Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Mike White is going to come in and thankfully make people forget about Zach Wilson.

We’re gonna see screens, short game executed to perfection, an ability to anticipate and find open targets and far more accurate intermediate passing.

It’s gonna be night and day…

Mike White played 4 games last year… Vs Cincy - he had statistical the best game ever for a first start in NFL history - 37/45 - 401 yards, 3 tds.

@ NE in his 2nd start again @ NE!!! And with a bad offense, young offensive coordinator, no run game - he completes 62.5%, 201 yards - 1 td-2 int…

then he plays well vs Colts completing 7/11 - 95 yards 1 td, no ints… but gets hurt (forearm)… in the first qtr…

so hurt that it didn’t look like he would be able to start vs buffalo… but he does and throws for 251 yards on the number 1 defense in the league… again with a bad offense…

Yes Mike White threw 4 picks in that game, but 1 was due to being down and getting too aggressive, one was miscommunication with his WR (WR fault), and one was slightly underthrown due to being under pressure…

this is what he says after -

"The only thing we can do is get better from it and not let this beat us twice and get into the film room and learn from our mistakes, me included and starting with me first. Being able to learn from what happened today and not let it happen again."

Mike White is a leader + maybe just maybe gonna do something special this year…

SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Awesome move to bench Wilson. Saleh has endured himself to me. That took some balls

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lam was a bad pick but nobody was offering 3 firsts and a 3rd for that pick.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting what you say, but I can only speculate why they passed on Justin and took Zach.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Again, it was the JETS decision, and they're not running a "pure" SF offense. I'm not going to try and defend their choice other than to say they obviously liked Zach and his skill set in their system more than Fields...and so did SF BTW since they tried to trade up to take Zach.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I said the same thing Monday... Saleh should have pulled Zach at the half. We possibly win the game and are in a better position
    all around to make the decision on who to start at QB.

There wouldn't have been Zach's flippant comment... the locker room wouldn't have grumbled... and we might be in 1st place in the East. All that forced Saleh's hand to not only bench Zach... but make him inactive.

Good coaches make changes when they're necessary.... great coaches make changes before they're needed.

#566 Acad23, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It likely doesn't get worse than 9-22 for 77yds, not seeing the field, terrible foot work, poor decisions, couldn't score points, still doesn't think It's on him, fuck the defense, and I will bet the fucking farm Mike White will get more than 2 yards In the second half..

Seriously, disaster has already struck the position. We can only go up from here.

#567 IIMeanDeanII, Nov 23, 2022
    SOJAZ, REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

There Is ZERO doubt In my mind that Justin Fields could operate effectively In this system. Zero.

Borat and legler82 like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

@ NE was actually the first time he played last season as that was the game Zach went down.

vs Cincy was his first start last year.

I do agree with your main point though. I think Mike White can come in, with an improved offense, and be the game-manager we had hoped Zach would be this year. We'll get a good indication on Sunday if that's true or not.

#569 KY Jets Fan, Nov 23, 2022
    SOJAZ, Borat and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Could you offer some tape from his BYU experience that supports this assertion?

11. BrowningNagle

What is wrong with Mike White? He has shown he gets the ball out to the receivers quickly. I like his chances. Don't be so butt hurt about Wilson.

12. ColoradoContrails

And yet, Douglas, they guy here many are heaping praise on - rightfully - for rebuilding this team and doing it so well, thought he was a great pick. Sorry, I think I'll go with his judgement over yours.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No doubt! I guess by disaster I mean putting all the blame on Zach and then going out and losing to the Bears with him inactive. Very Jets thing to happen. That is my worry.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

You are not wrong but I think Wilson has just been lazy with his footwork. He is not like Darnold who needed to be rebuilt.

He has shown that he can play fundamental football but lately you are right, it has been a mess because he's been lazy. That throw to Conklin across the middle that shoulda been picked off was just a dickhead throw. No energy, no focus, just lazily throwing it up. It is a great example of how he's been playing.

A change was 100% the right move

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

His judgement is currently being proven wrong. He also drafted James Morgan, are with him on that too? Let it go bro.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hey @ColoradoContrails, there have been many outspoken Anti-Zach people on this board since the 2021 draft process. Now is their time to shine. He just got benched in the middle of the season as a (5-2) starter. You don't see that often. We just have to sit back and let them enjoy his failure, I guess? I don't know. It's odd.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

Name a GM that never got It wrong. I use the "experts" as the measuring stick, I still formulate my own opinion, as we all should... IMO

Just because they have the jobs they do, doesn't mean we the fans are all simpletons because of It.

You're an awesome poster but I think you are allowing too many "experts" speak for you, instead of accepting what It actually looks like from multiple angles.

Even as a fan, I don't get where the defense Is still coming from at this point. The kid has completely shit the bed, In multiple ways... It's confusing.

Snatch Catch and legler82 like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Again, the doubt isn't mine, it was apparently in the mind of the Jets - at least back then. Has Justin changed how he plays all that much from college? IDK I haven't watched him, but it seems he's still pretty much relying on his legs for success. If...IF...that's true then that isn't really what this offense calls for.

Now, could he have done better than Zach against the Pats? I'm pretty sure he would have, but is that a long term solution? If he were on the Jets and they insisted on keeping their "system" it's not likely that a running QB is the best fit. Would they be better off changing their "system" to mesh with a running QB like Fields absolutely! Would they? IDK.

19. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Saleh was very clear that Zach is still QB one. They are actually being kind and protecting him. Something they probably should have done last year already. It’s not their fault with this dumb fifth year option stuff.

20. IIMeanDeanII

He didn't rely on his legs In college for success. It was just a tool In his arsenal.

Ultimately, It doesn't matter though. We didn't draft Fields... I'm not trying to make It about that. I just know, based on your initial statement, nothing about his game makes me feel like he wouldn't have been successful In this scheme.

We weren't In those meetings, we didn't hear the discussions between the Jets staffs. So I don't know why Justin Fields wasn't the 2nd QB taken In this draft.

What I do know.. Is that just because teams pass on a player, doesn't always mean It was the right choice to pass on that player.

If the Jets had that very same mindset with Patrick Mahommes, do you, as a fan, think that was the right decision still?

..or do you take the talent first, figure the scheme shit out later?

I know how pissed you were that we passed on him specifically. Tell me It matters to you If that was in-fact the reason they passed on PM, for scheme fit, or lack thereof. I have a feeling, you know damn well we should've drafted that kid regardless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.