So, how good are we really?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We are 7-4 and in the playoff race. We are in unchartered territory really. So how good are we?

Can we make it to the playoffs? If we do make the playoffs, can this team win a playoff game on the road?

How far are we from potentially winning the division and make it to the Superbowl?

What do you see when you look at the future of this team in the coming years?

I say we hit the motherload with Joe Douglas and Saleh. As long as these two are at the helm, Jets will stay relevant in the next 10 years. If we either luck out with Mike White ala Kurt Warner style or find a good vert like Carr or Garoppolo, I believe we will fight for the division for years to come and eventually make it to the big game within 3 years.

So, what are your thoughts?

azhar80, PJ4Ever, Patriot and 7 others like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes they can make the playoffs.

If they get hot at the right time they could win the Super Bowl.

The future depends on how well Douglas drafts, imo. So far, things are looking solid.

Jojo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

at this point we can certainly win a WC game and be competitive in a divisional round game.

the problem is getting into the playoffs.

me thinks that last NE game will be ultimate dagger this year.

4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

decent is what we are

5. Losmeister

Pls stop with the SB jazz, ffs.... It's like a junkie 2 days clean thinks he can go on to be president

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You got a crystal ball bud? I don’t think so.

Yea yea, something something “ignore list”.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yes, play smart, ball control football, and opportunistic defense can do some damage late in the season / post season.

hopefully that NE game isn't the tie breaker that breaks their backs... to lose when the defense giv s up 3 points :confused:

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Losmeister

SB talk is .... Oh never mind.... Noncrystalline balls here.... All good on victory monday

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think we're a good but not great team right now.

We have limitations at QB, and no this isn't a dig at Mike White. I seriously hope MW can keep up the level of play that we saw yesterday because if he can, we become a very dangerous team, but MW isn't Mahomes, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, etc.

The defense is elite, Top 5, arguably Top 3 IMO. We have dynamic guys at our offensive skill positions that can make plays with the ball in their hands. The OL seems to be coming together with Mitchell back in the fold so hopefully they can keep it going and continue to improve.

All that said, we can absolutely make the playoffs and yes, the division is still on the table for us as we're only 1 game back from both teams ahead of us with 1 game against both of those teams left on the schedule. Am I betting on us winning the division? No, but if we go 2-0 over the next 2 weeks, we'll have to revisit that.

The best thing about all of this is that this team is being led by it's young core. GW, Quinnen, Sauce, Reed, Elijah, MC, etc. so I would say the future for this team is very bright. Add a true ball-hawking FS this offseason and maybe another body to the LB room and this defense goes from being one of the best in the league to potentially historically good. If MW can keep his level of play up, great, re-sign him but I think no matter what happens with MW down the stretch we're looking at adding another QB either in the draft or FA (probably FA like you said in Carr, Jimmy G, etc.).

Totally agree with your last sentence Brook, I like the job JD and Saleh have done so far. It took some time, like they told us it would, but we're finally at the point where we have meaningful games in December. Find a capable QB (obviously easier said than done) and this team can absolutely compete in the AFC for the next few years. Exciting times!

PJ4Ever, SOJAZ, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Our defense keeps us in the games. We have a couple of really good offensive players but need consistent QB play. So we go as far as the QB takes us.

I also think our defenses creates a lot of fumbles but for some reason never recovers them.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets are a good young team that plays hard and more likely than not will be in every game they play. They are not yet at the point that can be completely trusted to put a game away. And while they are in my opinion still another year away from being a championship contender that are also the type of team that can become very dangerous this time of year and be the team nobody else wants to play come playoff time.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Said it in another thread. Zach was giving us uncompetitive play at the QB position. All White has to be is below average and this team will beat the shit out of a lot of teams. There are guys running wideopen every. single. play. Just throw it to them.

This D will keep you in every game. Nice few tests the next two weeks. Let's get at least one.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s the interesting part in all of this. We don’t really know how good the offense is because of the incompetence we’ve seen at QB. They might be average or even slightly above average with Mike White, and that would be a huge upgrade at this point.

Ozymandias, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Isn't this one of the most frustrating things? It's crazy how many times this happens.

Ozymandias and Jets81 like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We aren't a juggernaut yet, but we have the potential to be one in the near future once we get a few things settled and upgraded. First, we need to get our OLine stabilized. A stretch of a few games with the OLine entirely intact would go a long way towards stabilization. Once that's behind us, lets get the QB room squared away once and for all. If MW is the one, great. If ZW still needs more seasoning, let him ride the pine with his IPad and learn. If he's not good with that, either trade him near the end of his rookie deal or simply let him walk. Its not like he's shown anything to make anyone think he will morph into a mature NFL FQB. He might be the second Baker Mayfield or worse, the second Johnny Manziel.
    Now, for the defense that will require the least amount of upgrading, get faster and younger at the LB position.

We're almost there. We still have one ghost to slay and that ghost resides in NE. Our OC has to become friendlier with the ground and pound concept as it could be the perfect compliment to Air LeFleur. We close out games with it now. We will learn how to control games with it once back at full strength.

We're almost the 49'ers east.

16. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

It's been said for a few weeks now, we need AVERAGE QB play and we'd be a real force.

We got that Sunday and it was an easy W. We should be 9-2 and beaten NE 2x which would've put us in the contention for the #1 seed in the playoffs. It is what it is.

Do I think Mike White is an all-star? no, but i also don't rule it out either. Some people think bc he was a back up that he can't be a top qb or even above average. Hes been in the league a few years now, got time to sit and learn (like we should've probably done with Zach). So why can't he become a good QB?

If he plays like Sunday next week, watch the hype train take off!

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Good post agree with everything …. I think with NE it has become physiological at this point. Last year NE blew the Jets out both times. This year the schedule makers did the Jets no favors - scheduled the second NE game too close to the first and did so after a bye for both teams. A little bad luck during both games and the QB position was in flux. However at the same time both were one score games. The Jets are very close to slaying that dragon - I’m hoping they somehow get another shot at them in the playoffs….

SOJAZ and Brook! like this.
  18. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

It’s complicated. Zach being a possible bust is a bit of a back breaker, but breece hall being dominant may be able to help overcome that longer term.

SOJAZ, Losmeister and Cman68 like this.
  19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Robert Saleh is the architect of this team. His team is modeled after the San Francisco 49ers. Behind that entire theory is the belief that NOT everything revolves around the QB. It's the theory that says we need a DECENT QB not Aaron Rodgers.

Now, I'm not here to argue it's a good theory or not? I'm merely pointing out the Jets were 6-4 with BAD QB play. The only good thing you could say about Joe Flacco and Zach Wilson is they weren't turning the ball over.

I also heard this morning that because the Jets defense is so good the Jets are undefeated when the Jets offense scores more than 17 points.

We've also seen the Jets offense lose as many as 5 OL to injury along with our best RB and yet we're still winning?

In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, consider the source if you wish, the Jets have already demonstrated that there isn't a single team in the NFL they can't beat. They beat Buffalo and Miami. If the playoffs started today they would have beaten the number 2 and 5 seeds in the playoffs.

The Jets currently have an OL that's actually getting healthier. They got Max Mitchell and Nate Herbig back. They soon could get George Fant back. They have 4 running backs that have shown they can gain big yards when it matters. Don't forget with the game on the line the Jets made their intentions known to both Green Bay and Buffalo and neither of those teams could stop the Jets running game. That's called GROUND AND POUND.

With a decent QB in Mike White they demonstrated they discard bad competition like dirty laundry. That's what yesterday was.

So in my opinion, the Jets CAN win it all THIS season. Unless someone can demonstrate how a truly great QB can gash this defense then I'm a believer in what Saleh and Joe have built. This team is honestly the San Francisco 49ers of the east coast. I don't know if they'll even make the playoffs this season. I just know the players very much think they can win every single remaining game on their schedule with Mike White as QB. ALL of the players are supremely confident right now. The team is in a good place. They're all willing to put in the work and not take a single opponent remaining on their schedule for granted.

PJ4Ever, SOJAZ, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Right now , we’re exactly what the standings say we are, last in/first out one and done play off team. Defense that can keep us in any game and an offense that can beat bad defenses. Going forward, a healthier oline and breece hall along with average qb play and this is a legit contender.