Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Don't know who's a bigger bitch MLF or Zach? maybe it's a tie

2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

B-/C+. When we had our 2 best offensive players healthy (AVT & Breece), he looked pretty good and we had a dangerous offense. The injuries to those 2 plus the continuous shuffling of the OLine hurt him.

He needs to get much better with play calling and setting a rhythm. Wouldn't be sad if he's let go but I worry about his possible replacement

3. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

He has everything to do with the QB. You think SF just fell into Purdue or do you think Shanahan prepared him and tailored the offense to be successful?

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

D- - F.

Sorry, but when the offense sputters in the RZ time after time, and the #2 pick QB regresses, the OC has to take a large share of the blame. The OC needs to be able to adapt his scheme and play calling to the players he has, not the players he wishes he had. Good coaches figure out how to do this. MLF is clearly not a good coach.

cval, Since1969 and burf like this.
  5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

My diagnosis:
    • Demonstrates some interesting play designs but does not have a basic grasp of offensive concepts.
    • Play calling is severely lacking and has shown an aversion to aggressiveness in the red zone.
    • Never saw an empty backfield play that he didn't like, especially on 3rd and short.

Fiftynine, Jojo and Acad23 like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I genuinely was one of those fans who was worried the Jets would lose him after this year due to him becoming a Head Coach and it could hurt their Super Bowl run in 2023. That is how optimistic I was for the 2022 season. You can see how I would be upset tonight.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

LaFleur sucks. He rarely seems to have any cohesive type of game plan. One game a few trick plays, then never again. Runs the ball once in while. It's like he's making it up on the fly. Bye bye.

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This is all you need to know about MLF.

"According to NFL Next Gen Stats, the Jets have used an empty formation on a league-high 14.1% of their offensive plays. They have gone empty on a league-leading total of 133 plays, an average of 8.9 plays per game. For comparison, the league-average team goes empty on 8.2% of their plays and 5.1 plays per game.

Here’s the major problem: New York is not generating the required results to warrant such a heavy reliance on empty formations.

The Jets have a success rate* of 33.8% when using empty formations, which ranks sixth-worst in the NFL and is nearly 10% below the league average of 43.5%.

*A successful play is defined as gaining at least 40% of the required yardage on 1st down, at least 50% on 2nd down, or getting the conversion on 3rd/4th down."

He may be a good coordinator eventually, but right now he thinks he's the smartest and calls the game the way he wants to and not how it should be called.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I’ll give him a D.

I thought he did a great job when the offense had AVT and Breece. When those two went down, they never adjusted their run schemes. MLF was insistent on using the outside zone when they didn’t have the talent to do so. AVT and Breece are both 99th percentile athletes at their positions and your scheme HAS to change when you lose those two players.

The Jets offense is consistently behind the sticks. 3rd and long almost every single fucking series, especially over the last 5 weeks.

Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

F. I'll leave it as that, since I've posted too many times about his cluelessness. He's not OC material... maybe an asst coach/play-designer at best.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Isn't Frank Reich available? Jets need to make the move from MLF to Reich.

cval likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Reich wants an OC job that can springboard him to another HC job, not one that relies on a GM with a terrible track record on QBs signing a free agent QB who will be Reich's only chance at not getting fired in a year from now.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well beggars can’t be choosers either

besides if I’m an offensive coordinator with HC experience and I see an opportunity with a HC on the hot seat, I’m thinking if I do a good job I could get an interim tag

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If there are other teams interested in Reich, and there will be, he'll take one of those jobs, not this one.

15. ColoradoContrails

Damning.

16. ColoradoContrails

Reich could be just the guy who could turn Zach Wilson around.

cval likes this.
  17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Grade F

I think he is the worst person at his job on the entire team. I don't like anything about his playcalling. And the way he non-coached Wilson should be criminal.

JETFUEL1580 and burf like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I want a guy who recognizes his mission is to win every game and does not take his eyes off that prize in an effort to justify someone else's existence.

19. ColoradoContrails

Who said Reich would focus on "...an effort to justify someone else's existence."? What if those two objectives were compatible? What if Reich could get Zach to achieve his potential? Would that not increase the Jets chances of winning?

I'm not saying Reich could fix Zach, only that if anyone could, he'd be a guy who has the knowledge and experience to do it.

20. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

C+ but I think he would have been higher with a better QB and less injuries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.