Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Not trying to single you out individually here but you're just the most recent person to bring him up and insinuate Burrow is playing bad this year.

Where did this narrative that Burrow is having a down year come from? Is everyone basing his entire season off of the Cleveland game? Sure, Burrow had a "down game" against Cleveland where he went 25/35 for 232 yards 2 TDs and 1 INT.

However, Burrow is currently 1st in the league in passing yards (2,329) with 17 TDs (3rd most), 6 INTs, on a 69.2% completion %. He's also got the 6th best Passer Rating in the league and is 15th in ESPNs QBR.

I can't reemphasize this enough to everyone, Burrow is not having a bad year by any stretch of the imagination.

Br4d, REVISion, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nania grades all of Zach throws and gives him his worst grade in his 18 starts.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/11/02/ny-jets-qb-zach-wilson-grade-vs-patriots/

The play that I think was typical of Wilson's day was the 2nd and 8 at 8:30 of the 1st quarter. He looks at CJ, he is open and he is about to throw, hesitates, then gets flustered and runs backwards 10 yards for no reason, he then throws form the 22 rather than the 12 yard line and throws a beautiful pass into a tight window to Carter where the DB makes a really nice play to stop a TD. This is play perfectly characterized all the problems and good things with Wilson.He reconnizes the defense, makes the right pre-snap read sees the open man, wants to throw but second guesses himself then gets flustered because he hesitated and runs backwards and makes an easier throw to Carter 10 times more difficult because he is now throwing from the 22 then fires a beautiful laser into a tight window almost making up for all his mistakes. When all is said and done with Wilson this play might define his career.

#1442 Noam, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats the biggest thing. Just keep getting 1st downs. When he goes backwards like that he puts himself in a position where you need to make a bigger play.

(A short slant NOT thrown requires the receiver to come ALLLLL the way across the field, the lineman to hold their blocks longer and Wilson to make a much longer throw)

The running game is getting him 4 yards a carry. He is facing a lot of 3rd and 6s or less. Just step up in the pocket and get first downs

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I felt that the pick combined with the RFP penalty changed everything. The RFP took all the energy out of the team and it took the entire team some time to recover. I think that RFP penalty did more damage to Wilson than the pick. The missed FG was another nail in the coffin. This is a young team that plays on emotion and all these bad events really took a toll on them especially Wilson.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I never said he was having a bad year. I simply said that after his first year people were ready to induct him into the HOF. He hasn't quite duplicated that based on stats.

Further, I'm not comparing him to Zach or vice versa, just pointing out that stats aren't everything.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything but your last statement. I don't think any one play at this point will define his career.

Noam likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The real glaring difference is when you look at throwaways per passing attempt. Wilson is at 10% when you look at that number, far higher than any guy on the list.

(I now see that this has been addressed above.)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

It's not a hard throw, but it is when you're moving backwards and do it off your back foot. The only guy who makes that throw in the same manner is Rogers...and zach ain't rogers.

KY Jets Fan and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Once they played, none of those players looked like this, so I don’t really get the comparison.

Other quarterbacks move the chains more consistently. Wilson has made Idunno 4-5 big time throws on huge gainers in all his starts? That’s not enough in the NFL.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. Ralebird

I cannot believe that someone has not developed a legitimate video game type simulator training tool that will help a quarterback find defenders and anticipate play development and improve reaction time. They exist for challenges like air traffic control and pilot training that account for multiple data points moving in various directions and speeds, not dissimilar to receivers and defenders and also must consider the third dimension of altitude. A flat playing field should make it easy and speed could easily be increased as proficiency is upgraded. On the other hand, maybe this exists and is being used but wouldn't we know about it?

#1450 Ralebird, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Jets-N-Terps

YES! It is painful to watch him roll back and sideways when a simple step up and 5 yard run would either move the chains or make a short 3rd or 4th down...

12. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Did it occur to anyone prior to last Sunday that the Jets COULD go deep into the playoffs next season? Did you even think with another A+ offseason this team COULD possibly make it to the Superbowl?

I know I did. Statement of fact, criticize it all you want. From my standpoint, I BELIEVE if the Jets made the playoffs this season and got everyone playing at least near their max potential. Then had another A+ offseason? I would think they could go very deep into the playoffs?

There's only one problem right now and unfortunately it has the potential to hold up the entire team. There's only person not doing his job well enough.

Remember shortly after the draft and free agency what everyone said? Pretty much everyone said this season was ALL about the coaching staff and QB. Because there wasn't any way you could possibly blame the team's plight this season on Joe Douglas. That still holds true now.

This team is on a schedule and I'm convinced there's GREAT things in the not so distant future if things go right.

That ALL depends on the QB. The way I see it, the offensive coaching staff isn't completely blameless. The QB continues to not know how to properly throw the ball away. This has been going on all season. Everyone knew with the way he throws the ball away that if it continued it would result in TURNOVERS. Well, they didn't get the QB practicing how to properly dispose of the football on dead plays. Hence what happened in the NE game.

The rest is on the QB. Unless he shows marked improvement over the rest of this season he has the potential to not only ruin a playoff year for the Jets but ruin bigger plans next season.

This season is a referendum on the QB. Everyone knows it and might as well stop arguing the point. I invite you to change my mind but I really this is what the MAJORITY of Jeys fans are thinking and just haven't chosen to say.

This team is good enough to do GREAT things. It's the QB that's going to either:

1) Get with the program. Unfuck his play and this team continues growing. Or

2) the QB ultimately prevents this team from doing great things and then we have to wonder how it will ever get back on track.....

13. Ralebird

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

LaFleur did a fantastic job of scheming guys open with rub routes throughout the game, similar to what New England was doing to the Jets defense.

Problem is, Wilson either doesn’t see it, or is big game hunting. I have a hard time believing Zach isn’t seeing it, given that rub routes like that are designed to go that way. He’s big game hunting and doesn’t have to.

Zach has 9 games to show he can play within the structure of the Jets offense or he’s out in my eyes. This Jets team is way too talented on offense and defense to lose to shit teams like New England. That New England team that they lost to on Sunday, SUCKS.

KY Jets Fan, Borat, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  15. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

He’d also be able to see the field a lot better. The blocking is supposed to open up lines of sight and passing lanes.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Your right and my statement was poorly worded. His fate and ultimate evaluation is a long ways away. But in regards to the current inconsistent Zach that play defines him in his current state. Good things, high ceiling along with frustrating self inflicted wounds.

I will say I applaud you Cval and a few others Colorado for your positive take. Your rational long term posts often trump my Monday morning overreaction walking me back from the ledge. Thank you.

As a Jet fan regardless of Zach's struggles we should be really happy. JD and RS have amazingly assembled a damn good team well beyond any of our expectations. The future is bright and it is a good time to be a Jet fan.

17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I see no other NFL QB going backwards on virtually every throw. Even when pressure is light, this guy has to go backwards. Someone has to get on the GD practice field with Zach and drill it into his head over and over and over:
    Dont run backwards. Run forward. Take the check down if it is there. Either take a sack or throw the GD ball away, but for the love of god, don't go backwards. If you cant throw tha ball away, go down if there is pressure, live to play another down.

This CS is really questionable imho. They do nothing imo to make Zach better.

18. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Zack Wilson sucks and it's not gonna change. He's not the guy.

JETFUEL1580, Jets69 and SOJAZ like this.
  19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Jesus. Another Zach thread? Really? Do you think this said anything new?

20. Jets-N-Terps

I seriously doubt it's the coaches. We have no idea what they are telling him or coaching him to do, but I would be shocked if he hasn't had that drilled into his head already. They probably have gone over it so much, they can't believe he is still doing it, but here we are. You can't blame coaching when the player doesn't listen or panics and reverts to the backyard football when he's under the slightest bit of pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.