Another Generational Talent

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 20, 2022.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

who said anything about bringing in an aging vet? I am talking about trading for a quality young QB for that kind of price - a Watson type deal

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

What quality, young QB is available?

The only one that comes to mind is Lamar Jackson and he's not available. There's no chance that Baltimore lets him go.

FJF likes this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Bless him, he is a tank

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The more I look at our future, the more it seems likely Quinnen will be traded. He wasn't drafted by JD,and we are going to need considerable money next year. He is really our only trade piece left.

The choice will be pay him 30+ million a year or trade him for a bunch of picks.

Honestly, from what we've seen of JD, which do you think he'll choose?

Red Menace likes this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He'll keep Quinnem and sign him to a big contract.

ouchy likes this.
  6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

We don't really need to do anything drastic
    Just a wilingness to move on, at least in the immediuate future, from Zach
    There are a number of good options that have been suggested here
    I mean, come on, we would have won comfortably if we had a QB who even put up the numbers of Mac Jones yesterday
    I would never trade Quinnen

Jets79 likes this.
  7. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Quinnen is untouchable at this point, I don't know any player on the Jets who actually cares about winning more and gives it his all every week, he is like the anti Zack Wilson. He is probally the biggest reason why we are 6-4 this year espicially after his tirade on the sideline, that was the turning point of the season.

Kryoptix, Jets79 and stinkyB like this.
  8. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Well, he cannot be signed until the end of the 2023-2024 season after the Jets pick up his fifth year option at the end of this season. Of course they will pick up the option, but then what? The thing that gives me pause is Sheldon Richardson.

I think that pretty much everybody was saying the same about Sheldon at this time in his career (although there was the weed suspension in his third year). Q has 38 tackles and 8 sacks in 10 games; Sheldon had 35 tackles and 5 sacks in 11 games in his third year. Then it went downhill. Was it because of his trade, or was he going downhill and the trade was smart? I for one definitely thought Sheldon was going to be the guy; now I guess I am more burned. But I won't be unhappy if they re-up him for big money.

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The Jets are going to have to make some serious decisions going forward, what they want to invest in Williams long term, and obviously Sauce Gardner, they will come at a very steep price.

With all this talent on the roster, the window for keeping them on the field together is small, before they're forced to shell out big contracts, which could cripple them going forward

Jets79 and Jets81 like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Understood and a very fair concern. Quinnen already has 5.5 more sacks than Sheldon did in his four years with the Jets and he had a much better supporting cast for most of his tenure beyond this year for Q.

They also played somewhat different positions. Q was a nose tackle his rookie year out of necessity and then moved to 3T. Sheldon played the 5-5i in the 3-4.

While he wouldn’t have been worth the money, Richardson still went on to have a pretty decent NFL career.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

again - who knows who is going to be available? who thought Watson would become available? you never know what's going to happen and the Jets need to be ready to make a deal if the opportunity arises and not:
    (i) saddle themselves with an aging QB on a massive salary (i.e. someone like Rodgers) like the Broncos have with Russell Wilson; or
    (ii) overvalue draft picks or any other players - a franchise QB is by a huge margin the most important piece of the puzzle and worth multiple first rounders - from Sanchez to now the Jets have spent 3 top 5 first round picks and 6 second round picks (2 QBs drafted and 4 spent trading up) on the QB position and have nothing to show for it - that is 9 premium picks that should have resulted in at least 4 or 5 quality starters.

12. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Awesome take. I've always loved Minshew. He reminds me of Taysom Hill but a little better thrower, and is light years ahead of preppy boy. "Tanny, make it happen".

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

A better version of Streveler, who has actually done it in the NFL and could provide similar results to Carr and Garropolo at less cost. The only thing he hasn't done is play on a good team who could contend. The Jets can provide that.

AndyDrums likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets really need to extend him ASAP. Particularly if they're going to keep running ZW out at QB.

It's hard to sign a great young player on a losing team and as long as ZW is the QB the Jets are going to have the whiff of failure hanging over the franchise.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The crazy thing is it’s looking like we have two generational talents on this D.

Now we just need a competent QB.

FJF likes this.
  16. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Absolutely

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You know this will be Revis 2.o
    then I'll point out the history of Woody being cheap with generational talent in their prime and drafted by the jets... Then I'll get intro arguments with slaveminded idiots defending his money like it's theirs... rinse repeat.