Realistic QB Targets for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Thats crack pipe talk

2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Here we go again, another journeyman overpriced veteran QB who hasn't won anything landing in East Rutherford. I'll take any starting QB who has over 1000 passes this season, because with the exception of the rookie in Pittsburgh, they all have a better QB rating than Zach. In fact, Zach is not even close to any of them. Someone like Jacoby Brissett (6 fumbles) could have easily guided this Jets team to a playoff berth. Instead, we are blessed in watching Zach Wilson doing his very best to flush the Jets most promising season in years down the crapper.

Difficult to say what is more alarming, Zach's ugly play or the coaching staff's inexplicable reluctance to admit ZW is in over his head and needs to be pulled. #2 draft pick or not, the Zach pick is going to look a lot worse if the coaching staff plays ignorant and continues to allow Zach to blow up the rebuild. But then again, these are the Jets we're talking about, where sound thinking, like the Jets franchise, has never had a home to call its own.

Jets79 likes this.
  3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Vinny at 59 off his couch in Long Island would have outplayed Zach yesterday.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

WITH a torn Achilles.

Jojo, NY Jets68 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

Does Lamar Jackson really "Fit" with the Jets offensive talent? Do we really needs a running QB when we have Hall and Carter in the backfield?

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont know if Derek Carr actually hits FA, but if he does, he needs to be brought in.

Jets can draft a developmental QB in the mid rounds or something, but this team needs a veteran QB

JetFanInPA likes this.
  7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Oof, that whole situation still pains me! That said, I'd even take Ray Lucas 10x over Wilson.

Put me down for Minshew and draft someone in the mid rounds with some upside.

8. HackettSuxTNG

Oh God, has things really gotten this bad? Derek Carr?

Vida and K'OB like this.
  9. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Carr i s better than Wilson, Mark Sanchez or anyone we have had in a long time. Makes perfect sense. We have a top defense and talent across the field. Someone like Carr would be perfect.

Jojo likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

These are some UFA QBs next year who might get away that would be able to lead the Jets to the playoffs this year:
    Jimmy Garoppolo
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Jacoby Brissett
    ^Any of these three and the Jets are 8-2 and competing for a Super Bowl

Daniel Jones
    Taylor Heinicke
    Gardner Minshew
    Cooper Rush
    ^No joke, even with Daniel Jones this team is better. Any of these guys would be upgrades.

Unless ZW has some epiphany of play and attitude in the next few weeks (not gonna happen, but it's technically not impossible), they need to acquire a legitimate NFL QB this offseason and ZW needs to earn his job against the likes of him and another QB they draft.

Vida and Jets79 like this.
  11. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Derek Carr has a team option opt out after this season also. Could be available also as a free agent or if the Raiders pick up the option, as a trade.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ive seen plenty of Minshew when he was with the JAGS... he'll never be great. IMO, he's a younger Fitzpatrick. Sadly that's still an improvement to what we have going on now, and I'm sure he'd be better received in the lockerroom.

13. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Maybe they could get Joe to fill in between Medicare commercials.

kevda5n9ne and stinkyB like this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

As good as Garret Wilson is, he is NOT Davante Adams, and Carr has not won many games with a target like him to throw to.

15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Carr has a 62% with 15TDs/5INTs.

He's not an MVP or anything, but he'd be the best QB in the last 10 years. At worst, he'd be number 2 behind Fitzpatrick.

Plus, he'd be a free agent. Unfortunately, great QBs dont often hit the open market.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Everyone's already listed the best options IMO.

Option A has to be do anything and everything to acquire Lamar if he actually becomes available this offseason. That's a pipe dream IMO though so it's probably a moot point.

Option B would be another established vet. Long list of names that could be had here for varying prices. Derek Carr, Jimmy G., Geno Smith (wow), Gardner Minshew, & Marcus Mariota are just a few that come to mind. Any of these guys would probably have this team at 8-9 wins right now instead of 6.

Option C would be to draft another QB at some point in the 2023 Draft. Unless we mortgage the future, which I would highly advise against, to go up and get Stroud/Young, we aren't looking at getting one of the top tier QB prospects. More likely, they take a QB on Day 2/3 that could come in a compete with Wilson/White for the starter/back-up role. I could potentially see Levis sliding down the board based off of how he's performed this year but I really think someone will bet on his traits and take him early in Round 1. He would be an intriguing prospect if he's still there with our 1st round pick though. Anthony Richardson, Cam Ward, DJ Uiagalelei are some names to watch for on Day 2/3

Really sucks that we're having this conversation again, but here we are. I would personally go with a mix of Option B & C. I'd try to get one of the names listed in Option B but still draft a guy on Day 2/3. Let the draft pick be the backup for a couple of years behind whoever we sign and see where we're at in a year or two.

All Gas No Shake and Brook! like this.
  17. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

The only option is to bring in a competent veteran NFL QB to get the most out of this young talented team for the next 2-3 years, AND draft another QB, probably in the 2nd-3rd round range.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The realistic options are going to be

Carr
    Jimmy G(does SF let him go?)
    Geno(does Seattle let him go?)
    Mariotta- ehhh
    Brisset- ehhhh
    Mayfield/Darnold- double ehhh

So yea, I don’t know about you guys but I’m gonna be rooting like crazy for Zach to figure out how to trust his talents and just start playing QB instinctively.

Lamar is not an option and Rodgers will likely not be an option. Every other option is blah.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

yep and not just franchised, theyre going to hit him with the exclusive franchise tag

DetroitRed likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Glad it isn't just me that doesn't like him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.