Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As bad as he has been, I am surprised there are still some that say let Zach start next week and if he sucks again replace him at halftime (??). WHAT? Isn't a year and a half of watching the NFL's worst QB enough time? Just because Douglas foolishly made him the #2 overall, and Saleh made him a captain should not mean he automatically gets to play. Not fair to the other 52 busting their butt for this loser to keep playing. In addition to his atrocious play, his lack of accountability, anger, or even mild disappointment at his press session yesterday shows he is NOT a leader! He acted like it was just a bad practice or something

Ralebird and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No one pretended like it didn’t happen. I’ve followed thr majority of your arguments with those people. You’re misconstruing their words and takes — It didn’t matter because the jets won the game. Zach could have thrown 500 interceptions but as long as the W column went up who cares.

3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Rick Mirer had a decent rookie year if memory serves correct.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I said weeks ago that we didn't have to discuss the QB until he starts costing us games. Well he did twice in the span of three games and the second loss was significantly worse. Tack on the fact that he handled it like a total idiot off the field and in my mind there's no choice but to bench him. Good on Saleh for making it well-known to mostly the locker room that no one is above the team. I don't think he's going to be benched, I think he's going to start against Chicago and have a short leash. But Chicago is awful so I think he's going to have a good shot at buying himself time. For better or worse.

One thing I'm positive of is we have the right coach.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

At least captain checkdown can hit the checkdown.

The truth about Zach is he is probably not salvageable. It goes beyond the poor reads, happy feet, and missed throws.

The guy only has one throw, a line drive laser. If you cant throw passes with touch you're not a starting QB in the NFL. There are too many situations a ball has to drop down over a defender and into a spot. People look at tape and say he had so and so open downfield. But they aren't open for Zach because he cant make those kind of throws if their is a DB in between. Touch isn't a skill you can just pick up. It requires tons of practice and then chemistry with receivers.

We can develop Zach until the cows come home but he has way to many flags to ever be more than a backup in this league. Taking him with that golden pick was a joke.

6. BroadwayAaron

As for the QB situation itself... not great. Mike White is bad, Flacco should have retired years ago. Streveler is the only guy I have any interest in seeing because he very much has a skillset that translates to the modern NFL offenses. Very highly doubt he'll see the field though.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This is a logical take and I agree completely.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  8. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Not saying Mike White is great but I wouldnt call him "bad" based on a few games of play. Im curious to see how Mike White is with some good receivers this year. It cant get any worse than Zach at least....

10. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I think give Zach the start with a hook and pivot if you have to. Don’t limit him and actually see if he can move the ball more than 3 yards. If he can’t show something against this bears defense then dude is lost!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

These stats show how much Zach Wilson sucks. Also what other quarterback do you ever recall had 2 of his wide receivers ask to be traded, 1 when the team is dynamic and winning, and his top wide receiver not directly saying that the Qb flat out sucks. Time to cut bait on Zack Wilson and hope Joe Douglas tricks someone to send a high 2nd round pick for him.

Expected Points Added (EPA) -8.5 #57
    Accuracy Rating 7.0 #34
    True Completion Percentage 61.9% #37
    Deep Ball Completion Percentage 20.0% #38
    Pressured Completion Percentage 14.6% #38
    Play-action Completion Percentage 52.6% #35
    True Passer Rating 70.4 #29
    Deep Ball Accuracy Rating 5.0 #35
    Under Pressure Accuracy Rating 3.7 #38
    Deep Ball Catchable Pass Rate 46.7% #33
    Pressured Catchable Pass Rate 33.3% #37
    Catchable Pass Rate 71.3% #29
    Interceptable Passes 9 #29
    Completion Percentage vs Zone 53.3% #37
    Passer Rating vs Man 58.8 #37

#231 george sakell, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    REVISion and tomdeb like this.
  12. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Bench that punk

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

couldnt have said it any better

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Honestly, I don't think there's any upside at all in continuing the Zach Wilson Project. I say this from the standpoint of how the modern NFL works. A team doesn't get 5 years to bounce back and forth with a guy like the Steelers had with Terry Bradshaw. The cap doesn't allow it and the parity scheduling doesn't allow it.

Almost any team should feel as though they have a chance to compete in any given year. There are maybe a half dozen sad sacks with no chance to compete. This means there are no sacrifice seasons once you've gotten the talent up to par with the league. There's no time to waste on a failing project at a key position. You really need to move on and find a fix.

This Jets team looks a bit special, definitely so on defense. However next year's Jet team may well have a key injury on the defense that keeps things from gelling like they have. The Jets need to fully take advantage of the position they are in now because next year they may be 4-6 after 10 with very little chance at a playoff spot. We need to win *this* year.

REVISion, Acad23, Nyjets4eva and 2 others like this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Right like what do we think is magically going to change in a week that hasn't happened in a year and half. We want to save our season or not?

It's one thing is he's showing SOME progress and the guys are behind him. But neither is happening right now.

Unfortunately for Zach the team is way better than anticipated and we don't have time to wait for him to learn basic quarterbacking. He can learn on the bench.

Bring in a vet, and let him earn the job back in training camp.

16. BroadwayAaron

I mean sure, gotta see what we have I guess but early returns on him are that he stinks. Streveler outplayed him in the preseason and I don't even mean by the numbers. There was a very clear difference between the two. Unless I'm misremembering there was chatter amongst the beat guys that Streveler would start seeing 3rd team reps over White in camp.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  17. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything since Zach has been here to make me think yes we found the guy. However if you bench him now is that it? Is he done here? I don’t wanna go into year 3 one foot in and one foot out. Is it bye Zach draft a QB try Carr,minshew, Garoppolo?

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

And there you have it, boys and girls. Your 2022 NY Jets.

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I said start him but bench him if he shits the bed again mostly because I didn’t think Saleh would actually bench him … either due to his own reasoning or due to orders from above.

personally I’ve been down on him for his lack of accuracy and inability to process quickly and inability to see the field…pretty much all key traits to be a successful QB in this league.

I think you know what a guy is by around this time….and I think the sample size is large enough to mean that the stats show a pretty good picture of the guy. I hate the BS cherry picking some want to do by pulling out drops or throwaways or stupid shit like that.

he is what he is…if not the worst QB in the league then one of the worst two or three…

sad but true.

I don’t know if he can turn it around…I don’t think the chances are good, but maybe not impossible….who knows?

I think the lack of accountability is very troubling on top of it all

I’d bench him if it were my call….

tomdeb likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The smart way to approach it would be to bring in a mid-career vet and draft a mid-rounds QB - maybe 3rd or 4th round and then have a real competition between ZW, White and those two in camp.

Not a *wink* *wink* competition. A real competition.

That's how the Seahawks found Russell Wilson. It's how the Jets found Vinny. It's the most foolproof way to avoid going all-in on another high draft and then failing again.

If the Jets had Jameis Winston, Austin Reed (just spit-balling a mid-round QB in 2023), Zach Wilson and Mike White in camp next season and the best performing guy took the job the odds are very good they'd have a competent QB next season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.