The loss hurts, but feels good to know we have a QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Dec 4, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yesterday was only Mike White's 5th NFL start. Just to put it in perspective.

He is tossing it up and down the field and IMO exceeding expectations. Not to mention his teammates really seem to rally around him.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I still don't understand why Berrios cut this outside. I fully agree with Nania here that this flag is more on Berrios than Fant.

You could argue Fant should've just realized what Berrios was doing but it's a tough ask IMO.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's ok to get excited about the potential of MW and this offense while also remaining somewhat skeptical.

The sample size is still too small to anoint MW as our Franchise QB but he's certainly shown a lot more than ZW did in a much larger sample size.

MW should be the starter going forward. If he starts the remaining 5 games, he'll have started 11 games over the last 2 years. That is definitely a large enough sample size to have a decent idea of what you can expect from MW.

Big test coming up for him and this team. Let's see how they respond.

4. BrowningNagle

2 red zone drives ruined by Berrios.

He took it outside because he didn't want to get hit IMO

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's probably my biggest critique of MLF at this point. There's no reason these plays shouldn't be designed for Elijah or GW.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

7. BrowningNagle

Agreed. They are both much better in space

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He thought he saw a better opening there. If he goes inside, it looks like two guys are blocked , but the 3d one is coming free. I don't think Berrios is afraid to get hit, he just thought he had it on the outside, but made a mistake. Just like he made improvisation to get open on that Mike's pass in the endzone, where he route was supposed to be different, but he did get open, and just couldn't catch the ball.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

True enough, though there's a very, very good chance the Jets sweep the Pats if they had a QB playing about half as good as Mich Bianco has. That would have made this a matchup of two 9-2 teams who people would have been looking at as a potential Super Bowl preview.

The offense isn't as bad as it's looked for most of this season, even with the injuries they've sustained. That said, they did cost the team the game today. To many mistakes, but even that's a huge improvement over the rank incompetence we've seen in the passing game for most of the year.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Why, because I’ve been saying Zach sucked before everyone else finally opened their eyes? He sucks. The kid fucking handed a ball of to a RB on a pass play against the Pats. That’s how atrociously bad he is. Literally the ultimate onfield display of “fuck it I can’t do this, you take it”. Zach sucks. Mike White does not suck. He may not be great, but he sure as hell doesn’t suck.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

444444444444444444444444444444444444444iokjlmon,oAZX=\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    Obviously I'm a biased prejudiced Jet fan but it really seemed to me this game was loaded with what our defensive coordinator calls "except fors"

Everything went right "except for"

We got more than our fair helping of except fors yesterday... Sometimes its just not your day. It doesn't mean GW can't run routes, we need to fire MLF, release Berrios, make Conklin wear the ass ears etc.

Although that play was exceptionally frustrating and Conklin would probably look pretty good with any kind of funny hat on.

IIMeanDeanII and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

He didn’t want to. It was a bad pass that took him backwards and his momentum outside.

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

seriously..I was watching the Monday Night Football pregame and Steve Young was so blatantly homering for Zach it was disgusting …. He was saying Saleh hasn’t handled this right and how could you sit and reactive the number 2 overall pick…like clearly he hasn’t been watching any games

how about 55% completion with balls in the dirt and over receivers heads, how about 170 yards per game, how about only 4 TDs in 7 games and how about more picks than TDs? Is that enough for you, Steve Young? Man what a stupid take.

white has out up significantly better numbers and it’s not even close

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

LaFleur needs to be canned he is incompetent as a play caller and how many more games do you want him to blow? This was more than a winnable game and MLF flat-out blew it. I could deal with players having a bad game or dropping passes as long as the effort is there. Having a coordinator dialing up goofy plays just cannot happen. MLF is not creative, he also is not talented, and putting in Berrios (who I am a fan of at a pivotal moment was a head scratcher. Do you mean to tell me, Davis, Moore, and Wilson were not available? He also needs to have Conklin exclusive as a blocking TE ONLY. His hands at bricks. Mike White was putting it right in his catch radius and he was dropping balls like he had money on the game.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree.

To be fair though. Berrios was "Mr. Reliable" In the eyes of many. I can understand why they would put him there, he Is typically dependable. Against the Vikings though... Yeah, not so much.

I think that they have to adapt after that. Hopefully this will be a learning lesson and we won't see this anymore.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If Berrios catches the ball. We win.
    If Bam stretches for a yard. We win.
    If Mike White doesn't over throw Garrett Wilson. We win.
    If Garrett Wilson doesn't trip on the goal line. We win.

..and so forth.

If any of these things are properly executed by the players. We win.

Which also means. Opportunity for a win Is/was most certainly there. Multiple times over. If that's the case, then the offense works. The scheme works. Which also means.... The OC Is doing his job... The OC can only give the players opportunities.

That was achieved In multiple ways.

I still don't get the MLF hate.

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

31/57 is less than 50% now?

You mention a shoulda been interception but not a shoulda been touchdown?

haters gonna troll

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Good call out. It does tend to happen more in the negative fashion than the positive with a lot of posters. I think we all fall into that trap sometimes when we’re trying to make a point.

They had a lot of chances to win the game. I wouldn’t put Mike White high on the list of reasons they lost.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm there yet. These next few games are going to be huge. I'm glad we're going to get a prolonged look at him, since I'd love for the Jets next franchise QB to already be on the team.

I didn't think he played great against Minnesota. He made some big boy throws, but I thought he was inaccurate early on, which contributed to the early deficit. I still think he's the best QB on the roster.

I do love having a QB that is letting us see where the rest of the offense stands. He's making G. Wilson look like an absolute stud.

SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and HomeoftheJets like this.