How do you think we should address the QB position?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Feb 18, 2006.

1. 1028

1028 Active Member

Lets hear some thoughts in what should hopefully be a very interesting conversation...

2. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Trade for Peyton Manning.

There's so many ways that have been argued on this board that it's just too much... my personal favorite (as cutting Chad seems more and more evident) is drafting Vince Young.

3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Draft a 2nd day QB. I think one of the big reasons for the Pats success is getting a 6th rd All Pro in Brady. They had him for how many years on a cheap contract? Let's not lock up tons of cash on a position where 1st rd picks don't often translate into success. Give Whitehurst or Croyle a chance, if they don't pan out back to the draft board next year. All the while building up the needed pieces elsewhere.

4. 1028

1028 Active Member

Well yeah I just to hear the many different ways

I would keep Chad and let him prove himself. And maybe draft a QB like Whitehurst early day 2. If Chad proves himself we just saved ourselves a whole mess of trouble. If not, we cut him next year (therell be a cap penalty but since it itll be an uncapped year it wont cripple us) and look to pick either Brady Quinn or Chad Henne

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

What? Well if you think a 6th round pick has a better chance to be our franchise QB then a 1st rounder then we should stay with Brooks Bollinger to lead the franchise to the glory land right?

6. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

As much as I know Aaron Brooks sucks, I think the best long term course of action for the Jets is to sign him for a couple of seasons, trade down to address multiple areas (as opposed to Cutler/Young/Ferg at 4), and fix the cap situation. They arent going to be a very skilled team next season no matter what they do, so they may as well try to build as much as they can.

7. Imagesrdecieving

I wasn't trying to say that a 6th rounder is the way to go. I was trying to make the point that historically QB is the type of position where guys in the mid-late rounds have as good a rate of panning out as the 1st rd guys. What I left out was that we have so many holes I dont wanna gamble with my 1st rounder this year. Whitehurst or Croyle won't be available in the 6th but one of them should be there in the 3rd. Let's not reach with our #4 when we have just as good odds in the 3rd.

8. jmiller22

jmiller22 New Member

aaron brooks

9. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

My three options in no particular order:

If cut by the Redskins, Patrick Ramsey could be picked up for a reasonable price. Has a strong arm, enough experience to learn from mistakes and could improve under a new system.

Draft Jay Cutler with the 4th overall pick or trade down to the 7-12th pick and hope you can still get him.

Draft Brodie Croyle in the 2nd-3rd round. (Probably my top choice)

10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I like Cutler.... before the hype started. I have read a very long article that featured Jeff Fisher talking about him, and what his impressions and thoughts were after coaching him in the senior bowl. I like Cutler even more now, after reading what Fisher had to say about him. My biggest worry is that the Titans might take him now.

Second day QB's RARELY work out. Some people seem to think lightning can strike twice, with references to Brady.... aint gonna happen. It's very unrealistic to think a second day QB will be some future pro bowler.

I just like the combination of tools Cutler has, and how they will transfer to the NFL game. He is big enough, he has pretty good mobility, and a great arm. Like all rookie (or at least almost all) QB's, he needs some work on his mechanics, and his decision making, but I see him playing for a bad college team as a plus. I think for guys like Young and Leinart, they will have trouble adjusting to playing with a lack of playmakers and good O line.

I'd rather gamble on a guy that has a strong arm, and is more of a pocket passer prospect than Leinart and Young are, respectively. I also like his mental approach to the game. He's a tough kid, who doesn't get shook up very easilly.

11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I say first thing is to cut Chad and all ties with him.

Best three possible senarios:

Trade Abe for Rivers. He is already inder contract and the Chargers are stuck with the signing bonus.

Sign Billy Volek. He is a good QB and we could get him cheaper than you might think. He want to start!

Draft Whitehurst in the 3rd round and name him starter from day one. Sure he will have a rough year but most of the best QBs had a rough time there first year. We would have a starting QB and be paying him not much more than league minimum plus a small bonus. Sign him to a five year contract. Being named the starter from day one would motivate him to sign quickly.

Now the worste three senarios I don't want to see:

Drafta QB at #4 where we will be giving an unproven rookie just as much money as we were paying Chad.

Trading for Ramsey.

Signing a has been or never was like Collins or Brooks for one or two seasons.

* If we keep Chad around it will hinder who ever we bring in to start and give fans false hope. We need a new face to pin our hopes on.

Also we should keep Bollinger as the #2, he earned it!

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

You can first forget trading Abraham for Rivers..... Brees won't get tagged, and it looks like he'll be a UFA. Forget Collins too.... he's staying at Oakland. Forget Brooks, because he sucks. Whitehurst is ChadII. Weak arm, no thank you. This team needs a franchise QB.... and that costs money. The third QB taken in the draft is not going to cost as much as Pennington did. Sign Vloek? Huh? He's under contract.... are you just throwing darts here? You only seem to like things that have no chance of happening, instead of a dose of reality.

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

First, if the 4th over all pick in the draft is a QB he will get a bigger contract than Rivers received two years ago as the #4 pick. Each year the contracts go up by 5%-10% over the previous contract. Rivers makes $7 million a year, but Rivers already received his bonus from the Chargers so he only gets the base salary for the last three years of his contract. Marty will help out his son if we do want to trade Abe for Rivers.

Second, Volek would cost a mere 2nd or 3rd round pick compared to the #4 overall Cutler would. He was told he would be the starter this season and if they draft Young he will want out in a hurry. Also Volek is a proven QB with a good arm, while Culter looked horrible during the senior bowl.

Third, Whitehurst is a solid QB with one of the strongest arms in college. You must not have seen him out play Cutler in the Senior Bowl. Whitehurst is 1-1/2 inched taller and 10 pounds heavier too. The official measuurements on Cutler at the Senior Bowl were 6'2" and 215 lbs. I would much rather select Whitehurst with a 3rd round compensation pick than Cutler with the #4 overall. Cutler will want around $7 million a year while Whitehurst would cost no more than $500,000 a year over the length of a five year contract.

You have no clue!

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Cut Chad, sign a vet, draft Cutler.

15. Imagesrdecieving

Where is the money going to come from to absorb Chads dead cap money, and sign a veteran, and pay Jay Cutler #4 money, and revamp the OLine so our 7 million dollar a year Cutler doesn't get broken?

16. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

yea but they didnt draft him intending to ever have to play him, we need someone to play

i say we coax Brady Quinn to come out (its a shame its too late)

17. Imagesrdecieving

I'm fine with Bollinger weathering the rebuilding storm while a young guy develops. Remeber people we can have our cake and eat it to. Rebuilding means eating at least one bad season. You have to be realistic. I would view an 8-8 season as if we made it to the superbowl with the situation that we are in.

18. Right now our offense doesnt have an identity. And for the most part that stems from the lack of a presence at QB. If there is one thing we can hope for from the offense this coming season in the wings of rebuilding is to have some sort of closure at the QB position.

Therefore I think we hafta go one of 2 routes.

1. Trade down to 7-12 range and select the excess of the big 3 QB's
    2. Trade down to 7-12 and if no qb is there go BPA (preferribly OL) and take a 2nd round QB like Brodie Croyle.

19. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

1. Cut Chad
    2. Trade Abe to SD for Rivers
    3. Have Rivers and Fiedler battle for starting job in training camp.
    2006 Depth Chart
    Phillip Rivers
    Jay Fiedler
    Brooks Bollinger
    --or-- (if Rivers doesn't impress in camp)
    Jay Fiedler
    Phillip Rivers
    Brooks Bollinger

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Fiedler won't be on the team next year.