ralebird, Nyjets4eva and Cman68 like this.
  12. Cman68

You saw it for yourself today with the presser. It was all about Saleh's staunch defense of MLF and indirectly, himself and his "vision". It doesn't really matter how badly the offense plays, Saleh will not fire MLF under any circumstances. So, its becomes an all or nothing proposition. They both stay or they both go but they'll do it together. So be it..

cmcm750203 likes this.
  13. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

That’s why I think that may be Woody’s play. He might not like the optics of firing Saleh, but forcing his hand on MLF might give him the outcome he wants. And that’s probably a bad thing unless we end up with one of the big coaches.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, that run up the middle on 3rd and 4 was quite a head scratcher. You don't see other team make calls like that.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Of course you made it up and here's the post you did it in - read the bolded!. Nobody at the Jets declared any such thing! Even now you're trying to concoct a fiction about how something was "sold." The facts that may be brutal to you are that over the past two years Mike White was a more effective quarterback than Zach Wilson. You play to win the game, that's why Wilson was replaced by White. Very simple.

We get it - you're not a fan of Mike White but to totally make up false stories is no way to prove your point.

16. Ralebird

What is wrong with you? You asked what my qualifications were for a statement I made and I told you it was my experience but that's not good enough for me, For you, similar qualifications are good enough. I stand by the statement I made - there's no reason to go any further until that statement is proven wrong. And you know very well what wrong is because you've proven time and time again that you have been wrong all along about Zach Wilson. I've been right about Wilson in every post I ever made about him.

Even now with your waffling about the guy - you're in, you're out, you're halfway back in, you defend the guy you walked away from ten days ago. Why not just be consistent and honest?

Here's another line for you to deny from your "OK, I'm Done with Wilson" original post: "The "silver lining" is that I don't have to waste any more time watching this imposter of a football team, or on this forum."

17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I like the system and think the play design is good, but the play CALLING is terrible.

MLF has no situational awareness. Can't remember which game it was, but it was the really windy one a few weeks ago. Every quarter they were against the wind, he'd pass 75% of the time. Then, when they had the wind at their back, it was RUN RUN RUN. Was he doing that on purpose to "trick" the opposing defense, or could it be that he actually didn't factor in the weather / wind at all?

Then to have 46 passing attempts and just 17 rush attempts against the 3rd worst rushing D in football when Knight was averaging 4.5YPC in the first half? COME ON. Mike White isn't Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, they just needed him to be a game manager and make plays when needed, but they put ridiculous pressure on him despite playing through injury.

And don't even get me started on the red zone play calling. Every time they have a first and goal they end up with a FG attempt. In the beginning of the year they were much more creative in the red zone, but that completely vanished as the year went on. They were pulling off fake punts and philly specials, now they can't even do a simple run.

And yeah, QB play and the oline was a big factor in the failure to execute plays, but MLF should know this and be game planning for it. How many intentional roll out plays were designed for Zach?

#117 Jets OG fan, Jan 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Yep, it seems like he doesn't factor in the down or distance, almost like he's just rolling the dice each play and seeing what hits.

Cman68 and dmw like this.
  19. Ralebird

If the head coach is not willing to accept the responsibility for picking the wrong OC or if personal connections would stand in the way of changing that situation that is clearly not working then the only viable solution is for the GM to replace the OC; at that time it may also be necessary to replace the head coach.

20. Cman68

You just described a passing game coordinator who is good at the job. You also just described a OC who isn't. The jobs are different as the OC has to have a feel for the flow of the game. The PGC only has to draw up plays that get guys open. Result: Too many FG's and too few TD's.

Jets OG fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.