Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

To be fair, based on the game of the bears vs pats. Justin Fields had the same issue with doing that against the pats. The difference, when nothing was open he would take off and get +10 yards on the run.

Lon Chaney and Acad23 like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I sincerely hope that Zach, MLF, and Calabrese are aware of these stats.

This is the blueprint for success for Zach. Keep him in the pocket and dial up more quick hitters to get Zach in the mindset of getting rid of the ball quickly. It's actually perfect too considering the skill guys we have. This type of system is perfect for GW, Elijah, Mims, CD, and MC. Put the ball in their hands early and often and let them feast on YAC opps.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Check the "PKT TIME" stat here:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

Zach's average time from snap until pressure arrives is average among all QBs. He's not facing more pressure than most.

ouchy likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is the most important thing. Zach's athletic so I've got no issue with him trying to break the pocket and create off schedule if the situation arises but he's got to develop a better sense of when these situations actually arise. I feel like he's too quick to abort mission at the first sign of pressure which isn't always necessary and has contributed to a bunch of his problems during his career.

I just finished listening to the Official Jets Podcast with Eric Allen and Bart Scott. They had Tyler Conklin on this week and discussed Zach quite a bit during the podcast (them talking about Zach begins at around the 13-14 min mark of the podcast for those interested). Seems like after the initial film review of the Pats game, pocket awareness is a focus point for Zach and it seems like Zach is aware that what he did against the Pats wasn't acceptable (this part starts closer to the 15-16 min mark). Tyler said he and Zach talked about the Bills/Packers game and Zach mentioned the main difference between how he and Josh Allen scramble is that Zach is always retreating and throwing off of his back foot but a lot of times when Josh Allen scrambles, he's attacking the LOS and then he decides on whether he wants to take off or make a throw. He said this is something Zach wants improve on/work on.

I'm glad he understands that what he's doing is wrong and is putting him in a bad spot. I'm hopeful that he can truly learn this lesson and find ways to correct it going forward.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction watching it live.
    Hated the play-call and hated Zach's lazy, flat-footed, off-target throw on a poor read.

It flashed in my head right there... we were going to lose due to poor QB play.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Based on those stats Zach is tied for 7th in the league for most time before pressure.

Interesting on this chart Flacco is 23rd, which shows how bad our line was the first 3 games.

Every rookie QB this year is in the bottom half except Willis, and they are having decent rookie years.

No time to throw would be good excuse for Davis Mills.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not saying Pitts was a great game, but overall, including 4th quarter, it was average. Miami game I feel was above average. GB game I watched in great detail. There was a lot of pressure and WR were not open. Maybe we can say little below average. Denver game, again did not see much open when pressured, but Zach could have done better, it was below average game, but not terrible. NE was terrible. Overall, I am very concerned Zach is not going to pan put, but not ready to throw white towel on him just yet.

There were positive signs. He completed some big time passes and overall moved the offense well on several drives. In addition to points scored, he drove for a FG range twice and nearly scored a TD for both. TOs were idiotic, but seem to be correctable. Previous 3 games he didn't have any, so it's not like we have a pattern here. Ability to use his legs to gain yards I feel is still there, but Zach is hesitant. That may be correctable. Also, some improvement in the OLine could go long way. Expect to have that after bye.

Not trying to sugar coat, this is not looking great and trending down. But there is still some chance the trend can be reverted. I think we will might have some more concrete answers after next game or two.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It was not average. Wilson completed 50% of his passes in the Pitt game. That'd rank Wilson 36th in the league. His QB rating that game was 59, which would be 36th in the league.

I think we should give Wilson the rest of the year too but there's some serious revisionist history going on with his performances so far this year.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, JetBlue and 3 others like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not revisionist history in a lot of cases. It's a Jets fan looking at a performance and saying "that looks pretty average compared to what we usually have".

Our perspective on young QB's is badly warped by the fact that Clemens, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold and now Zach Wilson are what we've come up with when we've picked a QB on day one or two.

Right now the Jets are probably in the top 5 all time in franchises that suck at drafting and developing QB's.

The answer probably is to go find a journeyman QB who once was a high pick, like Vinny, and just go with him for 3 or 4 years as we develop the offense. Drafting another high pick QB is probably 90% to fail because we're the Jets and we do not know how to make that work.

I posted in another thread that QB's aren't developed at the NFL level, they're developed in college and then succeed or not after a half season or so of real game experience in the NFL. That's mostly correct but the flipside is that teams also develop successful QB's by drafting them and purposely sitting them for a year or more to learn about NFL game speed from close observation. Mahomes, Rodgers, Carson Palmer and Philip Rivers are really good examples of this. Chad was a pretty good example also.

The Jets however like to ruin their new toys as quickly as possible and if you are a 1st round pick you are going to be on the field year one. The late 2nds, like Clemens and Hackenberg, were not but they couldn't play NFL QB and it was pretty clear that was the case year one. Clemens got on the field year two because Chad uncharacteristically began throwing picks.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach vs NE takeaways from each passing play from video posted earlier. In bold are anything but completions.

1st Half
    -Short pass to Carter, inc
    -Long pass to Mims, inaccurate, inc. Could have been a long gain. Mims still catches it, but the ball is too far out of bounds

-comp - screen short to Carter
    -comp sidearm on the pressure run to Conkilin
    -Inc, too high for open Conklin
    -comp to GW, long pass
    -Has Uzomah for 5 yard gain on second and 8, looks at him, doesn't throw, steps back, throws to Carter for TD, good pass, but better defense to bat the ball.
    3d and 8, no one open to get 1st down, pressure comes quick, throws away

-Toss to GW for long gain
    -Another to GW for 1st down
    -To carter for 1st down
    -Conklin TD
    -Pass batted down on 3d and 2 to Moore
    -1st down to Conklin
    -Complete to Carter for 8
    -Pressured, runs to the left. I can't tell if anything is open before pressure comes, but does not look like it. Sees GW around the hash, who is moving backwards to the first round hash, throws at him GW keeps running back and the ball end up behind him. This is a broken play and a bit of miscommunication, where Zach though GW would stop to get most yards, but he kept going back.
    -3d and 2, Zach looks right, Berrios is open for a screen pass, and it looks like he could get 1st down, but there was a defender at the first down hash. Maybe Zach thinks he won't get it. Also possible he is is looking at Conklin ahead, but he is not open. Moves to second read: wide open Ty, pressure is coming so, Zach takes a step back, and floats the ball over him for INT.

2nd Half

- 10+ gain to GW on 3d and 6
    - Long gain to Conklin
    - Looks left, there is guy open, not sure who, but two guys around him for about 5 yard gain on 2nd and 11. Looks like he can fit is but doesn't pull the trigger, pressure comes, he steps back and underthrows to the end zone to Conkiln on 1 on 1. If put more air on it, Conklin might actually have a chance, but ball wobbles.
    - Steps back, can't tell is anyone is open, but throws wobbly pass to the right, too short.
    - Looks straight, no one open on 1st and 18 goes to Robinson to the right, ball tipped, inc.
    - 2nd and 18. Looks like Berrios is open for short gain. Zach bails early afraid to get a safety, rolls right, throws the ball away. One step away from safety.
    - 1st and 10. Wilson rolls right, has some time, looks downfield. Can't tell if anyone is open, Zach doesn't think so apparently. Pressure comes. Zach throws the ball away ... to NE. INT. Stupid.

- Completes to GW for 1st down.
    - 2nd and 7. This is the time where he gets pressured, but could have stepped in and hit GW for fist down. He does step up , but after looking at the rusher from his right. Loses time and now has to run and throw the ball away. I feel like here if he trusted pass pro, could have been a completion.
    - Pocket collapses, Zach rolls right, throws to his closed guy surrounded by 3 Pats. One of them catches. Stupid INT.

- Complete to Mims for 13 yards.
    - Great long pass to Uzomah
    - No one open, Pressure comes, tries to lob it for short game. Misses short this time. Overcompensation for INT 1?
    - Looks left, no one open, I see a guy in the middle, but pressure comes, escapes right, throws the ball away.
    - Seems to escape the pocket too early. throws away.
    - 4th and 5, has wide ass open lane to get 1st down with feet. Throws long pass to Conklin for a TD, and almost completes in tight window, but just long. Should have taken 1st down here.

- 6 yard completion short to Carter.
    - Had Conklin open of 5 on 2nd and 9, but pressure arrives. I think he should have thrown it. Trues to escape, but sacked.
    - Completes short pass on 3d and 21.
    - Long pass to Mims, plus YAC for 65.
    - 1st down, Carter open for short gain inside. As time is an issue I think Zach throws it away to reset. I think this was the right call not to take 5 yards, but save the clock.
    - 2nd and 10, completes to Smith for near TD.
    - 1st and goal, no open receivers to go to, stays in pocket and gets sacked.
    - 2nd and goal, he only looks for TD, no one seems to be open, throws into the end zone where only his guy has a chance, but too high.

- 3d and goal, stays in the pocket, gets pass pro, find Conklin for TD.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Go with a vet, establish the offense, then upgrade when the time comes. This is what the Chiefs did when Reid arrived.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This

also, there’s a running commentary that he improved after he came back last year and has been improving…great but none if that improvement is reflected in any better stats so far…in fact several key stats have really not changed much…the ONLY one that was clearly improved was the reduction in picks…but that was really the result of severely limiting his throws to reduce risk…as evidenced by games of like 120 yards. I get the game plan, I get the defenses were tough, I get the OL injuries but cone on..,that is NOWHERE near NFL quality work, and as soon as he had to do more he imploded

I’m loving the wind, and shit if he goes for 120 yards per game and we keep winning then that’s great, but that doesn’t mean we can say he’s our FQB

I give him the rest of the year to show REAL improvement… not bullshit excuse laden eye test improvement…by the end of the year, he’ll have enough games where the stats will be a damn good indicator of who he is.

he doesn’t need to be top five to me…he just needs to be midpack…but he can’t be bottom two or three ranked QB and give us any confidence that he can improve…

KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is still time before the trade deadline for this

15. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Not enough time for a vet like minshew to learn the offense and make a playoff push.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The kid made some great throws. He has to learn it is sometimes ok to give up on a play or take a sack. His completion percentages are so low because he throws the ball away a lot. He needs to run or step-up for a short yardage sack.

Zach played well the first four games and still got shit from this site. Like he said he gets sick of throwing the ball away. He is right he needs to stop throwing the ball away and either run or take the sack. Running backward and doing his best impression of Fran Tarkington (Younger posters can look him up, he was the QB for the Vikings and Giants and ran around like a chicken with his head cut off) is not the answer.

The good thing with this last game is you can see the talent. He made a bunch of tight-window throws. Just stop with the different arm angle throws while off balance. I predict a solid game against buffalo.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And the eagles aren't going to trade their backup QB in the middle of a playoff chase.

#1357 ouchy, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

that;s all needs be said.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Burrow was not good last night, he threw 3 pics in his first game then settled down and had a couple of solid games all in all he has not played great.

Herbert struggled just as bad against Denver as Zach did. Zach just threw it less and had more throw aways. You throw the ball away your completion percentage goes down. In reality, Zach has 5 TDs and 5 Pics.

Burrow and Herbert get the benefit of the doubt for a bad game because they have both performed at a higher level Zach. Let's not act like they have played well this year.

Can someone tell me Zach's adjusted completion percentage when you take away throwaways?

Unlike this site thinks the most important stat to a QB's success is not 300 yard games, completion percentage, or TD passes but interceptions. The games we won Zach did not throw picks. he was able to rebound against Pitt but it was the nail in the coffin against the Pats.

Stop with BS that Zach was not good the first four games because he was.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What was good about Zach Wilson in his first 4 games?

And what is the point of adjusting someone's completion percentage to account for takeaways? Isn't that what 'percentage' is used for to begin with?

It is assumed that every QB will throw some balls away over the course of a game thats why 70% completion percentage is considered a high mark performance and not 100% and why we put their performance into percentages instead of looking at raw figures

KY Jets Fan, Ralebird, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.