Just a thought for Jets Fans...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think he’s taking us to the Super Bowl but I’m open to the idea.

[​IMG]

James Hasty likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. The bold in particular is the crux of the current state with the Jets. We are solid on both sides of the ball and a contender now, short of a QB that can steady the offense, and provide leadership now. Flacco is not the answer as a leader nor as a mentor. He is just cruising. The question is which vet that could still allow Zach to develop under him for a year.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, I can think of Zach's hero up in GB. Not sure if Rogers would take the Jets' money, but if he did, that would provide a quantum leap in capability of the Jets as a team to challenge for a VLT. Maybe Rogers would mentor Zach since he had to sit behind Brett Farve for years. Can't count on that but I can dream..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It would depend on how many more years Aaron wants to play. Brady is a dream too, but for a year, that would be perfect. We would destroy BB hold for good. Tanehill might be a long shot. I can dream too.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yes, this might well be the best thing that can happen to the Jets. The worst thing that can happen to the Jets at this point is clinging on to the hope that this happens for a year or two and wasting the genuine talent that JD has built up. The odds of it not happening are far greater than the odds of it happening at present. They need a fall back. Bringing in Minshew or similar has to be the way to go. Have a genuine competition and go from there.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

His sunken cost value is nothing compared to the cost of throwing more bad money on him. This season he will only play again if Mike White is absolutely atrocious or gets hurt. So that puts us to next year with Zach. There’s absolutely no way the FO can go into next year counting on Zach and, assuming Mike White doesn’t light it up and solidify his spot as starter, we’ll absolutely have to look to sign a starting caliber FA. At that point Zach would have to win his job in an open competition convincingly. On top of that it’d be wise of our FO to draft a QB that has potential and sit him for a couple years. Realistically speaking, there’s a very good chance we’ve seen the last of Zach as a starter. And frankly his failure hurts the franchise about as minimally as a failed top QB prospect could so it’s not the end of the world.

James Hasty and Cman68 like this.
  7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It's not that Zach made a "mistake" that burned him. His dismissive attitude towards the press exposed him for not taking responsibility, therefore, how is he supposed to learn and move forward while in such denial? Statistics aside, exactly what kind of value does a QB have when he cannot stand up there and take bullets for the team when the wheels start coming off? Championships are won and lost mostly on how teams respond to adversity. Ducking accountability ensures you of only one thing: a quick burial.

Nyjets4eva, Since1969 and Cman68 like this.
  8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

First of all, ZW
    Not sure where you give him credit from coming out, to take the daggers and take courage? He put himself in that position to begin with. He had to come out to talk admitting the mistakes. He spoke to the team because coaches and players let him know about it. He thinks he’s prima Donna.

I am for the kid who has ego and confidence but if he performs well enough. But when things have been inconsistent, there’s some point you got to look at yourself and say “I own it and need to do better”. He didn’t at first. He didn’t last year. Whether this one here is a turnaround, we’ll see and hopefully it will re adjust his attitude and works hard to get better mechanically.

Cman68 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Man, I hate to pile on Zach at this point but after seeing Mac Jones play a decent game last night, it showed me just how wide the gap is between the two. Mac wasn't pressured at all like what we did to him and as a result, he looked pretty damn good on his throws. Much better than Zach in a open pocket. I hate to bring these names up, but Joey Harrington and David Carr comes to mind. Guys who got hit too often and became shell shocked.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

we all want zach to put it together.

anyone who doesnt is strange.

but we want to win now. hopefully this forces him to refocus a bit.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

David Carr was a *much* better QB than ZW has shown to date. His problem was checking down too quickly and missing the wide open guy down the field. This was because of all the sacks and other hits he took his first two seasons.

Harrington is a good comp as is Blaine Gabbert. Both of them should have been a season and a half and out because they just blew chunks. Harrington got the full Zach Wilson treatment and was on the field right away and got 4 full seasons despite it being pretty clear he was not a starting NFL QB.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

spot on!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree with not giving up on Zach, but I don't agree that if Zach fails it will set the team back years. This team has a lot of pieces in place on defense & offense to make a quick recovery from a failed Zach. A veteran Qb will make it a seamless transition, mabe not so quick with a rookie Qb.

Jets79 likes this.