OK, I'm done with Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If anyone is able to get something, anything, for Zach now, it's JD, I will give you that. Just have my doubts, but you never know. Maybe there is a team in the league who liked Zach (there were a few of these) thinking Jets mismanaged Zach and will give some late draft pick, like a 6th or 7th and take on some salary. Trying to put myself in other teams shoes, seeing his last game and then Streveler outplay him in the same game, I am thinking thank god the Jets are the suckers who drafted him and he didn't drop to us or we would be the ones screwed. I am not thinking how can I get this guy onto my team - unless it is PS move for minimum.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on

red75bronco likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm one of Zach's biggest supporters, and I wouldn't give up a draft pick for him this off-season. He costs too much and I am not sure he can fix his issues. You can get a serviceable back-up without any draft picks and similar money.

As for the Jets, they need to sign a veteran QB or trade for one, and then use a draft pick on a QB too.

2023 depth chart may look like this:
    1. Veteran QB
    2. Zach Wilson
    3. 2023 Mid-Round Rookie QB.

Streveler really isn't an NFL QB, Flacco needs to retire or go elsewhere, and White is interesting. Just depends what his market will be. I don't want him as QB1, but he is a solid back-up QB.

twown and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I hardly feel sorry for silver spoon BYU boy

Hes hauling in 35million while Ukranians don't have heat and water or people around the US, the World are destitute or Homeless

Next stop is the cushy Jet Blue job: Good luck in Supply Chain Management son...thanks for 2 years of agita watching you stink it up

Shame on Joe Douglas , if not for other some sound winner picks ...a near fireable offense imo

ouchy, Poeman and Nyjets4eva like this.
  5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Kyle Shanahan loved Zach coming out of the draft -- unless it was a ruse to get the Jets to pass on all the non-Trevor QB's.

Chris Simms thinks Zach > Trevor Lawrence, but unfortunately he doesn't own an NFL team.

twown and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

See... things like this are very hard to read.

That is what opportunity cost looks like if you start putting names to it. I would have done either Sewell or Pitts if you wanted to go the HOF level player route instead of the trade but yeah....

I'm going out on a thin limb and speculating that most of us would probably be willing to trade Zach for Chase right now.

Br4d, stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well this season wasn't a total loss. Zach was able to big-time his teammates by taking them to his regular uber-rich resort so they could ooh and ahh when Justin Bieber walked by, while simultaneously distracting from his MILF scandal.

Zach had a productive offseason in what was supposed to be his coming-out season. Very dedicated young man.

Pepsiguy5 and stinkyB like this.
  8. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

So where is the responsibility of the leadership of the players on the locker room? I think you are saying team is not playing hard giving all effort because Zach had to come in for an injured White. What does this say about the character of the leaders on this team? Say the love White and hate Wilson. Playoffs are on the line, Wilson played well enough to beat Detroit, no one can say the entire team did not have a hand in the Detroit loss, so they come out looking like dog crap last night. Great players do not allow this to happen, no matter who QB or coach is.

9. red75bronco

I don’t disagree QB should pick that up. Question I have and couldn’t quite see on TV was if a WR adjusted and became hot. Not looking for excuse for Wilson, seeing if MLF actually has team prepared for such thing. Also, did we have. Back in or empty? I am so used to empty. I think they were running man with single safety. Someone has to be hot or back has to pick up blitzer. Wilson also must see it.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

There’s 0 excuse for players to act more motivated with a different Qb but you can’t seriously think that Zach played well enough to beat Detroit with only putting up 17 points against an awful defense with at least 8+ off target throws to receivers that were open.

tomdeb and stinkyB like this.
  11. red75bronco

He played as well as the rest of the team, no? ST gave up TD, defense gives up lead on 4th and inches at midfield, Coach blew clock management on last drive. Plenty of blame to go round with Zach. I am saying they all played their part in the loss, but that was n9t he talk was it, it was ll the scapegoat. ZW has done nothing to get away from that narrative, but if you are honest, this team has been crap since bye and ZW is not standing by himself in them being crap. They beat a decimated Bears team since the bye. That is it. Down two scores to Vikings, down tow scores to Bills, blew 4th quarter lead to Detroit and everyone saw the crap they put on the field last night. None of this is to take any blame off Zach, but if anyone thinks that is the only problem, next year will look the same.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

With Mike White we're in every game. That's all the fanbase wants and needs. Zach just regressed and he has crazy weapons around him. Yea the O-line is semi-trash. But he has two tight ends, WRs, and a quartet of running backs.End of Story. We overdrafted him.

Just dump the ball off to players above or run for 5 yds and slide. Did you see how long it took him to find Zonovan in the flats on that one play? I feel kind bad for the kid. But if studied where his check downs are this would be more than enough for our team to be competitive.

So Can't blame MLF. He's moved the ball with every other QB. ZW is the root cause. So be it, and we have to move on from him.

MoWilkBeast, tomdeb and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ready for his second career

"Zach" in a remake of "Saved by the Bell" (I hated that damn show)

BacktoQueens, abyzmul and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. red75bronco

I am not advocating or making excuses for Zach. You are reading this wrong. I am as worried about the character of the team. I mean the O really lit it up, since bye week. Blame complete Pats game on Zach. Bears team was not an NFL team that week, sorry they weren’t. 22 points against vikes, 12 against bills, 17 against Detroit, 3 last night. None of it was good enough to win. Basically no running game. Oiline got White hurt, and how many yards rushing have we had? Defense jumps offsides to give Buffalo a TD before half. Give up 4th and inches with lead under 2 min warning at 50 ydline for game winning TD to scrub TE, allow 96 yd, 8 first down drive to Jags for TD. ST gives up punt return for TD in NE, punt return for TD against Detroit. Coach has no clue on time management against Detroit.

To be clear, Zach is a big problem and shouldn’t be playing and wouldn’t be playing if OLine wasn’t awful. So take him out of the equation. So my question is this, the guy who everyone loves gets injured. The team has to go back to he guy that hasn’t played well but the team has some success because, inspite of, whatever the opinion is, why would the team not ball out until their guy comes back from injury? Instead of understanding they need to play really well, they make mistakes, then lay down last night. That is on the leaders and character of the team. Only losers blame their lack of effort on someone else. They are professionals, they control their own efforts. I think the problems are bigger than just QB. I also think that QB is a major problem, but unless Manning or Brady are coming in to hold everyone accountable, the issues are just going to shift somewhere else.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your thoughts, but the fact that Zach was a terrible reach at #2 should not dictate whether we again draft a QB in round 1. What the hell is wrong with Douglas? Not one, but two, number picks back to back absolutely stink. I know Bechton got injured, but what did they expect given his weight? Why did they think Wilson's 1-year of college success against Navy, Troy State, etc. would lead to the NFL? I know Douglas has made some good trades and picks, but right now we are paying big for his first two number 1 picks, as they are both worthless in the NFL.

16. stinkyB

You're looking WAAAAY too deep into this.
    JETS arent a great team.... good enough to beat the scrubs, good enough to hang with the upper echelon teams (lost by less than a TS to the 2 top seeds in the NFL), but sure not beating them without top play from many positions including QB. They're not playing bums anymore. It's been a run of teams fighting for the playoffs and theyre not good enough to get by with a decent QB under center, let alone the worst in the league

#356 stinkyB, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    papapump likes this.
  17. stinkyB

The only people that thought it was a coinflip were talking heads on TV.....

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This one Is easy.. You don't evaluate the schedule, you evaluate the player, what's on film, blah, blah, blah..

I hope that JD has learned a huge fucking lesson, competition and what you do against that competition still fucking matters. We all know, the game Is much different at the NFL level, opposed to the college level. So If you see a kid playing a cup cake schedule during a Covid year where they were essentially begging teams to play them, to what a QB who had struggled mightily In the past against slightly elevated comp already, and then blatantly ignore the dumb shit he was getting away with because of the level of competition, Is not just a mistake, It's stupidity. IMO

I love JD.

..but, he should take heat for this one. At least enough to learn that lesson, which I hope he has by now.

You can't always take players from top tier colleges. I'm not advocating for that either.

HOWEVER.. Again.

Competition does matter when you evaluate a player. You have to ask yourself, Is he getting away with some shit here or Is he actually that good? That's the issue with the stance they took with, Zach Wilson.

Now. They are left In a daze wondering WTF happened..

Sucks.

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

show me one person who said Zach should go #1.... Half NFL gms wanted leaf...

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I actually do feel bad for anyone who gets into a situation where they're over their heads and no matter what they do or how hard they try they keep sinking. I've been there myself and it's the lowest I've ever felt in my life. Most people would take a job offer like he got, but I'm sure he believed in himself and thought he could do it. It should be clear even to him now that he can't. "The Peter Principle" is a real thing.

As for Douglas, if he hadn't have had some other big successes with this team he'd be looking at being fired. You can't invest a #2 pick on a QB and get it so badly wrong. But he has to figure out who his #1 QB is going to be before next year. I'll be shocked if he keeps Zach, and White is 50-50 to stay or go, so he's got some real searching to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.