Realistic QB Targets for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Minshew would be the most cost effective option. Wilson could be developed for the next couple of years, and hopefully he can be taught how to QB by the time Minshew’s contract is up.

2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Minshew would be the most cost effective and value for what he could bring. I think he would also thrive in this media, he likes the lime light. Carr I thought about and I just don’t think he would do well in this market at all. I think it’s Minshew or Jimmy G for me

IDFjet likes this.
  3. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I’m just exhausted from spending a top 5/even 1st round draft pick on a QB (ZWison & SDarnold) anymore.

RevisIsland18 and Cman68 like this.
  4. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

]You could not prove that based on their two QB picks so far.[/QUOTE]

wait what? James Morgan was drafted in the 4th round man stop it. That’s trying to just see if shit will stick, any player drafted at that point basically is. You making it seem worse because he drafted two QBs lol. I’m different I guess I’m happy he’s taking shots trying to get a good one eventually

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Neither of the QB's JD has drafted look like NFL QB's. It's not like he's made a lot of picks but when you make a high pick on QB he should look like more than a waste of a high draft pick.

IDFjet likes this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

no doubt its been a PITA enduring this stuff

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Rodgers is a pipe dream but we can easily create cap room for a garoppolo

we have 5 mill in cap room this year, but we start with 17 mill next year

Extend Q and Lawson … brings both of their cap numbers down
    Convert DJ Reed’s base salary to a signing bonus (safe move, he won’t be cut in the next two years)
    Offer CJ a reduction or he’s cut

Those moves along create plenty of cap room

Then draft herdon hooker in second round and he can sit for a couple years.

Profit.

Nyjets4eva and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Spending a lot of cap/picks to bring in a vet QB for next year is an extremely risky move. Garoppolo has been injured multiple times in his career. Rodgers is beginning to look old.

The better move is to find a vet who will take the job and manage things for us with a bit of upside when we need to rely on him. Much cheaper to find and less likely to blow out suddenly (like Favre in 2008) and leave us hanging.

Where the Jets are right now is kind of unfortunate but making further unfortunate moves is not in the best interest of the franchise at this point.

Stabilize things and then go find a real QB when the offense is installed. Make him a safe acquisition with some upside not a flashy high pick brought in to try to sell tickets. We've seen that and done that before. We're not idiots.

9. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

If they brought in Tom Brady I would still hate the cheating motherf*cker.

But I wouldn't be unhappy.

Brook! likes this.
  10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

That was all I needed to see. I'm in.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Jimmy G was minutes away from a ring. I would take my chances

12. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Same - it is clear nyj do not know how to grow a qb! Get me birsett!!

13. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

What really hurts is that we don't get to take advantage of a qb on a rookie deal. We brought Wilson into an awful situation that has improved dramatically. We still have to pay him even if he isn't active for the rest of his deal. goddman you Zach Wilson.

There's something to be said for waiting until you have a good and stable team built up and then making a move for your qb like the bills did with Allen or the Ravens did with Jackson. We are there now. I wouldn't be opposed to making a move to get our guy in the 1st round this year or next. Bring in Gardner Minshew, and use some draft capital to go get our guy. Just because Wilson hasn't worked out doesn't we should stop taking big swings.

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Hooker is 25 years old. Sit him for 2 years he’s 27/28 before his first game. I do agree on the premise though, draft a talented young guy who needs to sit for a couple years and learn. Someone like Zach, just do the right thing and sit him from day one

All Gas No Shake and IDFjet like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zach's only three years younger than Minshew, if Minshew is good, just anoint him the future and re-sign him.

papapump likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If we sign him and he performs then why not, if he doesn't then he is gone and either Wilson will have studied the game long enough to play QB or we sign another VET and move on.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Based on your responses this is what I summize. Don't bother drafting a QB because the Jets don't know how to develop a QB. Going after a top vet QB is a risky move so don't go there. So only option is getting some middle of the road no name QB manager type that is better than Zach because to you Zach has no future. And then what? Waste all the talent we have on this team now? Teams don't hit on QBs without a bunch of trial and errors. Period. Zach has 20 games under his belt with many tribulations but that relates to basically one season. Under that criteria teams would have dismissed the likes of most QBs, starting with Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and many others after year one.
    Bringing in a top vet and having Zach sit and learn is exactly the right move, and a move that should have been done in year one, which in your very own words, is the proper way of developing a raw young talent, something you have pointed out for ever is the Jets achilles heel..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Jimmy G please...

Garoppolo (. 833) has the highest career winning percentage as a starting QB in both the regular season and postseason, over Hall of Famer Otto Graham (. 792), Patrick Mahomes (. 783), Daryle Lamonica (.Nov 14, 2022

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

One other issue must be addressed before this offense works regardless of who is behind center next season. Is this Offensive Coordinator competent? Is he hamstrung by Zack's ineptness, or is he a major part of the problem?

Nyjets4eva and LAJet like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The offense has looked competent to very good when Flacco, Johnson, and White have been under center. And Zach missed open receivers multiple times last Sunday.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.