Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The problem for Zach is you don't have to cherry pick numbers to make him look bad. You have to cherry pick numbers to make him look good.

Every basic stat you would ever want to look at, Zach is terrible. And advanced stats aren't much kinder. You could cherry pick stats to show that he's a solid QB when he gets the ball out fast, or when he isn't under pressure, so maybe you want to blame LaFleur, but then you see open receivers he is ignoring on film. So you can't blame the OC much when the QB isn't even trying to make many of the throws.

He's had some good moments this year, but not enough to make up for the bad ones.

KY Jets Fan, Jets79, abyzmul and 8 others like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On Richard Todd:

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/19/sports/richard-todd-s-career-with-the-jets.html

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree with this statement. The only argument there is really is that Zach could turn this around, and by the end of season the picture significantly changes. As of right now no matter how we are looking at this, it is not looking good. Zach is the only one who can change this, and I really hope he will. I still think he can do it.

#1523 Borat, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Interesting stat you got there..

I counted 16 QBs other than ZW.Above .05..and if I had to guess the OL I front of most of them eg Jimmie G Hurts D Jones is easily 50 % better than our decimated front

The kid has his problems but still no protection too

I bet our 5 wins were when those guys were all healthy

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No one is cherry picking numbers to make Zach look good or arguing that he is playing good. Rather just the opposite. The rational posters have been arguing that he has played poorly for 3 games. I was very critical of his performance against Pitt, GB, Denver and NE. We look at and acknowledge the good plays but agree the bad plays are unacceptable and there has been an unacceptable downwards trend. The difference is we look at all data to try to determine what is going on good and bad and what the causes are. While the people that Chrebet calls haters only looks at the bad and only acknowledges one possible outcome for Zach. That is the difference we are actively learning, analyzing, examining data while they already wrote the story 18 months ago and just regurgitating the same post they have made for 18 months full of factual misinformation while cherry picking stats and film that supports their pre-determined conclusion. The only difference in their posts now as they have temporarily stopped with the JD and Saleh hate until we lose a few more games.

What are you confusing is the foundations of posts vs. the conclusion of posts. The foundations of a post, the facts, logical framework, what is included, what is not included and the process are so much more important than the conclusion. There is very little to no disagreement on the level of Zach's play the last 3 weeks what is in disagreement is the foundation of how people make their posts, the stats they use, the film the use, what they ignore, the fast they make-up as real that do not exist and so on.

What people take issue with these posters is not their opinion but their non evidenced based biased posting based on ego and hate. Their desire to spam the forums with misinformation and disrupt the learning process and exchange of information. Again, I will say this forum does not need to be as stupid or as nasty as the rest of the internet. We can be a much better place but we need to hold our posters to a much higher standard and have no tolerance for those that regurgitate misinformation and continually spam the forum with biased worthless non evidence based opinion posts.

Specifically in regards to Zach's play the stats and the film back it up that he has played at a very high and elite level this year and the last 7 games of last year when he relaxes, plays and does not think. The film break downs show that he understands our offense, he understands what the defenses do, is able to make pre-snap reads, is able to read defense as well and make good reads when he he plays with confidence and relaxes. If you need example look at Pavia's film breakdown after the Miami game. Look at how Zach recognized complex defenses, saw holes in them and immediately went to the correct read playing at an extremely high level. The same can be said for the Tampa game, The Jax game and the 3rd and 4th quarters against Pittsburgh. The stats and the film also shows when he does not relax and presses everything falls apart from mechanics, decision making accuracy and judgment and he plays at an amazingly bad level. Essentially night and day between the two. To ignore the good stats, to ignore the good film is just as bad as ignoring the bad stats and bad film. No one I see does the latter but a small group of haters have been doing the former repeating essentially the same posts for 18 consecutive months.

#1525 Noam, Nov 3, 2022
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The best Stat 4-1 :)

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If the refs don’t blow that call in Denver, it’s a fumble for a touchdown. They likely win and it’s 2 games in a row that Wilson would’ve blown

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If the RTP call never happens we win and Zach is 5-0. What is your point?

9. BrowningNagle

I don’t believe that. Wilson threw 3 INTs after the roughing the passer call, NE woulda been back in the game

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yeah, ok

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He threw 2 after the bogus roughing the passer call and the Pats scored 3 points off those two ints so yes the Jets very likely win without that call.

I’m not a woulda shoulda coulda kind of guy so I’ll bow out of this silly conversation, at least get your facts straight though.

12. BrowningNagle

interesting I guess he threw so many interceptions its hard to remember when

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Are we reading the same forum? That's exactly what's happening.

We have people citing single bad games from Burrow and Herbert as evidence they haven't been good, while neglecting their numbers for the entire season. We have people removing throwaways from Zach to boost his completion % while not doing the same for other QBs. We have people giving Zach hypothetical TDs while not doing the same for other QBs.

We have people saying Zach has been playing well all year and citing one quarter vs. the Steelers and one game vs. the Dolphins, despite his cumulative numbers for the year showing he's been awful.

KY Jets Fan, Jets79, IDFjet and 3 others like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with the RFP penalty is it took all the energy out of the team and Zach. The defense had not mentally recovered and gave up the easy TD to start the 2nd half. Zach did not recover and was pressing. But, the missed FG also was big for Zach and the team. The combination of everything going wrong took a lot of the energy out of them. That will happen with any team especially a young team. We go up 17-3 at half and I have a hard time believing we do not spend the 2nd half playing fully of confidence just punishing NE and beating them by 20 or 30 points. With NE having to pass our DL would have been even better. Zach with a lead and confidence would have hopefully played smarter and with more confidence.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

bingo he doesn’t stay in it even when if he clearly just steps up into it and let his Oline work he would be much better off. Instead he takes of side to side like an idiot, which also makes it look bad on the Oline because then they can’t contain and he get sacked or throws a dumb pick.

i just watched Greg Cosell on Colin’s show and he says what I’ve been saying about ZW. He’s perceiving pressure when it’s not even there and scrambling unnecessary and not stepping up in the pocket

KY Jets Fan and Fiftynine like this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree about the Burrow thing and mostly about the throwaways but I think what you are citing is a false equivalency. You can't compare a few times where someone made an exaggeration and a mistake but normally posts quite well, factually and rationally to posters that have 18 straight months of gibberish, misinformation lies and constant cherry picking. That is like comparing a career violent criminal to someone who went 10 MPH over the speed limit. They both may have broken the law but is not in any shape or form equal. These posters have an agenda and that is to lie, distort, make things up while derailing all discussion and exchange of information and they do it many times everyday, 365 days a year. As a board we should be keeping receipts of this bad behavior and remember who has made this board so toxic and miserable the last 18 months,

#1536 Noam, Nov 3, 2022
    Borat likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Stop with your crap you cannot even interpret posts correctly. Go back to looking at numbers and not watching the games. Somebody mentioned Burrow and Herbert and I commented on them not having good games it had nothing to do with Zach.

KY looked up the numbers he has more throwaways per attempt by far than any QB in the NFL. But you can ignore that to prove a point like you always do. Do you want to go back and argue the 300-yard per game crap again as well?

They are asking Zach to not make the mistakes and he did that the first four games and they won he made mistakes against NE and they lost. Zach plays mistake-free football (NO turnovers) the Jets will have a chance to win every game.

Then we can come on here and argue how his completion percentage is not good enough and how he didn't throw for 300 yards.

18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Absolutely
    I use to kinda fall into that corner as well last year primarily, and coming into the season. Reality hit me that he has a lot of work to do fundamentally very early in his return.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm glad we solved this mystery....

Donttasemebro likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very comprehensive and accurate description of our current situation. There has been great information regarding what it’s needed for him to succeed, major areas of improvement, planting his feet properly, stepping into the pocket, quicker recognition of the defensive fronts. There is no doubt about his throwing motion and arm strength. So from my perspective some supporters and some critics of Zach have provided some really good insight into it, substantiated by video and the like. Some of us have said point blank the Jets absolutely have the wrong guys helping him both in the film room and with his technique. He needs a QB expert. Remember when he wanted to bring to the team as a consultant the same QB guru Allen used. MLF said no, just one voice in Zach’s ear, yeh, wrong voice.
    Unfortunately, that gets completely hidden amidst the hundreds upon hundreds of negative, irrelevant BS one liners,” he absolutely sucks anyone can see that” “he will never be any good” “he is the worst starting QB in the league and should be benched”. No further explanation need. Those guys just spam the forum with their unsubstantiated crap to create controversy. They don’t need the whole picture, or any facts for that matter, they might not even have watched the game, but who cares, it’s shit up against the wall and see what stick. It’s Zach today, Saleh tomorrow, may be JD next.
    Is any one here happy with Zach pure performance stats, %complete, TD to INT, the like, no, but many feel they are correctable, while other want to throw it all in the trash and start anew without even knowing the real root cause.
    There has to be a come to Jesus meeting Between Saleh, JD and MLF. Subject ZW. What are we doing to really help this kid.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.