Jets mgmt's best decision... major kudos are in order...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Nov 9, 2022.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Some may not have heard of this guy, but to me, Jets management made one of it's most important & noticeable acquisitions, by hiring Dan Shamash during the off-season. Not clear if it was JD, Saleh, or whoever it was that brought him in, but it's paid off enormous dividends already this season. Whoever it was, gets an MVP award for the hire.
    Here's a great article about him from foxsports ------>
    https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...-and-how-did-he-become-the-jets-secret-weapon

Lon Chaney, Ralebird, donkey and 5 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Great Article! It does look like the Jets actually have an overview of the game now as opposed to the past where it was throw shit against the wall and see what sticks.

burf, PabloJa, Lon Chaney and 2 others like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... even the shit that stuck was still shit.

burf, Cman68, PabloJa and 1 other person like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for that article.Most exciting and encouraging.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I heard about this guy earlier in the season. He sounds like he is shining star

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Secret weapon indeed! I'm glad the Jets finally have someone looking at these little details and angles that make a huge difference.

But it pisses me off that New England basically has the league following their "suggestions", and then exploiting them.:mad: Of course I have to give credit to BB for realizing this and using it to build his dynasty, but the NFL didn't have to go along with it and allow favoritism to tilt the field of play.

burf likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is it really a secret weapon if the whole league knows about it as soon as you find any success?

This guy will be with another team in like 15 minutes.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is coaching to where football's going but for real this time. Nice!

Cman68, Noam and abyzmul like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is coaching to where the Patriots were going in 2001.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Every team in the league has a clock management guy. The jets just invested in him as a real time analytic person. Don’t worry, in ten years they will make all the decisions and neuter the coach. That’s where baseball has gone.
    - bitter Yankees fan and cashman hater

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Hearing about this guy really makes my dick curl.

AtlantaJet, Wah, FJF and 3 others like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Up down or sideways?

These are the important details we need to know.

Up = happy

Down = sad

Sideways = go see a doctor :D

Brook! likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Post of the year :)

K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Very cool. However, am I the only one who kept looking for more information/ examples in that article? I finished reading it slightly disappointed. But it is comforting to know our team and its coaches are on the leading edge of things. After all, this franchise was the last one to have a an actual stand alone GM (Dick Steinberg)

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I love reading about who Shamash is and it makes me super excited that the Jets are finally focusing on analytics at the margins to wring out the most possible from games. I already have a really positive outlook for the future of this franchise, and this article added to it.

But there's been something that has had me on edge this year in some games, and it has to do with this:

Yes, the Jets have 4 wins in one-possession games, but in all of those games they took a lead with minimal time left in a situation where the game should have been over, and then actually gave the opponent a chance to win the game.

In the Cleveland game, the Jets took the lead and kicked off with just 0:22 left in the game. Needing only a FG, the Browns ended up taking a snap from their own 46 yard line after a 21 yard run to start the drive, with an extremely viable shot at a GW FG if they completed a pass for just 15-20 yards. Thankfully the defense held and Ashtyn Davis sealed the game with a pick at the Jets 36.

In the Pittsburgh game, the Jets took the lead and kicked off with just 0:16 left in the game. Needing a TD, the Steelers ended up taking a snap from the Jets 48 yard line after giving up a huge 27 yard pass to start the drive, with a viable shot at a Hail Mary considering they actually got into Jets territory. Thankfully the defense held and Lamarcus Joyner sealed the game with a pick in the endzone.

In the Denver game, the Jets, up a TD, got the ball from Denver on downs with 1:55 left in the game. Without a turnover, the Broncos ended up getting the ball back just 25 seconds later, and took 4 snaps in Jets territory before turning it over on downs again and ending the game.

In the Bills game, the Jets took the lead and kicked off with 1:43 left in the game. From their own 14 on a 4th & 31, and needing only a FG to tie, the Bills ended up getting the ball into the numbers of a receiver in man coverage with no safety deep at the Jets 20 yard line.

They won all four games, but all of these situations should not, in my opinion, have gotten to the point where they were a play away from losing or extending a game that should have been over.

I wonder if that's simply the playcalling not matching up with what Shamash's data is showing, the players not executing, or something else.

19. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

You Yankee fans are a piece of work. You do nothing but win and whine about arguably the best GM in baseball. I am a Met fan and jealous as f**k of the Yankees and Cashman. Wish he was my GM.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How can you bitch about that win?

It's not possible to time everything perfectly.