Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So obviously Wilson gets the rest of the season. The Jets would be dumb as fuck to not try to figure this situation out even if it means sacrificing a one and done in the playoffs as the 7 seed.

Second thing is that it’s getting a bit ridiculous that everything Wilson does wrong needs “context.” That becomes excuses rather than context.

papapump, REVISion, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've not seen a single person say they expect Zach to be a Pro Bowl QB this year or last year. That's obviously the hope though, right? That we finally got our guy. Our Josh Allen, Burrow, Herbert, etc.

Zach's just got to give us competent, middle of the road type QB play which shouldn't be THAT difficult for the 2nd overall pick. I can live with him being average for a few years before he makes that leap. That's honestly what I was expecting from him when we drafted him. Decent play, top 15-20ish play for 2-3 years and then once things started to click for him, boom, he makes the leap.

He started pretty bad against Pittsburgh (was 8-24 with only 105 yards before the 4th quarter) but played fantastic in the 4th and led us to a comeback, which absolutely counts for something. Doesn't mean that was a "good" game for him but it proved that he CAN be good. I agree that he played great against Miami. Honestly thought it was one of, if not the best game he's played as a pro. I'd put that Miami game right up there with the Tennessee game last year as his best. If that's what we got from Zach every week, we'd all sign up for that in a heartbeat but we're not.

We're getting a QB that's 34th this year in completion percentage (54.9%) which is surprisingly worse than last year (55.6%), a QB that's 24th in QBR (41.7) which is better than last year (33.4) (that's a plus), a QB that's tied for the 5th most INTs this year (5) while playing 2-3 fewer games than most QBs ahead of him and only has 3 TDs, and a QB that's 34th in Passer Rating on the season (71.0) which again is better than last year (69.7) (another plus).

There's a lot of time left for him to turn this season around but to say he's been good for anything other than the Miami game and the 4th quarter of the Pittsburgh game is just factually incorrect.

And to refute your Brady and Rodgers claims, I'll provide you links to their stats and let you check for yourself as to whether or not they're appropriate. IMO they are not, Brady and Rodgers vastly outperformed Zach in their first couple of years as a starter, and it ain't that close.

Brady Stats

Rodgers Stats

REVISion and MoWilkBeast like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You look at how he played the last 7 games last year and he was not running backwards but rather aggressively running forwards. Scrambling was a big part of his game last year and throughout camp this year there was a big emphasis scrambling for positive yards. Somehow that shifted after the injury. Zach acknowledged it this week. Zach said he watches Josh Allen and Allen aggressively runs forwards taking easy yardage while he run backwards. At least he is aware

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Well said.

The Jets cannot go into the off-season not knowing if Zach is part of the plan or not. This team has a very good defense and are well coached on special teams. They need the QB position sorted out. I truly do think this team is a QB away from being a really solid contender in the AFC. Not Buffalo or KC level, but solidly in that second tier.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This statement is true but also irrelevant.

This year both guys are Top 5 in yards, Top 14 in Completion %, Top 7 in TDs, Top 12 in QBR, and Top 15 in Passer Rating.

We'd all kill for Zach to be mentioned in any of those categories I just listed. They may not be playing as well as they did last year but they're still not playing bad or "not that great".

I don't understand how you think a stat that is consistent across the board is misleading. Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, and Daniel Jones all have more hurries against them this year than Zach does, yet they all have a completion % of 65% or more.

I don't disagree that when Zach has time and throws when he's supposed to that he's a good QB, stats can back that up too, but that's just not always going to be the case. He's got to learn to sit in the pocket and make plays within the structure of the offense. The plays are there to be had, he just has to learn to make them and stop putting himself into bad and unnecessary spots. Zach is an accurate QB when he's not under pressure but he's the least accurate QB in the league when faced with pressure. Again, QBs WILL get pressured, its not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Zach has to learn how to calm his mind and navigate those situations correctly. Hopefully we can figure that out soon, because I truly think he can still be a very good QB in this league if he does. If he doesn't, he'll just be the next in a long line of highly-drafted QB prospects that couldn't figure that part out.

Jets79, papapump and REVISion like this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Some of his bad habits seem to get fixed, but new ones pop up. Sounds like he works hard and in re-watching more of the game, I see the big throws, the mobility, the big arm and quick release. He made a lot of really good throws Sunday and he stayed aggressive even after the picks - which to me, is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not reckless. If he could just start to put these things together I believe a big jump in his game is possible. I really do see more in him than I did in say, Sanchez, who he'd been compared to in recent week.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Rodgers did not play until year 3 and was still a game-manager type QB. Brady was on a stacked team and game-managed his way to Superbowl year 2 I believe. My point is it takes time.

Stop with the completion percentage (he won his first four games) you can't just discount that. He throws the ball away more than any other QB.

Out of the five games he played only threw picks in two games so let's not act like that is now an issue. He has been very inconsistent played great q4 Pitt (you cant just discount that) He played really well against Miami (That everyone just ignores) and played good against the packers (Making the big throw when needed) . Played good enough against the Broncos (Has made every QB look bad) and made three crucial mistakes against the Pats.

The kid gets zero credit for the wins. He can and will play better. I hope anyway but come on he is 4-1.

Patience, I do not care where he was drafted it takes time to learn to play QB in the NFL. If he does not improve through the year I may change my tune but let's judge him in context not fantasy numbers.

I said where I think he needs to improve this year. He has been very good on schedule. He needs to scramble less and run more and take more short yardage sacks in the pocket. He needs to stop going backward step-up and run or take the sack.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think he throws the ball away at much higher rate than any QB. ( I don't have that stat but would love to know) I will eat crow if I am wrong but I have never seen a QB throw the ball away as much as Zach. Some of that is on him. He runs around like a crazy man and then throws the ball away. He needs to step up, run or take the sack. When he starts running around it actually messes up his whole game.

KY Jets Fan and IDFjet like this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree if he does not correct this he will not make it in the NFL. This is his biggest issue. His coaches just need to tell him to stop.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You think throwing for 4,038 yards with 28 TDs and 13 INTs on a 63.6% comp. % is being a game manager? (Rodgers stats during his first year as a starter)

You've got a better case with Brady as he only threw for 2,843 yards 18 TDs and 12 INTs on a 63.9% comp. % in his 2nd year (first full year as a starter).

My main point with both of those examples is that if those were the type of stats we were getting from Zach, I highly doubt there would be all of this discourse surrounding him. Sure, you'd probably have a few that would expect more and say he's a bust or whatever but we're not getting anything close to this from Zach. Brady and Rodgers also improved fairly significantly from their first to second years as the starter. We're still getting bottom of the league type production from Zach.

Again, Zach still has an opportunity to turn this season around and I truly hope he does but there's no comparison between what Rodgers and Brady were able to do early in their careers and what Zach's done, up to this point.

Why should we stop highlighting completion percentage? It's a very accurate way to judge someone on their accuracy ( :D ) and it's consistent across the entire league. There's obviously context to each situation but no situation can be thought of or looked at as a statistical anomaly when compared across the rest of the data.

I literally gave him credit for the 1st 2 games he played this year while admitting that up until the 4th quarter against Pittsburgh, it was bad that game. He turned it around and played lights out in the 4th and led us to a comeback. Same with Miami, easily his best game of the year and maybe of his career so far.

The organization obviously still has patience in Zach, that's why he's still the starter, as he should be. He's got the rest of this year, and at the very least will have an opportunity to be the team's starter next year. I don't know how much more patience he needs. He's gonna have the opportunity so I hope he focuses on improving, especially in the ways you mentioned, and becomes the QB we all hope/know he can be.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

“Just stop it Zach!” That’s all, just stop it Zach. It’s all the coach’s faults, the idiots just need to tell Zach to stop being so fucking awful. Just stop it. Why can’t we find coaches who know how to tell shitty players to stop being shitty?

stinkyB and All Gas No Shake like this.
  12. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Zach doesn't know how to read a defense and that is his death knell.

Ralebird and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Based off of PFF's Premium Stats, Zach is currently tied for 6th in the league with 14 throwaways.

Kirk Cousins is 1st with 20 (played 7 games = 2.86 TAs per game)
    Derek Carr, Patrick Mahomes, and Matt Ryan are all tied for 2nd with 18 (each have played 7 games = 2.57 TAs per game)
    Tom Brady is 3rd with 15 (played 8 games = 1.86 TAs per game)
    Zach is tied with Jacoby Brissett, Aaron Rodgers, and Kyler Murray with 14 (Zach has only played 5 games = 2.8 TAs per game)

He's high (2nd most on a per game basis in the league) but he's not that much of an outlier that it would have any meaningful impact on his completion %. It's actually fewer than the leader (Cousins) and Cousins still has a 66.3% completion %.

[​IMG]

Jets79, REVISion and MoWilkBeast like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lighten up on Zach guys. It wasn't his fault he went 2nd overall, when it seemed pretty obvious to rational people he was a mid to late first round talent.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Doesn't That depend on the number of passes thrown as well? Kirk has 264 attempts to Zach's 142. Throw away per attempt would be a more accurate number and it proves my point.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I will not argue your point but if you think that slant is open you are smoking crack.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

My real point is that Compl % is not Zach's issue and is IMHO irrelevant to this discussion. Zach's issue is how he scrambles and making quicker decisions.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, good points. I just meant, situationally, the first interception was the worst. It changed the game. It is the kind of play that can't happen with the kind of football the Jets have been playing lately. After that play, Zach was not the same the rest of the game. Truly unfortunate. I believe he can bounce back, but it will be tough against Buffalo. He needs to play a great game just to keep the Jets in it.

Noam and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Buffalo is probably the easiest pass defense he has played in the last three weeks. Buffalo scored 24, 27, 23 points against the Chiefs , Ravens and Packers. Our defense should keep us in this game and Zach just needs to make timely plays. No big mistakes and the game will come down to the fourth Quarter.

Josh Allen will throw a couple balls up for grabs the Jets just need to come down with them.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Stats need context not what he did wrong. You can talk about what he did wrong without using out of context stats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.