Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I posted recently that the time is NOW

What perfectly constructed team ever one a SB ?? You get there by some savvy in season and post season moves on the Chessboard

Look at the Phil Eagles currently with a perfect record and a draft pick Hurts that has paid off big time ...but add to that an AJ Brown and you have a complete gamechanger

FTMR The Eagles won their last SB with only a half year of Wentz ands then journeyman Foles pulled it off for them...

My point is you build as solid a team as possible every year (no matter who you are) so that you get in the Playoffs..the Eagles won their last SB with a good coach , a competent QB and an outstanding team

AtM the Jets are poised to definitely be a playoff contender with JDs additions ..other than the OL we have a compatible team and high ranking Defense

So is 2022 just another Zac experiment year ...??? I guess that's what Saleh and JD want but it's not a good idea to waste the talent we have other that Zach

Go with option B get Dalton or some other vet and maybe win a SB but keep Zac on the payroll till he's ready

#1201 NYJetsO12, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m repeating a previous post I made about Wilson but this season, win or lose, has to be about his development. Benching him in hopes of making the playoffs with a temporary QB serves zero long-term purpose for this team. The only value to making the playoffs is if it is a result of a core of players, including the QB, that future success is built upon. Mike White ain’t winning us a SB so who cares if he manages to make the playoffs. Better to know whether you are continuing with Wilson, or moving on from him, next season.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with drafting another QB if Zach continues to play like this, along with having a truly open QB competition for the starting job. Worst case scenario is it lights a fire under Zach and best case is we improve significantly at QB.

4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We already seen enough to know if he's the guy. How much more does he has to suck at these levels? He has two starting TEs, WRs, average OL, and good RBs. There's literally not much else the Jets can put around him other than a better RT.

If INTs were the only bad plays we can live with it. But he's doing stuff like this. MLF haters can keep quiet. This is a TD or big play nicely drawn up if Zach reads the safety and the CBs back to him.

IIMeanDeanII and SOJAZ like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So I agree that it’s too early to throw in the towel. I believe he will (and should) get the rest of this year and honestly he’ll most likely get next year as well, but I think whatever he ends up this year with will likely be a pretty good indicator of what he will be.

where we disagree is regarding the progress or lack there of. I just don’t see it. People may bang on me for “only looking at the stats without context” but shit the dude has been a 55% passer since day 1 and it hasn’t really improved much. His TD to pick ratio is no better this year than it was last year. Sooner or later, the stats WILL be reflective of who he is as the sample size grows.

On the eye test level, his ball placement is still very inconsistent…yes he threads some nice throws that show he has talent, but there are WAY too many off target throws still. His first throw yesterday was sailed high. Way too many. He STILL rifles in three yard dump offs.

And he STILL misses open receivers…just watching the game live without going back and rewatching or charting the game, offhand I saw several plays where he had an open guy easy in the flat and passes it up to take a shot into coverage.

So sure he’s young…he has natural athleticism and talent…to me it’s more the mental aspect of his game that needs to improve.

can he do it? Who knows…there have been plenty of physically talented strong armed QBs who never “got it”

but so far, I don’t think the progress has been there as much as we’d like to believe…the wins were great but he was a passenger along for the ride outside of Pitt Q4. We need to see more of that Zach

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

perfectly stated…this is my view exactly…

by 24-26 games you kind of see it…we’ll know a lot more by the end of this year…hopefully it’s good news

but yeah, we’ve not yet seen a statement game from him. Not even close

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

A former DL knows more about WR routes and defensive covg than Zach. Zach is football stupid, period. He had a whole offseason to study and learn so he could at least reach a level of competency in terms of football intelligence, yet here we are. He should stick to banging his mom’s friends.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I hated the pick when it was made and he has never swayed my opinion the other way. I’m more than happy to move on from him but it’s not my job performance and credibility on the line. Unless Douglass can trade for a legitimate QB who will anchor the team for several years, the rational decision is to play Wilson and make that decision with certainty at the end of the season.

SOJAZ and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I couldn’t of said it better myself was watching on tv jumping up and down and after he scores the flag lights up - what a sickening feeling……

As far as Zach goes it’s alarming because it seems he should have taken that next step forward but took it backwards instead …

The first INT was an overthrow - annoying but it happens. It would of all been forgotten if not for that boneheaded penalty by JFM. The second one was a ridiculous throw but the defender’s leg was OB when he caught it so to me that shouldn’t have counted. The 3rd INT was just a nightmare and it flashed back to last year’s NE game - the worst of the three…..

Noam likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The repeated late hits are probably not avoidable unless the Jets do something to make sure JFM learns.

If you had a disciplinarian head coach who was willing to be a total asshole about it then JFM would either learn or demand a trade.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

One awful game o_O

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I agree with you in that I also hated the pick. I disagree that Zach should automatically get the entire season. He has not improved in any facet of the game. He was awful from day one, and he’s still awful. If you read between the lines you realize the reason Flacco has been downgraded to basically off the team is because it would undermine the integrity of the coaching staff, since they claim to be playing the best players always. Flacco is better than Wilson. Flacco isnt good, but he’s so much better than Wilson. Getting Flacco out of the picture buys them and Zach about 3 or 4 more games before the players start grumbling for White.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

An absolute hell no on Levis.

14. Mogriffjr

Today’s QB’s need some sort of mobility and Flacco simply doesn’t have that.

The ascension of the team shouldn’t deter from developing Zach neither. Say he stays on the current path, shows enough to be a game manager, maybe next year you bring in a Brissett who is a borderline starter but can definitely be a top backup in the league. If Zach doesn’t improve by next season, you have a veteran who can come in and lead the way.

But if he improves enough where you say, year 3…he’s done seen all types of defenses and been in the trenches enough that the game slows down for him. We certainly don’t know when that happens or even if it will. But it’s vital that Zach gets these games to know for sure…ugly or great. We must be patient…he’s still quite green as a QB.

ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Clean pocket his numbers say he’s been very good. Against the blitz he’s not recognizing well.

he’s improving but definitely needs to clean up a lot of areas. I still saw 5-6 throws last game that make me believe lol.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and LAJet like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach lost us this game and played like shit, the there is no argument from me. But he didn't lose us last 4 games before that. And made a good contribution to win first two games he started, then kept TO free and escaped from sacks to make some contribution to win other two games. This is not where I thought Zach would be at this point, but it is not like he is losing us every game. If he starts doing that, then after another game or two like this we have Mike White, and then Chris Streveler to try out. Both had their moments in NFL and that's the QB room we have. What else can we do in 2022? I personally think Zach rebounds from this and has a good game against the Bills though.

Also, Wentz was the reason why they made play-offs that year. He won them 11 games out of 13 in reg season and earned them 1st round bye and two home games in play-offs. Without him I am not sure they even make play-offs. Foley can be good for stretches, but not entire year. They were lucky his good stretch came in 3 play-off games.

ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

if he stays on the current path it’d be insulting to all game managers to call him one. Mac Jones is a game manager, Ryan Tanehill is a game manager, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett…. These are game managers. Game managers understand the game of football, they just last the physical ability to be elite. Zach doesn’t understand the game of football. Zach is literally the worst starting QB in the league, and probably worse than most team’s backup. Zach has mountains to climb before he reaches the level of game manager. Zach is a game killer

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Barring absolute disaster, I don’t see Hooker making it out of say the top 15. He’s on the fast track to win the Heisman as long as Georgia doesn’t completely eat his lunch next week.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I quite seriously believe we are going off the deep end if we think Flacco is a better option at his time. Immobility at QB is absolutely the worst possible constraint behind this line we could possibly have. The best option is to change the game plan and incorporate plays Zach is most comfortable with and less plays MLF wants at the detriment of his QB and his receivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.