Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I understand what you’re saying but he’s had mental breaks - 4 weeks last year and about 6 this year…. He needs to stop with the foolish back footed throws - just plant that foot and wing it. I’m surprised there isn’t more of those quick release passes called - and those would probably benefit a guy like Moore in the slot even more …

Jets79 likes this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Good analysis. When I watched the throws again I was suprised by how many good plays there were. But those 3 INTs were so ugly. I recall being really upset about the INT against Pitt becuase of the game circumstances. But all 3 of these were so awful.

Yes, I also agree when things go bad and he starts pressing the wheels fall off. His mechanics fall apart. The throws without setting his feet are so troublesome. So many of them against the Pats. Each of the last 3 weeks he has had progressively more bad footwork plays. He is a player really in need of a reset and the bye week. As a fan it's a shame as we could have won this game. Zach played bad but that reverse INT TD just sucked the entire life out of the team. The missed FG was also huge. Too many mistakes by Zach, by special teams and that call took all the energy.

As a fan that call took all my energy. As he was running down the sidelines I was mumbling no flag, no flag, no flag becoming more excited as the screen did not show a penalty until Carter was almost in the end zone. Man that was a killer. The game was over and we were going to have another half to just deliver 20 years of payback. I would imagine that it had to suck the life out of the crowd. As a fan it seemed like such a SoJ moment that it really distorted the lenses I used to watch the rest of the game. I think I judged Zach a lot harsher because things had turned so bad for us. Although, I will qualify that, and say those 3 INTs are plays a 2nd year QB should never make. We should never see plays like that even when playing from far behind.

#1142 Noam, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    IIMeanDeanII, mrjet80 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The terrible reality..ZW will learn as hard lesson soon imo

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Very true. Breece was average 5.8 YPC on the year and MC 3.5. When Breece was not running our run game was not functioning. Given the state of our OL and a young unproven QB that is not getting respect from defenses that is not surprising. What is surprising is how damn good and dominant Breece was. I hope he gets back next year we will see the same Breece we saw this year although I am afraid we might have to wait until 2024 to see a fully healthy Breece. Will we even remember the 2022 Breece then?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree that he's been playing like that for 90% of the season. He's made some mistakes, sometimes repeatedly, but he's also shown he can correct those mistakes, resulting in a "2 steps forward; 1 step back" progression for the most part. But there are times when it's "1 step forward; 1 step back", and even a few times - like yesterday - when it's "1 step forward; 2 steps back". There are valid reasons for all of this, and his mistakes can be corrected, but there's no guarantee they will. A lot of his struggles have come from the same source as Darnold's: poor OL play, causing him to rush and even at times panic, leading to the other issues: breakdown of footwork/mechanics, not seeing the field, etc.. But whereas Sam never seemed to apply the lessons learned, Zach has, even if inconsistently. He's gotten better since his first game, even if there have been ups and downs...that's what most young players do before the lightbulb eventually goes on and stays on.

IDK what the right approach is to fixing all this given you can't get a good OL overnight. Zach has to deal with what he's got, but he may be too rattled right now to figure out how to apply all these "lessons". There are signs he's now trying too hard, and that's causing him to think instead of do. It may be necessary to sit him and give his head a chance to clear. Or maybe not. I'm not an expert, nor am I working hands on with him and I don't know what would would work best for him. With that said, I'd probably go with starting him against Buffalo and see if he can apply what he's learned in a real game situation, but if he begins to struggle and fall back into the bad habits, pull him and let him watch from the sidelines.

One thing I would not do is throw in the towel on him. He's got too much talent whether you and the other Wilson Haters see it or not, and he's on a rookie contract. The Zach Wilson Show has more dates to play.

Borat likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fudge up lol if you want to say fuck, say fuck, if you can't because of your job, just don't say another word in its place, it is fucking pathetic.

Orlovsky's record as a QB

Passing attempts: 512
    Passing completions: 298
    Percentage: 58.2
    TDINT: 15–13
    Passing yards: 3,132
    Passer rating: 75.3

Really means he should hide under a fucking rock

7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Michael Carter is merely a scat back and 3rd down back. Let’s be real.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just because he sucked playing the game doesn't devalue his takes or knowledge of the game. I think he says some crazy shit, but his screen breakdowns of the game are still very good.

9. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

The RTP was a tough pill to swallow, but Zach can't make it worse by throwing the INT late in the 2nd qtr. We're still up an entire score at that point. Maybe we can get a FG on that drive.

Noam likes this.
  10. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Zach is unable to run an effective ball control offense because he can't throw the short ball. This presents a unique dilemma for the Jets offensive system, once again proving you cannot fit a square peg into a round hole. Also, everyone saw that the MVP of the Jet offense was Breece, whose injury may end up costing the Jets a playoff berth. Without the threat of Hall ripping off a long run and keeping the opposing DEF honest, Zach ends up looking like practice squad material. It may be difficult to grow the fudge up when one's football IQ may have a limited upside.

James Hasty and SOJAZ like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes he has, and each time he returned "new and improved". But what I'm suggesting in this case is different. In those cases, the "breaks" were because of injury and not because he was being sat for learning purposes. It may be that he needs that as a "wake up call", to reinforce the urgency of him showiong that he can be the guy they thought he drafted.

Of course there's some risk. The guy you put in might be worse. Or - in the case of Zach's perspective - he may show he's better and that will effectively usher in the Zach Wilson, Backup QB phase of his career.

But clearly something has to change.

NYJetsO12 and mrjet80 like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I remember this one, and it was probably worse than the INTs. Wide ass open lane to run and get a first down EASY. Remember against GB I think he ran and slid just short of 1st down even though he could have easily gotten a few more yards and a 1st down. There was a penalty too that wiped the play, but that was not the point. I was befuddled why he didn't get that first down. Now it is the same mistake: reluctance to run and get free yards. Instead he makes a very hard pass to Conklin, who was open in a very tight window 35 yards away, but 3 guys around him. If this is a 1st down, maybe I get it. But 4th down? Run and get the easy 1st down! One of quite a few very bad mistakes by Zach yesterday.

Jets79, Acad23, Nyjets4eva and 2 others like this.
  13. K'OB

Easier to do and say it behind a screen and not on the pitch though, I have no respect for these clowns that move into the booth or press when they were shit players themselves and throw out criticisms like it was easy to do, so easy they couldn't manage it themselves, good players that move to that field, then that is a different matter, they have walked the walk and well you understand my drift.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s really a maturity thing unless there’s grumblings coming out of the organization about that. He’s just consistently skiddish and can’t stand in the pocket and deliver strikes.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think historically speaking, you're probably correct but more often than not lately you have a good idea about what a QB will be within his first 2 years. It's incredibly rare for a QB to be one of the worst in the league his first 2 years and then turn it around and become even just an average one after that.

I'm not 100% out on Zach but he's gotta put it together and be more consistent down the stretch. As of right now, he's the worst young QB we've drafted over the past 10-15 years with arguably the best supporting cast around him.

As bad as Sam, Geno, and Sanchez were, we at least had a few games to point to and say, "See, when he's on, he can put the team on his back for an entire game". I'm yet to see an entire game like that from Zach. I've seen quarters of it, I've seen brief glimpses of it during certain stretches but until those quarters and glimpses turn into full games, I'm just not sure about him anymore.

Zach's definitely got the rest of the year to prove that he can learn from his mistakes and elevate his game. I'm not sure how much more runway JD and Saleh will give him after that though.

16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

In all seriousness what do they do if he’s not thenguy

17. K'OB

SALEH

[​IMG]

JD

[​IMG]

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Is Chad Powers available?

cval and K'OB like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Stupid, stupid post

He can't say fuck on American television. And his stats as an NFL QB are irrelevant to the conversation.

Here's an idea, why dont you comment on something he actually said? is his take wrong about Zach Wilson?

20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Zach's issue with interceptions are the result of his need to be the hero. Each time he wildly wings the ball escaping pressure he shoots himself in the foot as the ball ends up in a defenders grasp. Two less interceptions yesterday and the Jets win a squeaker 17-16.

His post game quotes illustrate that he knows better but, is just 'bored' with the by the book play.

Zach Wilson post game comments 10/30/22
    “Every time I get out of the pocket, it just gets frustrating to throw the ball away,” Wilson said, “and that’s what I’ve done the last four weeks to put us in a good position to not turn the ball over and for us to win, and so I need to just be able to keep doing that when something’s not there. It gets old getting out and not seeing anything there.”

He needs to grow up, stop trying to launch these wild throws to the defense. If he smartens up and plays by the book he will be the hero.

Vida, Jojo, BrooklynJetsFan and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.