KO's dept. in 2007 : NO nugent ? ? ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

hey , my buudy just e-mailed me & said that Westoff wants to try Graham on KO's in preseason ( 2007 ).

anyone else hear 'bout this ? ? ?

p.s. imho ; we can't afford to take up 2 roster spots w/ 2 kickers . i think Ben has a strong enough leg to get it into the EndZone on KO's.

[​IMG]

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm sure that your "buddy" has the inside track and knows exactly what will happen this offseason. Please tell us when the team is about to sign its first big, marquee, free agent.

3. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Yea He kicks off in Madden for me :p

4. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

I doubt it. As someone said before, punting and kicking require two completely different kicking styles. Graham has been punting for his professional (NFL and Aussie) career. He may not excel at kickoffs, and trying to experiment may screw up his punting ability as well.

5. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

we have to try something. its not that hard to learn kicking technique.

6. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

I'm sure if Graham could kick off he would be doing it by now, he has been Working with Westoff for almost three years now

7. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

It's worth a shot, nuge can't kickoff but is awesome at FGs.

8. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Nuge is the man. I think he's one of the best kickers in the NFL right now. But yesterday his Kick offs sucked ass. He's just too inconsistent. I don't know why he can't manage them.

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be against it...plus Ben Graham could probably help in kickoff coverage.

10. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

It could work, those Aussie Rules Football players can do it all, you ever watch that game? I think he can def learn to kickoff.

11. kelly

kelly Banned

i think nuge had 2 TB's all year . . . :(

12. All Star

All Star Active Member

Ben Graham can kick it farther punting it than Nuge can kicking off a tee..........

13. cass2005

cass2005 New Member

His kickoffs were not great yesterday. I just got off the phone and heard that the jets suspect the Patriots paid off the ball boys (it's a fairly common practice in home games although it happens less lately). Basically, you slip the ball boys a few hundred bucks and they let you use the ball of your choice for the game rather than a brand new k ball. Also, they will give the opposing team the k ball that fells the worst (not every new ball is the same). Apparently, Gastowski used the same ball the entire game but it wasn't discovered until the fourth quarter. Nuge said he hasn't gotten this bad of balls the entire season.

Thus, it would help explain why his kickoffs were far worse yesterday than the past few weeks. Leading up to this week guys had been commenting on how nugent kickoffs were much better lately.

Also, to Kelly. I will say it again. Graham is not even the backup kicker. He absolutely cannot kick off the ground. I am not sure how close of a source you have to Westoff but you may want to recheck it.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

you're buddy sucks??? ??? ???

15. cass2005

cass2005 New Member

??? did i miss something

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wow. Here we go again. Let's go over this one more time for all the people who haven't been paying attention.

Graham has ALREADY tried to learn to kickoff. It FAILED.

As for Nuge, his FGs have been pretty good, but let's not rush to say he's the best kicker in the game.

And as far as his KOs, they have consistently SUCKED. If anyone has paid even a little attention, when he does kick it deep, it is on a line drive. It's the same difference as kicking it high to the 25. Either way, the returner gets a good 3 steps before the first defender gets near him. By that point, the blocks have been set, and the returner has had a chance to see the entire field.

But let's keep taking Nuge's side. If everyone is going to hang on to the Chad bandwagon, it only makes perfect sense.

Vilma gets ripped for blowing a play, but Nuge and Chad can do no wrong. I get it, the problem is, everyone here LIKES the Same Old Jets.

17. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

when has graham tried? i dont remember any reports on that..

18. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Are kick-offs a technique Nugent can work at and improve on during the offseason?

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

It must have been last year. I don't remember exactly, but it was even posted on this board.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't think so. He just doesn't have the leg strength to do it. He has uncanny accuracy from short to mid range, in terms of FGs. But he just can't aim a long one. The few times he's kicked it hard, it has bounced out of bounds.