Next Year's Schedule

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jan 8, 2007.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

so theres no chance of any of this being improved next season?

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

First here is a dislaimor.............. There is some cursing in the following. Sorry, if offended skip this post.

Rant On!

Jesus man it is not the same old Jets it is more like the same old Jet fans.

I am so sick of this strength of schedule, easy game bullshit. That's what it is, Bullshit.

You know what every fucking team we played against this year did when they saw "New York Jets" on their schedules? They took their little pencils out and put a big fat W on the game that week. Every team did it last year, every single fucking one of them. Funny how we beat those teams that thought we were shit and now it was expected of the NYT to win................ Bullshit, it is not both ways. There are no easy games in the NFL, well except for the Raiders.

If there is one thing we should learn from this season, it is not to doubt that we will get better next year. This CS is not going to pat the players on their collective asses and say," Good season, here is a case of beer have a good offseason, BTW the country club starts in 3 months."...................... No fucking way...................................

Brick for instance is going to be handed a key to the weight room and a pallet of protein shakes!

Think Vilma, Rhodes, Thomas, Robertson, Mangold, Hobson, L. Washington, B and E Smith and the other young players that progressed so measurably are going to take a step back? Fuck no I do not.

Next year the CS will not be a rookie CS. They will have another year under their belt. They are going to have another offseason, a real offseason to bring in the type of players that will succeed here. We have 28 mill to at least bring in some FA talent and retain our young Nucleus for many years to come.

Then what about the draft. This year our draft class has the possibility of being one of the best if not the best the Jets have ever had. They left no stone unturned and looked for players that were football players, first and foremost, not combine commando's. Their only real slip up looks like the 3rd. round. Heavens knows that they got a lot of the picks correct. Then lets not talk about the pure unadulterated gang rape of Washington to get thier 2nd round pick this year. Odds are something like that will happen again.

What I have learned from watching this management team operate, it is they know what they are doing. They know how to win, be it game day or draft day. They have a plan and are intelligent about it.

Care to remember the Dolphin game? How about the other games after a big loss. What about the NE game where we went in and beat the Pats.

For instance, you think a Herm coached team goes in and beats NE at home? How about pulling that Dolphin game out? how about the week after the Jags? Hell no not in this lifetime would they pull out any of those games.

This team now knows how to win. This team no longer has that disgusting, losing, woe is me, same old jets attitude that has been so pervasive for this franchise. I just wish the fanbase would follow suit.

I leave you with one question though.......

How many teams are taking their little pencils out and scribbling a W the week they play the "New York Jets" this year? Think about that........

Ok rant over!

#22 Miamipuck, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Well I'd like to think that we have a pretty good team that is also in position to make meaningful personnel changes this offseason so I don't really care who we have to face next year. Anybody who wants to see this team go further shouldn't be worried about the schedule, because you can't sneak your way to a championship anyway you cut it.

EDIT: Well said, Miamipuck.

#23 Kris 15, Jan 8, 2007
  4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Here are the threatening QBs the Jets will be facing in 2007-08:
    -Tom Brady (nothing new there)
    -McNabb/Garcia (I think Chad is better than both)
    -Carson Palmer
    -Ben Roethlisburger (Chad is better)
    -Vince Young
    -Tony Romo (though he looked very mediocre down the stretch)

Those are the only good QBs on the schedule. Here are the rest:
    -Daunte Culpepper (possibly Joey Harrington or some guy named Lemon)
    -Jason Campbell (in his 2nd year starting)
    -Eli Manning (sucks)
    -Steve McNair (will be even more washed up next year)
    -Charlie Frye (or possibly some rookie)
    -JP Lossman
    -Trent Green's corpse

So that is seven good QBs (counting Brady twice) and 9 bad ones.

In conclusion, bring 'em on.

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Seriously, the only QB I worry about now is Brady. He is clutch. Although Plamer is a gunslinger, kind of like a Favre to me. He can win games with his arm.

The others bleh Mangini and Sutton can game plan them easy enough.

6. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

I'm sorry but I think that means nothing. Only one team is going to win the superbowl out of those 7, and usally the other 6 teams would make alot of changes. We don't know if McNair is going to be with the Ravens next year, We don't know how McNabb is, I'm not scard of Big Ben nor Carson Palmer.

#26 A.C.E.S, Jan 8, 2007
  7. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Great post, man. If you hadn't gotten to this thread before me, I would have posted the same thing almost by verbatim.

Some of you guys act like Yankee fans, except there ain't no $200 million payroll and there ain't a superstar at every single position. That's not a luxury any NFL team can afford. You guys just sound flat out retarded!

I can't believe after a 10-6 season where we improved upon a 4-12 season, I'm hearing things like this team never wins big games until it wins a SB???

What planet are you from?

I look at next year's schedule and I consider the improvements that we will see this offseason (good draft with 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, a workhorse RB, a legit pass rusher) and I see us easily winning 12 games.

Maybe you don't agree and feel we will struggle next year with a harder schedule and win maybe 9-10 games is fine. But to just assume we will be under .500 again is utter insanity.

Let's get with the program, people.

8. highlife15

highlife15 New Member

If you don't like losing why not become a Pats fan? Instead of enjoying the turnaround of this team you have to bitch and whine on a message board. If you think it's tough rooting for the Jets, plenty of other teams have had less success. Some are a joke like the Lions and Cardinals. Will the Jets be 6-10 next year, like they were supposed to have only 4 or 5 wins this year? Why even root for the Jets next year, I'm sure you could find something better to do with your time.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

While it is certainly true that the NFL changes a lot from year to year, that doesn't mean that the previous year's record has no information about the next year (after all, how many people are saying that the Jets will be good next year based on how they did this year?). The differences from one year to the next tend to even out; for the Jets, for example, this year Tennessee, Houston, and Green Bay had considerably better records than last year would have suggested, but Jacksonville, Minnesota, and Miami had considerably worse ones. Generally speaking, you would expect that if a team's schedule is particularly easy based on the previous year's records, it will turn out to be easy based on the current year's records, although not quite as easy. This is called regression to the mean, and it occurs because if the previous year's records of the opponents are particularly bad, bad luck probably had something to do with it, and you wouldn't expect the bad luck to repeat the next year. The same thing holds true for particularly hard schedules based on the previous year's records; you expect it to turn out to be a hard schedule, but not quite as hard as the previous year's records would have suggested. This isn't guaranteed to happen every time, of course, but it's what you would expect.

The 2005 winning percentage of the teams on the Jets' 2006 schedule was .465; the 2006 winning percentage turned out to be .469. That's pretty close to what you'd expect (in fact, it's surprisingly close), and obviously the 2005 records predicted the 2006 schedule very well.

The 2006 records of the teams on the Jets' 2007 schedule have a winning percentage of .516, and I would expect that next year's schedule (based on next year's performances) will be harder than average as a result, although not as hard relatively speaking as this year's was easy, and perhaps not quite as hard as this year's records would suggest.

10. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Good news. I'm glad we play a tougher schedule. The last thing I want is to see us play a bunch of cupcakes that make us look better than we are only to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. I want to see the Jets make the playoffs as a legitimate, battle-tested team that's capable of winning it all.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The sched obviously looks harder now but you never know, teams go up and down so fast. Before the season I bet the 13 teams we played thought they had a W when they saw the Jets name on the sched.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes anything can be improved but cause we need so much like OLman who can run block & open holes like DLman who can rush the passer like big strong fast LBers that can stop the run at the point of attack & DBF toughies it will take more then 28M & 1 draft to make us elite team IMHO. Draft choices are crap shoots & while we hit a homer with Mangold the draft landscape is littered with failures. I am sure you do not want a litany of our draft failures do you? Yes we are on the correct track it appears but it will take more then 1 or even 2 years to fix all the weaknesses on the team that are needed to make us a true contender.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes I always told my son to be the be the best you must beat the best

14. largojetfan

largojetfan Member

The NFC was terrible this year. the Jets will dominate the NFC teams they play next year, includinmg the G-men. As alreadfy pointed out the Jets are playing several teams with new coaches so knowing how goog they will be is impossible. As far as "easy games, we do play the Fins twice... those are easy games. Also all you who are saying we play all these playoff teams, remember...THE JETS WERE A PLAYOFF TEAM TOO!!!!

15. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

The combined winning percentage of next year's schedule comes out to .480, which, of course, in terms of a 16 game season, comes out to in between 7-9 and 8-8. We'll do fine.

16. abdulsalaam

abdulsalaam New Member

hey champ, just curious, because you seem to have been enthusiastic about Mangini and this team, but still pretty "anti-woody".

do you give woody any credit for taking a chance on an unproven 35 year old coach?

17. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Big Ben <> Better QBs in the league
    Young <> Better QBs in the league (one of the best RBs though!)
    McNair <> Better QBs in the league (used to be)
    Romo proving not to be one of the better QBs in the league

McNabb, Brady, Palmer, sure, I definitely agree.

It's hard to judge a schedule now. A LOT of things can change from now until Sept.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Bingo. The schedule never even turns out to be what it looks like in September, let alone the previous January. The 1999 Jets looked like a juggernaut until Vinny went down in Week 1, you never know. It's way too early to be worried about that.

19. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Way to much parody in the NFL to worry about schedules, its overrated because of how good a team is one year, and how bad they are the next.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I just hope we are healthy, the last 2 seasons we played the NFC East we were down our starting QB(Chad only started 1 game in '03 and Vinny zero in '99). The only teams I haven not seen the Jets beat are the Giants, Skins and Eagles and we play home against philly and Wash and at the Giants(I may go) so hopefully we get wins against all 3.