Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Anyone else find it funny that Saleh called it a reset, and then listed guys like Gannon, Warner and Geno? Learning the basics all over again, this might be a long reset! I'm totally fine with that.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This offense, as currently constructed, is tailor made for White's game. Quick reads, midrange passes. It's up to him to execute.
    It appears there's more going on behind the scenes with Zach than the public is privy to.

mrjet80, JETFUEL1580 and Mehl-56 like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Agree with this decision to bench him, BIG TIME.

His footwork has been absolute mess for most of his career.

IIMeanDeanII and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Agreed - this may be the last time you see him on the field for a few weeks as well. If White plays well, its going to be his spot to lose for the rest of the season. My 2 Cents...

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Saleh is serious about Zach returning to the field in 2022, I would think it would be December 18th against the Lions. It would give him a month to get re-set and allow him to finish off the year with Detroit, Jacksonville, Seattle and Miami. Reasonable match-ups to see if he has gotten better.

In the mean time, the Bears is a must-win for Mike White, and then @ Minnesota and @ Buffalo will be very difficult no matter what.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Great point!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Zach had played for Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St., or any of the big schools you damn sure would've heard about him. The scouts and personnel guys did. They didn't rate him that high based on one highlight throw from his pro day. I know you won't take the time, but if you really want to know, go back and look at the reports, the videos, the game film on him stretching back to his high school days - how he was dying to be recruited by Utah where his dad played and never got an invite; how he was ready to settle for playing in Idaho (can't remember if if it was Boise St. or Idaho...), and then BYU called; how he won the starting job his freshman year part way into the season; how he lost the starting job and then won it back; how he saved up money from doing food deliveries to afford being able to travel to California to work with his QB coach; how he watched hours of film of his favorite QBs, including Rodgers, Steve Young, and others, including calling them and asking them for advice; how he was able to explain to Douglas, Saleh, MLF at the Combine how the SF offense runs, his grasp of pro concepts. And in watching his game film how he displayed the qualities and mechanics the Jets believed would fit well in their system. All of these things were documented.

All this said, you're always drafting "hope", supported by as much fact as you can get, but until a player plays actual games in the pros you don't know for sure. Still, of all the things I listed - plus others I'm sure the Jets took into account - they're still true. What's in question is: can he reconnect with his mechanics and his belief in his own ability, and can the Jets help him do this, not only in coaching him, but in getting the team to perform around him to maximize his abilities? I think the answer is yes, but it's not going to happen overnight.

SOJAZ and JetsKickAss like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Disaster for the rest of the league!..... amirite? :p

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Catchy line, if only it were true.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

No, it says exactly what Saleh said at his presser: They want to give Zach time to just focus on getting his mechanics/footwork straightened out and he can't do that properly while also preparing to play, even as a potential backup.

The Dark Knight and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hope so! :D

Acad23 likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

working on basic fundamentals is alot deeper than just playing shitty vs the Patriots....

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach was a really stupid pick from the get go. The biggest reach we've ever done in the draft, and with our history that's saying something.

There was nothing to suggest he was worth the most coveted pick we've ever had. It should have been debatable that he was even a 1st round talent.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I personally think they ride with Mike White for as long as he plays at a competent level but the path you've laid out also makes a ton of sense.

As bad as the Bears D is right now, making this decision this week could give Zach almost a full month to try and reset himself and then potentially come back against 4 bottom 10 passing D's to end the year.

15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Kyle Shanahan LOVED Zach Wilson...wanted that #2 pick before taking Trey Lance #3.

Maybe he wants Zach. Might get a #3 or even #2 for him.

SOJAZ, The Dark Knight and ouchy like this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Unless White becomes Superman I see Zach returning for the next home game against Detroit. Those last 4 games could be Zach’s audition for next years status as well.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yep. The point and problem Is that we didn't NEED amazing or dominate, we just needed enough to win. Zach Wilson got that, we didn't get the same from him.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

No, that would be Lam Jones #2 overall who we gave up 4 picks for I believe.

Walt Michaels and Mike Hickey wanted to take Anthony Munoz but he didn't get James Nicholas' approval. Lam Jones was the fallback.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I really don't "like" this post :(

JetsKickAss and K'OB like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

To answer your last question, yes to some degree. If he just has to take the snap and count his drop steps - 3, 5, whatever - it's simpler than starting back already and then getting set up. IDK why that is, but again in watching Warner's analysis it's pretty clear that he has better footwork and a better platform when works from under center.

His "footwork issues" in college were not glaring or in any way a red flag from anything I saw or read. As to "no rhyme or reason", that's the thing: there IS reason for it even if it's not obvious to us beyond his footwork or just getting sloppy and relying on his arm only to make throws. It's a bad habit thing more than anything else IMO.

Of course he and Allen are two different players. I'm not comparing their attributes or style of play, I'm pointing to how Allen dedicated himself to overcoming what was widely recognized as accuracy issues, and that if Allen could do that anyone who put in that level of effort could also fix even big issues.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.