Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

A- I’m sure Mike White ain’t the answer, that said I understand the argument to play him.

B- I think Zach is Uber talented, but I’m really starting to worry about him. When if comes to the ZW vs MLF debate, I’m quite certain it’s him. We’ve seen this scheme succeed elsewhere, and also right here with other less talented QB’s.

C- On one hand I agree with what GW said, but the fact that a rookie is calling out his QB and coaches is bad. Add that with JFM liking tweets about ZW needing to take accountability, this might get ugly.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When this game is objectively analyzed there will be a lot of things beyond Zach Wilson that hurt them. That said, Zach didn't play like the #2 pick or a FQB, nor did he elevate the team into a win. It's not clear to me what his issue(s) is, but he's not playing like he is capable of playing. Beyond that, there were lots of mistakes made around him, including the play calling, but if he was the QB he's supposed to be he would've found a way to overcome all that and produce a win.

All that said, I don't think White or Flacco are even a temporary or stopgap solution, but sitting Zach for a game or two might be the best thing. They don't have a lot of other options.

I still think Zach has the potential to be a top QB but that belief is fading. To say I'm bitterly disappointed in this loss would be an understatement.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well... to be fair he manages to hit them on rare occasions.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's really frustrating... and I don't get what Saleh's endgame is.

This was the game to pull Zach and take some of the onus off him... bad day... it happens.
    Squeak out a win... which was there for the taking... and everybody is happy yet concerned about Zach.

Now Zach has to totally shoulder the loss and face the nasty NY media slobs... and the mental grind of self-doubt.
    If Zach IS salvageable... today's game put that much further from reach.

He's not helping Zach by letting him play through that.

Cidusii, tomdeb, Wut? and 2 others like this.
  5. Jetsin2029

Jetsin2029 Member

Free Mike White. ZW is a poor man’s Sam Darnold. If the Jets want to make the playoffs it’s time for a QB change.

tomdeb and 50ShadesOfGreen like this.
  6. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Consider this:
    Hall of fame coach BB, who we all hate, wasted little time ti BENCH his 2nd year 1st round maybe future franchise QB Mac Jones after Zappe gave them a spark. When Mac was out there stinking it up upon his return, BB benched him and put Zappe in there.

That's what a HC has to do. Not be afraid of his shadow. Zappe didn't provide the spark and Mac was appropriately returned to QB1 and has been solid for them since. Saleh is coaching afraid. He coached afraid today. Zach should have taken a seat, and a message needs to be sent. Zach should not be QB1 next week but he can be ready to be put back in if a spark is not ignited by MW or Streveler

tomdeb, Since1969, fggrimes and 3 others like this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the Jets starting QB next year is not currently on the roster - that is clear.

8. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Agree. White and Flacco obviously not the long-term answer but, at least give Zach a breather and demonstrate to the team you have their back by giving them a chance to win making a switch at QB.

#2308 BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Acad23 and DetroitRed like this.
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

on the plus side after getting burned by Sanchez and then Darnold I at least learned not to buy any jerseys featuring the Jets QB on them anymore

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

A) I agree. I didn't think it was worth an argument before, but I at least understand the argument now.

B) How can you not worry about him? And it's not just that the scheme has worked elsewhere. It's worked here. White threw for 400+ yards against Cincy. The issue with White was that he would inevitably turn the ball over too often. But the offense looks a lot different when Flacco/White/Johnson run it. It's not much BETTER, but it's definitely DIFFERENT, mostly because they run the offense and make the throws they are supposed to on time.

C) I have no problem with what Garrett said. The offense needs to look in the mirror after this game. I thought Garrett was basically doing that with the offense as a whole. He didn't call out the QB or coaching staff specifically. He called out the entire offense. And I would hope everyone on offense would agree they deserve to be called out as a collective.

11. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Elijah looking like the good guy now lol

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think that's fair, but at the same time, I think the tape will also show that a lot of what went wrong for the Jets on offense stems, at least partially, from the QB's almost total incompetence. This is a team that should be run-first, but it's almost impossible to run the ball when the defense in no way respects even the short-to-intermediate pass game, let alone the deep passing game. Carter, Robinson, and Johnson might as well have been running into a brick wall all day because that Patriots defense, rightly, did not even entertain the idea that the Jets could push the ball down the field, even in a dink-and-dunk manner, through the air.

There are always things that can be corrected from one game to another, even in a win, and as lights out as the defense played today, there's still room for improvement there as well. That's the case in any football game, in any sporting contest, really. But, I think, the thing that was consistently at the heart of everything that went wrong for the Jets today was the QB play. Is Mike LaFleur a perfect play caller? Nope. He's got his issues, but at the same time, we've seen his offense run competently by two journeymen QBs (White and Josh Johnson) and a former Super Bowl MVP who is very much in the sunset of his career (Flacco). If we had any of those guys out there performing in the way that we have seen them perform (i.e. White versus Cincy or early at Indy, or even Josh Johnson versus Indy last year), then this game today is a win for the Jets, possibly by more than one score.

The other 52 members of the team have, I think, excelled in trying to shed this franchise of that "Same Old Jets" mentality. It seems like they've embraced the mission of trying to perform that exorcism on the franchise, and so far, I think they've been successful in moving that ball forward. This team, minus the QB, is ready to win now. Granted, nobody thought that would be the case at the beginning of the season, so it was thought to be a season that would solely be about finding out what we have in Wilson while also bringing the young guys along and getting them some experience. But this team has defied those expectations and shown that they are a win-now team. In all walks of life, plans change. The Jets have to change their current plan. For a franchise that hasn't won anything in over a decade, this season can't any longer be solely about finding out what they have in Wilson. They have to win now, because the other 52 members of the team are ready to win now. This current Jets team is doing everything it can to shed the "Same Old Jets" label, but the anchor around their necks is the play of the QB, and "Same Old Jets" is clinging to that anchor for dear life.

With regards to Flacco (or White for that matter), is he the answer? Of course not. He's too old and he's far past his prime. But he can competently lead the offense. He can drop back, hit the crossing routes and the screen passes well enough to open things up a bit more for the running game. And that's all this team needs to be competitive and make a playoff run. This defense is good enough to give a competent offense a puncher's chance against the elite AFC teams like the Chiefs. Flacco, or White, can give provide at least that for this team. Wilson has, thus far, outside of that one quarter in Pittsburgh, proven that he's entirely incapable of pulling that off.

13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I agree CC. This was a terrible game to lose at all but the way it happened was a catastrophe.

The Jets have a playoff level team (maybe even good enough to win a game or two) this season aside from the QB issue and this loss was really harmful to that 2022 quest.

Then in the bigger picture, on the strategic map if you will this was pretty much the day Zach crossed the line, for all to see, from the zone of the promising, young, hopeful FQB that we can excuse mistakes, look for the hopeful moments and confidently wait for the brighter future into the territory of a likely "never was".

And if he does indeed end up being the bust he looks to be that really is going to be a tough obstacle for this franchise to overcome.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Garret Wilson shaped his response very carefully so as not to throw Zach under the bus.

But we all know the truth... and so does every member of the Jets,

15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Re-read B, I absolutely am worried about him!! I really hope this kid can come out of it and then the corner. But we’re in an interesting predicament with him, we can’t keep playing without a passing game, so we need to throw passes+ he can only develop but throwing more passes.

That said, he ain’t doing anything with the passes he is throwing!

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I said, there were a lot of problems besides Zach in that game. Maybe pulling him and putting White in could've ignited a spark to overcome all that, but just as likely not. If it were that simple I think Saleh would've done it. I think Saleh is letting LaFleur make the calls on offense and LaFleur was a big part of the problem. They started the game off well by allowing Zach to take off and use his legs, but then that went away. Why? BB was stacking the box and shutting down the run, where was the answer to that? Yes Zach continued to have accuracy issues, but he also had some key passes dropped, and very possibly wrong route running. None of this is to excuse that Zach simply didn't play like the #2 pick or FQB he's supposed to be. It seems obvious that the CS drilled into him to not take ANY chances after the previous NE game resulted in his mistakes being a big part of that loss. When you tell a player "Just go out there and don't fuck up", it certainly isn't going to lead to them playing their best.

All I can say at this point is that I find it hard to believe that someone with Wilson's physical ability and his work ethic can't do better than what he's shown. He's sure dug himself a deep hole.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude what the fuuuck. He fucking sucked. Your last paragraph aside, can’t you just say it out loud without trying to blame everything around him?

The dude just went 9/22 for 77 yards. Davis Mills was absolutely terrible today and was miles ahead of Wilson.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Catch up with reality.
    Zach is 100% of the reason that game was lost.

You can sugar coat a turd but you can't make it taste good.

19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Exactly, benching a guy at half does not mean you can’t go back to him the next week or later in the season.
    We are damaging damaged goods even more.

Br4d, Acad23 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yup. The Phins started Tua and benched him and started him and threw Fitz in there in the 4th quarter of games and all was well. It’s needed sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.