Realistic QB Targets for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Personally I think Jimmy G is the best fit…he knows the offense, he took a team to the Super Bowl, he’s just the best realistic option right now as an above average ready to go p,Ayer. His injury history is a bit of a concern but I think he’s just the best overall fit that we can see right now.

things can and do change but so far im not seeing a better fit.

minshew would be my second choice

But realistically, just about anyone would be an upgrade in the short term…we have literally the worst rated QB in the league for two years running now

he’s clearly holding this team back

Nyjets4eva and Vida like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In a league with QB mania, Jimmy G is going to get paid a fortune next year. At that point I'd rather try for Carr. Paying an aging vet big bucks is the worst possible solution with only 4 million in cap space left, and several players on defense requiring bigger paydays next season. We'll have to do some serious overhalls just to pay Q, not to mention Qwon, Whitehead,Quincy, etc.

The real beauty of our defense is we got several guys on one and two year contracts that have over performed. Its rare and fleeting.

#162 ouchy, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Carr has talent but seems to me a bit of an emotional wreck at times. I don’t think he would fare well with the NY media here. And I’m not making fun of him it’s just that some guys aren’t built for this kind of media glare or intensity that surrounds the Jets. I think that played a part in Darnold’s demise and may be the beginning of the end for Zach. Jimmy G strikes me as a guy who just shrugs everything off and goes out and plays. Slighty above average - he’ll give you a clunker here and there - but can guide a team to a championship given the right circumstances.

I really think he would do well here with this team.

Nyjets4eva and Vida like this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Nailed my thoughts too. Getting stuck with an aging vet who you are paying big money $$ which means you can’t sign other $$ players and also you can’t easily pull them for poor play… is a nightmare scenario.

Minshew is just 27 and won’t be expensive. You don’t even need to bring him in as the guaranteed starter vs just as competition.

As much as fans are done, the Jets can’t totally give up on the 2nd overall pick in Zach (23) after just 2 seasons.

Noam and ouchy like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If the rest of the team continues playing at this level, Douglas and Saleh deserve a shot at another QB. But the one thing they can't do is be stubborn enough to ruin another season with Zach. Keep him in case he somehow miraculously improves if you like, but bring in someone else to be the starter.

Vida, Jets79 and Jets81 like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Where Zach was drafted is irrelevant. If you think he's talented enough to fix his problems, then sure keep him around, but he shouldn't get more benefit of the doubt than he would have if he were drafted in, say, the second round.

Vida and stinkyB like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The most likely restructure candidates for next year are CJ Mosley (~21M cap hit for next year) and Laken Tomlinson (~17M cap hit next year).

Could potentially add about 19-20M in cap space next offseason by converting their salary into a prorated signing bonus. The unfortunate thing is that neither of these contracts are set up in a favorable way to cut them this offseason as even if you cut CJ you're staring at a Dead Cap hit of 14.9M and with Laken you're looking at a 8.5M Dead Cap hit. Might as well restructure, keep them on the team, and hope you get something out of them at a similar cap hit in 2023.

There might be some more cap gymnastics that I'm not familiar with but those 2 guys are our best bet to go into the offseason with some wiggle room in terms of cap space and bringing in a vet QB.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

At every friggin chance, this board goes QB crazy. Every friggin chance lets hamstring our roster with an impulsive QB reach. Feels like the 2021 draft all over again.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm old enough to remember when Brett Farve came to the Jets back in the day. Up until he got hurt, the Jets were rollin like never before. Wr's were shocked at the velocity of the throws but happy at the same time. The Jet offense had for a time, became almost a juggernaut. The NY Media didn't seem to affect Farve considering the cache he arrived with. Fast forward to today and watching the Rodgers situation and I do see some similarities. Rodgers coming to the Jets would automatically make them legitimate contenders as the Wr's would realize they're not playing with a relative unknown or a erratic snot nosed kid but instead, a future HOF QB. JimmyG also provides a quantum leap in potential for this Jets roster that Zach hasn't and most likely won't in the near term. As well as this team is presently put together, it would be criminal not to put the best possible player in the most important position on the field. At this time, that person is NOT on the roster.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick holds Jets records and, at least from a statistical standpoint (and a fun to watch standpoint) he's the best QB we've had in 2 decades. You'd have to go back to 2002 to find the last time it felt like we actually had a guy who could be a franchise quarterback.

I omitted Favre. He was a rental, threw 22 interceptions, and killed us that year for playing through an injury (then turned around and proved is was the Jets and not him the following season).

This team is cursed at the QB position. People won't stop going crazy until we have a guy who we might be able to count on for a little while.

#170 Jets81, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    ouchy likes this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is we should be looking for a solid QB that doesn’t break the bank. Minshew, Brissett, maybe even Daniel Jones if he shakes free. Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round if there’s one that’s got some long term potential that would benefit from sitting. Declare the position wide open, best man in TC takes the job. Right now all of those QB’s run circles around Zach in terms of ability and talent, but they’re not a very high ceiling for him to overcome. Assuming Zach spends his entire offseason learning the game of football at the NFL level and working on his mechanics as opposed to MILF’s, maaaaaaybe he’ll be able to compete with one of those guys. Otherwise he sits on the bench until he eventually loses his roster spot for the next guy.

12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And that's exactly what worries me about him. If he can't win there in the same system , what makes anyone think he can win in NY with team that is good, but probably not as good.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

will he though? there are two ro three really highly regarded QBs due to enter the draft next year so that'll take care of the super desperate teams at the top of the draf t- most other teams either have a guy or have someone with potential - I am not sure the market for him is going to be crazy - I mean anyone could have traded for him this offseason before Lance got injured and they had no takers.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

All the following teams could be in the market for a QB upgrade. It only takes two to create a bidding war and only one to pay the man. Jimmy G is having a fantastic season and if he stays healthy and finishes off a great year he is going to get paid, big time.

Jets
    Patriots
    Colts
    Titans
    Raiders
    Giants
    WFT
    Lions
    Falcons
    Panthers
    Bucs
    49ers

Wut? and Br4d like this.
  15. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

What if Zack Wilson wanted to be traded right now?

16. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

He makes a lot of sense. Im pretty sure with him on this team, we are Contenders.

Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger like the Rams did last year when they went and got Stafford.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he does win tho. his record as a starting qb is incredible

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What?

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Brady comes in for one year, and sticks a fork on BB butt. Zach sits and watches from the best.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Anything is possible - Patriots is interesting - I would be surprised if they gave up on Mac Jones as quickly as we have given up on Zach but BB apparently liked Jimmy G but was forced to trade him away by the owner at the behest of Tom.

Bucs are also interesting - they may see Jimmy G as a poor mans Brady that can step in to his shoes once he finally goes

Panthers and Texans are going all in to get the first two draft picks to get Young and Stroud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.