Mike White Arm Strength

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Nov 28, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Probably an adjustment made after seeing the 1st string QB throw 90MPH fastballs in the dirt every week

abyzmul likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think the Chad comparisons are fair. I don't think anyone's going to claim his arm is as strong as Zach's.... but unlike Wilson, he actually has good timing, plants his feet, and throws with his legs.

The fastball thing is kinda stupid.... the mechanics / technique is so much different..... I guess we'll see if he has a deep drop from the shotgun to wind-up and huck a hail-mary downfield ;)

#22 stinkyB, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

average... whcih is fine

SOJAZ, Lon Chaney and stinkyB like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Like, uh, um, er, Browning Nagle? Only he would hit guys in the sternum and balls would bounce out of their hands. I need a drink and it's only 9:18 a.m.

Cman68 and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. jetophile

The litany of failed Jets QBs, Kellen Clemens had his baby blessed by the Pope and it still didn't help us. o_O

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Actually no. Chad was always known for a weak arm coming out of College, that was his biggest weakness, which was confirmed in NFL.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/72577-player-analysis-pros-and-cons-of-chad-pennington
    http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/s/profile/cpennington.html
    "Weak Points: Pennington's biggest flaw is his ability to throw the deep ball." "In addition to his mobility, scouts have doubts about the arm strength of Pennington"

For Mike White, as I already pointed out in another thread, big arm was his strength in College. Basically the opposite. " Arm Strength White’s arm talent is considered to be one of his best attributes. He can throw the ball with good zip but also with touch when required. As a former baseball player, he was apparently capable of throwing a 90+ miles per hour fastball." Strengths: "Arm talent is the first thing you notice" "POSITIVES. —Big arm. White has the strength to get the football to all three levels and outside the hash."
    https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/2/8/21120326/scouting-jets-quarterback-mike-white
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mike-white/32005748-4936-7864-3ac7-015862958e61
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-2018-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick

So, there is no need to convince White has a strong arm, it's just a fact. It's not comparable to Chad. What's comparable is lack of mobility. I was also thinking White had a weak arm based on Cincy game, since we have not seen Mike much more than that, but when I saw he made a pretty effortless pass to Moore for 35 yards on Sunday, I thought to research it some more, and he has a much bigger arm than Chad, there is no doubt about it. He actually led FBS in 30 and 40 yard completions. Here is some College tape, highlights, I know, but for the purposes of arm strength, that will do. Numerous 40+ yard in the air passes, including 50+ ones. Arm strength is not an issue with guy. Mobility is, but we are good as far as the arm is concerned.

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Brady doesn't exactly have a cannon for an arm and neither does Russell Wilson.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You don't need a really strong arm to play QB in the NFL. You do need accuracy, touch and poise.

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i wonder sometimes... does a guy MOTION lead to different perceptions... i mean, some guys the ball seems to leap outtatheir hands... other guys, like MW, with more eleaborate motions doesnt SEEM that fast coming out. TB12 is like that too.. no one questioins his arm.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was talking about on this forum.

Edit: aren't you the same guy that was popping off with advanced analytical jackassery from PFT 2 years ago about how wonderful Zach was going to be? How's that working out?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

His first throw of the game, the slant to Garrett Wilson had some spicy heat on it

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He has a fantastic arm, some people are just stupid and bitter that Zach’s super arm couldn’t throw a pass in a decent breeze.

Ralebird and 50ShadesOfGreen like this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

He's also pretty accurate. Way more accurate than Zach....

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

That throw wow'ed me. Looked at the guy next to me and we both said zach doesn't make that throw. Same thing with the EM throw catch + run

15. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

White has a legit NFL arm.
    Not elite strength, but can make all the throws.
    People compare him to Pennington, his arm and even moreso overall game is more inline with Brady (a poor-man’s if you will).

His height - 6’5”, frame, accuracy, throwing motion/release and approach (are all Brady like) - kills you with short accurate passing, then when you try to stop those, hits you with longer, accurate intermediate passes (Wilson, Moore)…
    Pennington never could do that part.

BTW - when a Qb lacks arm strength, it’s painfully obvious - Greg McElroy, Trevor Semian, etc..
    Just like when they are inaccurate it’s also painfully obvious - Browning Nagle, Christian Hackenburg, etc.

Mike White has enough arm and accuracy in spades. If he can learn from the Buffalo game last year and better operate under pressure, he’s going to be the long term starter we’ve been craving forever.

You have to be pretty damn excited with him at the helm…

Brook!, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Of course we are talking about this forum, Einstein. We are talking about a specific trait (arm strength) that can be observed. Read the post, review the comparisons in links, and watch the video, then get back to me if you still think Mike's arm is as weak as as Chads.

Also, you must have me confused with someone else. I never talked about Zach's Pulmonary Function Tests. Cannot really answer if they are wonderful or not.

17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Mike White’s arm strength is on par with Deshaun Watson. Not elite but a tad above average

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No one here that I recall ever criticized White arm strength, period, everyone has been most complimentary, so your cavalier comment calling people stupid and bitter is a classic pull it out of your ass input to add some more off the wall shit on Zach

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree and he also throws a very catchable ball. There's more to being a quarterback than just having a cannon for an arm.

20. jetophile

In case anybody was wondering, today is the 10th anniversary of the butt fumble. I'm a limitless fount of painful information. o_O

Brook! and Br4d like this.