The Robinson Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Nov 30, 2022.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35149955/after-dnp-jets-rb-james-robinson-upset-wonders-how-fits

Anybody got any ideas? On the surface you can write it iff as he is not a good fit, but it seems like the same situating keeps following this guy around. Is he too injured to be effective anymore or is there something we aren't hearing about?

Personally I would prefer he worked out, because being in the postseason with that many backs would be awesome. Are they sitting him to avoid the escalator?

Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He was beloved in JAX... then came in another new regime. I know he's had knee issues (and his injury to close out the season last year), but my buddy said he looked great in limited action. Looked ok, with the JETS, (no not the same as his rookie year) but I'm guessing something was missed in the playbook and Saleh is keeping receipts

themorey and abyzmul like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Can’t be because they’re trying to limit the pick going to Jax.

4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Everytime he’s had an opportunity here he looked slow. Not sure if that’s just him or his injury but I do recall him having his knee drained since he’s been here.

Cman68, 94Abraham and Ray Lucas like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He is completely healthy and pissed he is not playing. With M Carter most likely out I expect him to be active.

egelband likes this.
  6. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Saleh isn’t messing around. You don’t perform you don’t play. They sat the number two wunderkind pick.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

James Robinson is upset? Shit. I guess we messed up. We forgot that this guy didn't come here not to play. All right, stop everything. Get the Bears on the phone and see if they'll replay the game. Send James Robinson a dozen roses and tell him he's active and please like us.

FOH James Robinson.

egelband, boozer32, Ray Lucas and 3 others like this.
  8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This is what it boils down to, produce or get off the field. That's the way it should be.

Jojo likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s pretty strange. He was great his rookie year for them and finished 9th in all-purpose yards. I remember them saying on one of the broadcasts that they were scared to put him on the field week one because they didn’t know if he’d be able to adjust to the speed from the level of competition he came from.

Something tells me he excelled in Marrone’s system because I’d have to imagine Marrone had him following a pulling guard or a double team down block on a defensive tackle. The zone game is pretty unique if you’ve never played in it.

I would like to see him on the field on third down with Ty Johnson though. He’s a good pass catcher.

Jojo and abyzmul like this.
  10. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I always thought Robinson was damaged goods, possibly severely. Teams don’t just junk cheap RB’s like that.

Him popping off makes me appreciate the Michael Carters of the world, never heard him say one word when his Carries were impacted by Breece.

And I know there’s a thread on here killing him, but Chris Simms was right the other week in saying that we have “too many young guys who talk in Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson.” Add Mr. Robinson tk that list

azhar80, burf, PJ4Ever and 1 other person like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They all talk now. It's a generation raised with cameras recording them at all times.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He is way too slow. Jacksonville snuck one by us

I dont think they will deal with his mouth. Elijah Moore was one thing, he is talented, they invested in him and they kinda knew the QB had issues. Robinson? Hell they benefit from not playing him. He ought to keep quiet or he might find himself cut

legler82 and 94Abraham like this.
  13. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Well he certainly hasn't shown much since he's been here. That Bam Knight looked pretty darn good though last Sunday. Not sure why he was inactive, but perhaps he'll get an opportunity to show something in the coming weeks.

SOJAZ, wewantsapp and Stevied like this.
  14. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Would prefer an athlete to speak his mind, instead of spouting all the same scripted PR bullshit over and over again. The free speech policy also gives the players plenty of rope to hang themselves with, as we've seen all season. Just another way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Snatch Catch, SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

IDK about cutting him--from what we know, the contract escalator says 600/yds in season--not x amount of yards with NYJ. He gets cut, a team like Houston can pick him up and run him all day and we give up a 5th. Plus he's on a minimum contract.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt--a "journalist" might have stuck a mic in his face at the wrong time--plus he wants to play--that's a good sign IMO. And we can use him--he's looked ok to me.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

he is not slow. i think he may appear to be slow because he is still grasping the playbook and is probably thinking a lot. which is also why he was probably inactive. i'm glad he's upset, it means he cares.

SOJAZ, papapump, RochesterJet and 3 others like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

fair enough, good points

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make an impact down the stretch.

19. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, the question is whether Robinson is sufficiently better than their other options to play him and have to give up a 5th rather than a 6th round pick. I think the coaching staff has concluded that, at least while he's learning the playbook, Bam Knight and Michael Carter are better options for now that don't require the surrender of a 5th round pick. I think he'll get his touches, but I think they'll be a lot more limited than he expects and the Jets may end up keeping their 5th round pick. When Knight and Carter are both healthy, he'll be, at best a 3rd back and, possibly a 4th and that will result in more limited opportunities for him.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Anyone else this this is more "gossip" or "clickbait" than it is something to discuss? Of course he wants to play. He made a comment that I'd expect any player to make. Plus, suddenly being deactivated and replaced by a practice squad player would be a huge bummer to any player. Non-story to me.

I want to read about the health and status of our Offensive line. What's up with Fant and Duane Brown? Didn't Max play well last week? Tired of Zach drama and now, this BS. :mad: