OK, I'm done with Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Nice to see you back Legler and no doubt about it. It was worse than anyone thought.

I didn't want to draft Wilson but I figured the baseline result would that he would be as good or maybe slightly better than Darnold (maybe 10%) and to me that wasn't a smart way to use resources. Maybe he's not the GOAT but in Sam you already had your QB secured, up to speed, and part of the team, what was needed was to get him some friggen help for once. He's even clawing out wins as we speak with Carolina. I think he would have made hay this season with this Jets team.

Just our luck it ends up that making just a poor move wasn't enough... oh no. Its got to be an all time disaster with Wilson on lists with Rosen, Leaf, and Jamarcus Russell. At least some of these other kids the Jets drafted appear at the moment to be not only good but absolute home runs. If that trend continues for another year or two the Jets will still be in good shape despite the Zach Wilson pick.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The only way the kid should play is if playing is a serious health risk to Mike White. White's still on audition too.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The worst thing that could happen to the Jets right now is they start ZW the last two games and he has two ambiguous games that muddle the question of whether or not to move on. We can go through this mess next season also if we want too but the price is that many of the other pieces of the puzzle will further degrade.

If Breece Hall comes back strong next season you cannot waste that season on figuring out the QB. Breece is only likely to have a few strong seasons before the NFL grinds him down. He needs a QB ready to go next year more than most of the Jets.

4. stinkyB

Sadly, I dont expect Breece to come back firing right out of the gate.... look how long it took Saquan to be "back"

SOJAZ, Borat and Jets81 like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The bottom line is White is the one to evaluate now since he’s shown he can play quarterback competitively. If we’re going to play Wilson we might as well trot Strev out there and try to win.

Borat likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We’ve seen that already. 6 yards of offense in a half? Some crazy number like 4 inches per play in the game.

The fan base is already jaded enough which goes without saying, but Salah had this team believing this season. He wipes his ass with whatever message he was sending if he continues to sabotage them by playing Wilson.

#386 Jets81, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  7. Br4d

People talk about how the mental part of the game is the most important for QB's however after a serious knee injury it's definitely the most important part of the game for RB's.

They get hit on every play and they need to plant the leg under contact a bunch of times before they will be confident it is not going to go again. Every sharp cut brings the potential for a cleat catch and they need to do that a bunch also before they are sure.

The thing that is amazing about Breece Hall is how naturally he runs as he hits the holes at top speed in the outside zone. Hopefully he is fully confident and running with that kind of wild abandon when he returns.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, this just doesn't make sense. There are other players on this team, not just Zach. We can't just play him knowing he is the worst QB on the roster, and slow down development of receivers and the rest of the team. If anything what we have seen so far after the mini reboot shows that the reboot was the right idea, it just should have been for the rest of the season and the offseason. Zach is not ready to be a NFL QB at this time, and given how far he is from that now, it's overwhelmingly likely he will never be. The fact some of these issues are mental is actually worse, since these are the hardest to overcome.

Given he has a large contract and no trade value (unless JD does some magic, which lately we have not seen), we have two choices: ether outright waive him and take a huge dead CAP or keep him as a 3d stringer developmental player on the roster in 2023. I lean towards the later. He can make initial roster in the summer, and let's see how he does in practice vs other hopefuls. Maybe even play him in preseason some against scrubs, like any 3d stringer would. But we need a real starter and a real back-up in 2023. Hopefully Mike White and someone else competent, who can compete for the starting job, with Zach competing for the 3d spot.

9. Br4d

ZW should be the practice squad QB at the beginning of 2023. If he applies himself to the job he will become a better QB in the process. If he doesn't the Jets can cut him as a morale-boosting event for the rest of the team.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am now so frustrated we didn't pick Fields, but you must be even more frustrated than the rest of us. Every year we need a QB you practically beg to pick a specific guy that is available to us, Jets pick someone else, then the guy you've been advocating very vocally about becomes great, while the guys Jets picked don't become nearly this good or are outright crap. Granted Fields is not great yet, but he appears to be on his way. Where I am still struggling though is why you and some others wanted Josh Allen as the top 3 guy, but not Zach.

Josh also was from non P5, didn't play against top competition. He showed a lot of the same traits as Zach. And Zach did significantly better against the same competition as Allen, like Boise St, etc... Granted Josh didn't have as good a team around him as Zach, but still, the competition wasn't great, and Josh did struggle in College. Was it because his team was so bad, he was really the only guy who had to carry it? Still, wasn't lack of competition concerning? It's just odd. Could be a matter of chance though - one hit, and one didn't, and of course the Jets ended up with the later.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and legler82 like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think we need to change perspective on Zach and basically forget where he was drafted. Imagine he is a mid/end rounds draft pick, a developmental player. Basically a James Morgan type, who is simply not ready to play and likely will never be. You keep him at the end of the roster, let him practice, maybe even play with scrubs in preseason. See if he is making progress. Maybe he makes 3d QB. Then if you see something like what Saleh saw with Mike White when he elevated him to #2, he may get a chance. And if not, then you burned the pick, that's the cost of business. We don't need to waive him now because he failed so far, but we can't look at him any longer as this #2 overall, high priced investment.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  12. Br4d

Eli was bad for 7 starts his rookie season and then ok but not particularly good season two. He did make progress season two and threw 24 TD passes.

Bradshaw was terrible for a couple of seasons and lost his job to Joe Gilliam (twice) but eventually got his act together in year 5 and became the franchise QB. The NFL structure does not allow the same freedom that the 70's Steelers had with Bradshaw. You can't stash a player the way you used too. Cap and roster limitations prevent that.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

l didnt think this warranted a 10th Zach Wilson thread so posting it here

14. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Whatever happens with Zach and the Jets - I'll be forever thankful that his mere presence on our roster meant that we stayed out of the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

ESPN countdown just made it sound like it's highly unlikely that White will get cleared this week and if that's the case Zach will probably get the start. That will make me absolutely skip next week's game.

SOJAZ, Poeman and Nyjets4eva like this.
  16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Def won’t be tuning in unless someone else starts the game

Jets81 likes this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I hope Jay is right on this, now it’s just how do we cut him and deal with it or will someone actually want him in a trade

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That would be absolutely fucked up if he still cant get cleared

19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Objectively speaking, the only guy on the Jets roster that is worthy of starting is Mike White. Unfortunately, he cannot stay healthy and I would really rather not start him when we don't have a shot at the playoffs. Zach Wilson is not going anywhere because he's the number 2 pick. You have a lot invested in him and you have to be 1000% sure before you cut/trade him. Joe Flacco should be cut. Keep Streveler on the practice squad. Trade for Aaron Rodgers if possible.....

20. stinkyB

Not really... Bones dont just miraculously heal themselves in 2 weeks.

That being said, if all the lucky dominoes fall in line this weekend, I'm expecting a miracle announcement next week ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.