They're letting the season slip away....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 13, 2022.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I am also a “no to tanking” person. The only time I ever wanted this team to lose was when Gase was the head coach because I knew this team was just wasting time and assets with that guy.

I believe this Jets team is better than the 4 teams remaining on the schedule. Defense should shut down everyone.

2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Flacco was the qb when a big mistake was made. Flacco was completely inept otherwise. He was in only because White is a little slight and can't take a hit like the biggest and strongest qbs. Should the o line have been better, YES, should Mosely not have been over zealous and jump, yes, should Carter have held onto the damn ball, YES. I'm not saying those things didn't contribute, but qb is why we didn't win. Any of our 3 quarterbacks can't overcome the rest of the team's mistakes, put the team on their back, and win a game. We don't have a top 5 qb, and unless we play a flawless game and the other team makes mistakes, we won't be able to beat the best teams in the league.

Game 1 against buffalo was near flawless, and Allen had 2 uncharacteristic int's. Hence, with decent, mistake free quarterback play, we won, but only barely.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well said

white didn’t win us Minnesota, but he didn’t lose the game either…Zach absolutely lost us that Pats game…77 yards…jeez that’s high school level performance…

REVISion likes this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I have a hard time saying the Jets are better than anyone other than the absolute bottom feeders this year.
    We're neck asnd neck with a whole buncha teams... there is little separating the 6 and 7 win teams... and there are 9

were a middling team who can sometimes punchv above weight and sometimes look pathetic

5. NYJFOREVER

The Jets haven’t looked pathetic since week 3.

Sure, maybe some units *cough* Zach Wilson led offenses *cough* have looked pathetic, but this team is well coached and plays solid football week in and week.

REVISion, Pepsiguy5 and Losmeister like this.
  6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

My OBJECTIVE take on the rest of the Jets 4 opponents?

1) Lions are a very talented team and could be our biggest opponent left on our schedule. The match up to watch is our defense vs Lions offense. Can our front 4 get to Goff without blitzing or bringing more players into the box? Lions OL is very, very good and overpowering. This is a big time challenge and our season could hinge on us winning this game. Our offense is our problem. The OL needs to start doing their jobs making it more conducive to the entire offense being successful. Miami and Seattle I worry about.

2) I'm not ready to say the Jets are a better team than anyone left on our schedule besides Jax. Given our injuries it's nip and tuck all the way.

3) I don't believe 10 wins gets us in the tournament? I think we need to win out. Not just from the point of the playoffs but also from the standpoint of our HC. So far Robert Saleh has shown Jets fans nothing in December and beyond. Like I posted and it bears repeating, "Truly good HC's, like SB worthy HC's, go on winning streaks when the late season arrives". If Saleh can't win late season games against other playoff contenders then he's useless to the Jets.

4) Our OL MUST get going. That's the key and what our season hinges on. If the OL continues to play poorly it will cost the rest of the team the playoffs. No OL = terrible offense = No playoff run.....

Borat likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, just a plain old fashioned "truther". I've acknowledged Zachs problems repeatedly - unlike many White supporters who gloss over or justify his mistakes. And I've acknowledged that MW is the better QB right now. But when I point out his flaws and mistakes that makes me a "White Hater"? LOL! I don't care who the QB is as long as they win - unlike the Zach Haters who have a different agenda.

Actually Zach didn't play so badly in the first NE game with the major exception being those 3 INTs. But the bigger share of blame has to be put on JFM for his RTQ penalty that erased what would've been a 17-3 lead and changed how the rest of game unfolded including how Zach responded. For sure the second NE game was a disaster for Wilson, and he should've been pulled in the 3rd quarter as soon as they saw he was just continuing to play like he had in the 1st half.

And yes White did play well enough to win...except he didn't. He played mostly like a "game manager", one of the things Zach was accused of being while he was leading them to a 5-2 record. And MW demonstrated quick decision-making - although maybe he didn't always make the right decision choosing to check down rather than look for deeper receivers - and was decisive and tough, things that hopefully Zach can improve on in his own play.

The main difference between me and the Zach Haters is that I can honestly root for MW - or whoever the QB is - but also be honest about the mistakes they make without that being made into me being a "White Hater". The reason the Zach Haters like to use this straw man is simply because they're projecting their own mindset on me, but the reality is it doesn't change me, I'm still just an old fashioned "truther".

joe, ouchy and bicketybam like this.
  8. Losmeister

RZ performance v Vikings was abysmal

i agree we're well coached and have exciting young talent... that tha garbage barge is being moved off its course to a better direction.

our COMPETE level is better than it has been for... prolly 12 years

9. NYJFOREVER

Agreed on the RZ performance.

Lafleur definitely got too cute with it. He needs to realize he has an actual NFL level starter instead of the worst QB in football.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

"PARITY" - and a 1-3 finish makes us 8-9 not 9-8. Your post is a bit of a parody. lol

I am not sold on Mike White either, but he's shown me enough against tough teams and in horrible conditions 2 out of 3 times to think he at worst won't hurt us. His ability to stay healthy concerns me, and his complete lack of mobility is going to be an issue for a team with a bad offensive line. They need to fix the line stat in order to make this a Mike White-friendly offense.

Saleh is fine, he's LEAPS AND BOUNDS better this season than he was last year. And we all begged the next coach to be a CEO and not be involved directly with the offense and defense - he's done that. He can evaluate those guys after the season, but as the HEAD coach I think he's done a great job at growing. And the team ALWAYS plays hard. They may not execute, and last year there was very little talent, but they never roll over and die. That's not a failing coach.

Agreed about turnovers, but moreso on the defense. The defense needs to create some (any?!?!) turnovers in order to take that next step.

Jets79, Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Breaking down all our shortcoming against the vikings would take all day. But one I noticed was our corners continued to play 10 yards off on third and short. I get it was a bend don't break idea, but on third and short, it was a head shaker. This gave them several easy first downs, and at least twice that I remember those drives ended up in points.

12. Losmeister

we'd just pound it in if the OL was THAT type of OL... its not.

13. Losmeister

look at the roster.

the talent level is RADICALLY better this year, thus getting results. he just said FUCK IT last year and threw all the rooks out there to take their lumps.

imo

14. The_Darksider

DING DING DING DING DING!!!! Perspective is everything. I would have LOVED 7-10 at the start of the year, but we got to 5-3 and since then have given 4 winnable games away, 3 if you wanna say we didn't really give the second Buffalo game away. It's all about HOW we gave them away - dumb mistakes, stupid penalties and turnovers, lack of execution in the red zone - and that's frustrating. It's no longer "well we're better than we thought we'd be" - NO! Until we start learning how to take advantage of the opportunities we are NOT better. And we need to stop aiming for "better than before" because.....we sucked. There's a lot of room to be "better than before" and still suck.

LAJet likes this.
  15. The_Darksider

Sure, the talent is better. But he's holding players accountable, he's shown a lot more enthusiasm and life this year, and I like a lot of his in-game decisions. Not all, of course, but last year he seemed overwhelmed a lot of the time. He's a young coach learning as he goes just like the players are. There's plenty of teams that have stacked talent and do nothing, and there's plenty of teams with less talent that do a lot. To me, there's a noticeable improvement.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Not to bust chops but the in bold read like ”So everything else aside, how’d you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?”

Borat likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Bottom line fact. We gave at least away 3 winnable games. The whole team from the CS on down needs to figure out the supreme difference between better performance and iron will of finding a way to score and win the game when given the chance.
    We are not there yet. Hope we find the magic over the next 4 games.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, a bit. LOL!

But he moved the ball and threw for 350 yards and couple of TDs, showing to me that when he keeps his composure he can play well. But that 10 point swing really seemed to throw him (and frankly the rest of the team) off. You could feel the momentum swing, and familiar "SOJ" feeling descend. Whatever happened to him in that game seemed to carry over into the next game - he never recovered, sort of a "Ghost" game for him. I hope he's fully exorcized now.

joe likes this.
  19. Losmeister

the roster was so thinc last year that he'd hafta promote practice squad dudes if he benched anyone...

i think game managemnetg has shown improvement

its just that i think its MORE to do w/ roster.... tho you make good points as well

20. Losmeister

you cant GIVE AWAY a game that you were trailing the whole way.

cherry picking this and that play eliminated and THEN we win? is a losers game

and YES those games were winnable... and YE|S it sucks....

but playing that "if these 3 plays went our way..." is how i thought when i was a teenager

cval likes this.