Wanna save Zach? Get this man in the bldg. stat!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I disagree with NOT HUNGRY..Hes hungry for it, jes just entitled and self centered narcissist, that wants to do it HIS way, and bask in his own so called greatness.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay, enough already with this bullshit working class hero pyschobabble nonsense. His play on the field has been dogshit from day one. That’s all you need to criticize. Nobody would give a fuck about his background if he was playing adequately.

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I have seen that getting quoted so many times and it isn't really fair - the question was "as an offense do you feel that [the offense] let the defense down?" - he cannot say "yes" because that's then throwing the o-line, receivers and RBs under the bus - what he should've said is "no, but I feel like I didn't play well enough" - but that's easy to say when you have time to think about your response and are not coming straight off a disasterous game.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I mean there’s a pretty wide spectrum as to NFL players financial situations in their youth. Some are extremely poor and some are rather rich. I don’t always think it’s fair to judge this sort of stuff although it was definitely a red flag in his pre-draft case study.

Arthur Smith grew up extremely rich and even though he’s a coach, he doesn’t give me any sort of entitlement vibes. Mahomes, the Manning’s, the Long’s, etc., all grew up with money.

Dierking and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Josh Allen said he played like shit after they got beat down by the JETS.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

The Manning Brothers grew up far from poor and it didn’t hurt their desire to compete and win. I would like to see the Jets give Zack all the tutoring and tools needed to get the most out of his talent. They didn’t help Gino Smith because they didn’t believe in him. I think Zack can be saved from the Jets heap of failed QB’s. I would sit him for the next game for sure. He needs to be humbled.

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

For all the awfulness that Mark Sanchez bestowed on our beloved Jets, he always stood on the podium and said the loss was on him. He said he’s the leader of the team and every loss started with him. Every natural leader feels that way. Even when a QB throws for 400 yds and 4 TD’s if the result is a loss you will STILL hear good leaders say “I” have to be better. Zach is not a leader. He’s not a good QB either, but he’s not a good leader and that will be the end of him well before people finally give up on his football skills.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As I said he should have rephrased the question to make it about himself but peolpe are blowing the "no" reply out of all proportion by choosing to make it look as though he wa saying he (personally) didn't let the team down when that is not what he said.

And trust me I am as far from a ZW fan as it is possible to be

10. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Coming off a bye week, Zach played like he never saw the Pats defense before. He is obviously pressing because it has been drilled into him that screwing the pooch is not an option. As for Zach's two left feet, there is only one solution: ask Rex Ryan to return and play footsie with Zach?

Milli Vanilli blamed it on the rain and Zach Wilson is blaming it on the wind, although the weather conditions were not really that bad in Foxboro on Sunday. Seemed like a mild breeze compared to some windy inclement weather games of the past at Shea and Giants Stadium. If he had significant problems throwing in that weather, watch out!

Does anyone really expect Zach to play well in snow, sleet and strong gusting winds when he can't even navigate a mild breeze, where his pedestrian counterpart completed 85% of his passes against a top rated defense? Let's hope for some unseasonably mild weather in December to limit the ugliness and excuses on the offensive side of the ball. With Zach rated as the second worst starting QB during the first half of the season, one dreads to imagine how low his numbers will sink if old man winter decides to rear his ugly head.

With the coaching staff going all in to preserve their QB's fragile ego at the expense of a playoff run (priorities you know), Zach may not be running out of time, but he is running out of excuses.

ouchy likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm not saying it's a better thing, but we all know he was using the "wind" as an excuse....

12. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

He already had a quarterback whisperer. Let’s try sitting his butt down while he’s perfectly healthy. Let’s see what that does for a few games.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I said this 3 weeks ago after the first Pats game. Do it! Better yet, hire him as the OC, but at least hire him to work with Zach.

His analysis of this last Pats game is accurate and fair. While he points out areas that Zach was at fault - mainly the footwork and not reading the defenders to determine where he should be starting his processing from - he also highlights the questionable play design, as well as touching on some weak route running. These were also my impressions that I posted right after the game but it was blindingly clear that most everyone was more interested in just having a shit fest without even trying to understand what happened or why. Warner does a great job in explaining all that in this video.

I do disagree on a few of his takes. It seemed to me that there were a few plays where there were receivers open that Zach just didn't see, or he saw but chose to not throw to them. I'd love to sit in the film room with Zach to hear his explanations, but of course none of us will have that opportunity. Still, Kurt also pointed out a number of good things that Zach did, including some things where the play didn't work out but not because of Zach's failure.

This reaffirms my belief that Zach is "fixable", although not overnight. Still he's worth the effort to fix as opposed to simply tossing him aside like the Jets have done so many times. And because I'm sure Zach has been told numerous times about his footwork, it seems he needs to be made to understand how critical it is that he focus on this, so I think benching him for at least this week to get his attention would be a good move. Also, benching him to remind him that as the QB and Captain, he needs to step up and own responsibility when they struggle and/or lose, even if he doesn't think he was the reason for it.

Or the Jets could simply listen to all the "experts" here who have such inciteful comments like: "He sucks!", "He sucks balls!", "He's a spoiled rich kid who has never faced adversity!", "He sucks ass!", "He's mentally deficient!", "He can't process at NFL speeds!". And then come next May draft another "Answer" and spend 2+ years failing to develop him, and rinse and repeat. Or sign a mediocre QB who might be able to get them into the playoffs but who won't be able to win a SB. I still have faith in Douglas and Saleh that they know more than all these "experts".

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Chris Simms still believes...

Borat likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

But Allen wasn't responding to the question: "Do you feel the offense (not him specifically) let the defense down?".

It's clear that a lot of people are grasping at anything to justify their desire to see Zach benched and ultimately replaced. And hey, you know what? I'd be all for that if the Jets were guaranteed to have that replacement be the "Answer", whether they traded for him, signed as a FA, or drafted him, but somehow the Jets have failed at doing that for over 50 years. What makes anyone think they'll suddenly get it right now?

Or, they could continue working with a 23 year old kid with great physical attributes, work ethics, and competitive drive for more than just a year and half.

EDIT: To include Zach's presser:

The question that everyone is frothing at the mouth about was: "Since the defense held the Patriots offense to only 3 points, and the offense was only able to score 3 points, do you feel you let the defense down?" Zach: "No".

Everything prior to that question Zach accepted responsibility and admitted there were things he had to do better. That question did not specifically ask him is HE let the defense down, it was implied that the questioner was asking whether the offense let the defense down. If Zach says "Yes" then he's indicting the whole offense, which frankly should shoulder the blame, not just Zach, but he didn't do that. It was a classic "Gotcha!" question that the media loves to trap players in. I had originally only heard that last part of the interview and based on that agreed that Zach needed some humbling, but I've changed my stance having watched the whole thing.

#35 ColoradoContrails, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Honestly, I'm done with the Jets drafting QB's out of college. Its just not something we do well with and the track record proves it. Not sure why that is, but I think just bringing in a Vet QB who's familiar with the system we run is the answer.

ColoradoContrails and Yankee6 like this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Shocking-guy who laid his reputation as an evaluator on the line tries to convince people the player he thought was gold isn’t the turd we see.

18. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

Even with a journeyman like Fitzpatrick we could do some damage in the playoffs with this D.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

I agree. If they decide that Zach isn't the guy, then they need to bite the bullet and go get a top veteran QB, not some mediocre guy who might be able to do better than Zach - who is still 5-2 BTW.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The coaching staff has probably worked on this stuff with Zach many times. Hiring Kurt Warner wouldn't make any difference.