So, how good are we really?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 28, 2022.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

New England still has to play Bengals, Miami, & Bills twice . I really think we can stay ahead of Patriots in the standings.

Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Homer :D

For me it comes down to both Vikings and Bills games. Both games on the road against great offenses. If we play a competitive game in both where Mike White looks above average, I think we will make the playoffs. How far we go in the playoffs will depend on who we play with. Two teams I want to avoid in the playoffs are Chiefs and Titans if we make it to the playoffs.

HomeoftheJets and Losmeister like this.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think most people realize the situation. But if we're being honest, this team does have a championship level defense. 7 touchdowns allowed in the last 7 games - 0 in the 4th quarter. That's elite.

The offense depends on the QB, the captain obvious statement of the century. But the NFL, and AFC in particular, are littered with good teams and not great ones.

The Jets are basically on the same level of every team not named the Chiefs. And that's ONLY because of Mahomes. I could argue the Jets roster outside of QB is better.

AtlantaJet and Losmeister like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This defense is good enough to go toe-to-toe with any team in the AFC.

Average QB play and they can go on a run in the playoffs. Anything less than that, they're maybe one win and out at best.

hornblower likes this.
  5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

there are 6 games to play ..... Much improvement made and that's very good. We'll be a playoff teamif we make playoffs. Not b4.

I don't mean to say we shouldn't be gLad where we are. I am chuffed.

But..... We cannot assume a single win.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. Losmeister

I was hoping for feedback on my earlier Rich Gannon comparison to Mike effin White

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

1000% . They could get rolled the next two weeks and the season can be bleak.

I'm extremely interested/excited to see what happens.

Love the Gannon comp. I was thinking Derek Carr lite. If Mike White gives them average to above average QB play, they should the playoffs.

hornblower and Losmeister like this.
  8. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

Didn’t he lead you guys back to beat Cleveland down 30-17 to win 31-30 in week 2?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would be that pesky "notwithstanding" part. Don't get me wrong, that was a fun game at the end, but aside from that comeback, Flacco was sleepwalking. Dude cares less than Smoking Jay.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In the next two weeks we play the Vikings and the Bills.

After that we will have a pretty good idea if we are contenders or pretenders.

Cman68 and Lon Chaney like this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

0-1 so far.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

No es bueno.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Even though the Jets lost the game, they did outplay Vikings for the most part. 6 scoring drives should have been enough and they were on the verge of converting so many of them.

I feel if they did more outside runs and more runs in general, it could have put them over the top, but they were basically neck and neck and that's a 10-2 team. I honestly I thought the Jets were going to win after they first got the ball down 5 in the fourth. This team can compete with anybody, but it's a young team so you will see miscommunications and mistakes.

The miscommunication with Wilson in the end zone was a killer, I have no doubt he would have been open if he ran to the corner. Was also surprised Moore couldn't drag the toe on that critical play as well. Garrett Wilson is a stud and this team has a bright future.

Even if the Jets miss the playoffs this year, I'm not worried because they took a huge step forward, especially on defense. Next season should be even better.

Losmeister and James Hasty like this.
  14. Losmeister

i passed over this b4 the game.

Championship D , to me mind you, means either best in AFC or NFC . We are not one of the top 2 defensive teams.

for instance, 21st in 3rd downs allowed.

We've made strides, but peeps got media drunk... this is NOT a SB contending team.

Steppimng up from a 3/4 win team to a .500 team is progress. And am glad of it.

15. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The D is very good.

On Occasions it can be outstanding but we're probably missing a little speed in the LB department and we don't have that Bosa/Garrett/Donald type player who can wreck havoc all day long that'd take us to truly elite.

Losmeister likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The D is top ten good….but not yet top two or three…we have a very good pass rush and the CBS are great…I think our LBs have been pretty good as well. But we still have too many drives where we can’t get off the field and give up too many runs for chunk yards it feels like.

I think the D is good enough to win with…the offense is coming along…was definitely held back by Zach and then the injuries to AVT and Hall really hurt our play making ability but GW is showing signs that he is a true dominant #1…Davis is uneven…he’ll make a big catch but he’s also good for a drop or two every other game seems like. Ot sure with Moore…Zach had no idea how to get him the ball so we’ll see how chemistry continues to develop with White but it just feels like he should be playing better than he is. I think we are what we are…a fringe playoff team who is capable of going toe to toe with any team but not yet consistent enough on both sides of the ball to be a legit SB contender.

all in all, HUGE strides and it feels like we are on the cusp…we’re young, we talented, and if we can settle out the QB room we should be good for a while.

JD has built this the right way through the draft with young impact players at key positions (we felt this on cutdown day when we had to let go a few good players who were quickly scooped up…we’ll probably see more of that next year too)… and Saleh is managing the team well…

future looks bright

Centiment and Since1969 like this.
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I still don't know. At minimum, the Jets are a good team. I don't know if they're great yet.

They just barely lost to the 9-2 Vikings in Minnesota. In a game littered with dropped passes, tipped interceptions and brutal penalties, the Jets were one dropped pass in the endzone from winning the game.

I feel like as a Jets fan, I'm just waiting for the shoe to fall off and to get blown out, but it doesn't happen. They're always competing.

I think they're probably in the lower half of the top 10 teams in the league right now.

Losmeister likes this.
  18. Losmeister

for me they are in the 12-16 range... but yeah...compete level has gone up ALOT

Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  19. Losmeister

this seems to be a popular narrative.

Minny would had time to get a gw FGA,

There was 1:43 on the clock.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Betcha next year whomever is coming back after playing in London won't choose the Jets....

Acad23 likes this.