Mike White not cleared… Zach will start the Lions game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 16, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

And until Zach can eliminate those lows, he's not going to be a good enough QB to take this team over the top.

The highs have always been there but the rest of his game is just too inconsistent. Sloppy footwork and poor body mechanics leads to one of the worst completion %'s in the league over the last 2 years.

The last play before the final FG attempt is everything you want from a modern-day NFL QB but unless he fixes his footwork and improves his processing speed, yesterday was about as close to ZW's ceiling as we're gonna see which just isn't good enough to get this team to where it needs to be.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Doesn't sound good for MW this Thursday.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gotta justify that 2nd overall pick no matter what though... Zach plays until MW is healthy again win or lose. Why Flacco is still on the roster must be due to him getting a game check weekly as he brings nothing to add.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The question to me is whether that is the maturation process of a young QB or is that who he is? MLF was awful again and seems to get a pass. It is not like we lit up the scoreboard against the Vikings and the Bills. He does not play to Zach's strengths.

MW is better from the pocket no doubt but MW could not make any of those highlight throws. Which is better for wins? I would say neither becasue they both lead to losses which makes me point my finger to MLF.

Take advantage of Zach's athleticism for the love of pete.

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Hopefully Zach can pull off a win this week. Then we can go back to MW for the last 2

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I honestly have no idea. Zach's obviously still trying to mature as a professional QB but you would like to see more progress in things that have plagued him since he was a rookie last year.

I personally think MLF is fine. He frustrates me sometimes but overall I think he's a solid OC. I'd be fine if I never see another empty set on 3rd and short though, that's probably my biggest critique of him but that's for another thread.

I hear you but you can't have your QB rollout every play. Zach had open guys yesterday on certain occasions and still missed them. His footwork still isn't where it needs to be and that likely won't change until this offseason if it ever does.

Jets79 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

MLF is far from a good coordinator. His play designs are flawed and his play calling is just bad. That does not mean every play design and call is bad but it is just as inconsistent as Zach from the pocket.

Look around the league with good coordinators and play callers that have athletic Qbs. Reed, Daboll, Roman, Shananhan, shoot even Kingsbury. They take advantage of the athleticism of their QB. Mike and his brother Matt are horrible.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I just don't think I can agree with you on this one.

I see MLF calling plays where there's always at least 1 guy open way too often to say he's a bad OC. It's why MW was able to be so successful while he was the starter. I'm certainly not saying he's one of the best OCs in the league but he's not a bad one.

I do think that there's room for him to grow and improve but he's only 2 years into being a playcaller so that's to be expected.

Our inability to establish the run game on a consistent basis lately has caused him to become a little one dimensional but that's not totally on him.

Borat and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There is the issue Mike White was only successful against the Bears. He almost got MIke White killed against the Bills. Mike White and Garrett WIlson had to make some great plays against the Vikings. When I watch multiple ex QB's and Hall of Fame Qbs break down plays and shrug their shoulders on the design of play I start to question.

He is not totally incompetent and he is learning on the job as well but he has a lot of growing to do.

#370 cval, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Who said they should have Zach roll out every play? That would be stupidly predictable. But they should certainly do it more often than they do. Take yesterday, they had him using his legs in the beginning of the game and had success. Then all of a sudden MLF reverts to having him become a drop back QB and the offense stalls. Then in the 4th when they had to make plays Zach starts using is legs again and they make plays.

I have supported LaFleur from the beginning believing he was a young, smart OC who had a good system he was trying to employ here, but I also assumed that he was young enough to understand that it's not the system it's the players that matter. I can see that I've proven the old saying of what happens when you assume. And it's also clear now that the Jets are more committed to their system than they are to developing a QB with a lot of talent who doesn't fit that system - if one has to go it will be Zach Wilson. So godspeed Zach. I hope wherever you land you finally do unlock your talent and then come back and rub the noses of the Jets and the fans who didn't believe in you in the dirt.

12. ColoradoContrails

And how old is he? How long has he been in the NFL? And yet everyone expects a 23 year old kid with less than 2 years in the NFL to be successful. ANd that's the problem: Jets fan expectations are completely unrealistic, especially regarding young QBs.

Borat likes this.
  13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Sounds like your are agreeing he shouldn't be the starter and he needs more time to develop.

94Abraham likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Well first of all, if White is still hurt, then Wilson is the best option. If White is healthy and able to play with broken ribs - maybe he can maybe he can't - then White is the best choice. I've said that for the past 4 weeks. I've also said that Zach has a lot of potential to become a FQB, and that I don't think MW has that potential, but I've also said I could be wrong on that last point.

But if you're trying to say that we agree, no we don't. Because you and the rest of the Dump Wilson crowd don't think he's any good, and at the same time you think MW is so much better. I agree that right now White is better, but not because he has more talent or upside but because he's had almost 5 years in the NFL and he fits this system better than Wilson. And I'm also saying that this CS is a bunch of horses asses by drafting a QB who didn't fit their system and then believing they could force fit him into it instead of changing their "perfect" system to take advantage of Wilson's unique skills.

JackBower likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Are we talking about MLF here or Zach? The post you responded to is all about MLF.

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Blah blah blah MLF blah....

If ur OL is subpar ur fucked

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  17. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

who cares at this point season is for the 13th year in a row over.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure that’s the real expectation. I think, at least to me, that the expectation was to see improvement in year 2 that would show an upward trend going into year three as the breakout year. But the frustration is that we’ve seen very little improvement at all. In fact, if you line up the stats (yes the dreaded stats!), they look almost exactly the same. In terms of completion rate, average per attempt, average yards per game, TD to pick ratio, QB rating, etc. they are basically the same. I haven’t checked them after yesterdays Lions game, but I do know that his completion rate of 51% is below his career rate of around 55%, and his yards yesterday (over 300) are above his career YPG average which is under 200…but regardless, overall year two looks very similar to year one.

so he’s young, sure, and while it’s not unreasonable to expect he could improve, what worries me is that I see the same poor traits that I’ve seen since he started. So I’m skeptical.

but I don’t think everyone expected him to be a top three QB…we just expected a midlevel QB with the arrow pointing guy, and by any real measure, it’s hard to argue that we’ve seen that. That is, without cherry picking stats and making excuses…

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Yeah funny because right now Mike White is looking like a midlevel Qb, Zack is looking like the worst backup in the league.

20. ColoradoContrails

I'm talking about MLF and the fact that you argue giving him some slack because "...he's only 2 years into being a playcaller so that's to be expected." and I was pointing out that Zach is only 23 years old and has even less experience in the NFL and everyone expects him to be a finished product.