Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're probably right. Thx.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I knew you were posting that as a bit of a troll. I knew that but decided to help you out. The thing is, however, if Zach had thrown for 300 yards in 4 straight games, which would almost have to include several TD passes, and maybe an interception or two, would anyone would be complaining or wondering about Zach? If he had played that well, I don't see any way that we would have lost those 4 games.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If you are throwing for over 300 yards you are more than likely playing from behind. In this 4 game winning streak, we have rarely played from behind. A lot of that is on Zach taking care of the football.

The offense we are running is a run-oriented offense. If you look around the league the teams that are playing this offense are struggling in the passing game. The defenses have figured out this passing attack.

Jimmy G - QBR 41
    Stafford QBR 47
    Rodgers QBR 40
    Flacco- QBR 30
    Wilson- QBR 46

Tua seems to be the only one that is excelling as a passer in this offense this season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

They are light years away from KC or Buf... JD has put together a good roster "but" sustained success is all about the QB. I want sustained success, not a flash in the pan 1 and out playoff game. The last home playoff game, which I was at, was 2002 against Peyton's Colts. We spanked them. I don't want a meaningless road playoff game loss that drops their draft pick. I want my next playoff game I attend to be like my last, an AFC championship game (One of my sons and I went to Pittsburgh, cringed at the Nacho screw up before the half that cost them the game). 11 years doesn't matter, AFC championship game matters.

Brook! likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. That could be the case, but not necessarily. It could be that a team's offense is more aggressive and passes more. Patrick Mahomes has thrown for 300 yards twice this season, over 400 yards another time and 292 yards in another game. They're 3-1 in those games. Two of them weren't close, the other two were. Josh Allen has only thrown for under 300 yards twce this season and has exceeded 400 yards twice. They lost to Miami when he threw for 400 yards. When he threw for 297 yards, 317 yards and 424 yards the score wasn't close. Zach has the arm talent to do what those two guys do.

The offense we are running is not a run-oriented offense. That is how it has been this season, but their stated goal is to make it about 50-50 pass and run. If NFL defenses have figured out this passing attack, then it's time to drop this offensive scheme like a hot rock. If MLF and Saleh are intent upon turning this into a Rex Ryan ground and pound attack, I'm out, done as a Jets fan, and I hope that Zach will demand a trade because his talents are wasted on these two.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Adios, my dude.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So it's not that anyone at all has claimed that Wilson's flaws are not correctable, as you stated but that you have drawn an inference that he won't get better even if no one implied that was the case. You realize, of course, that what you have just stated here is on you and not on anyone who cares to disagree with you on the current state of Zach Wilson's abilities.

I must offer sincere apologies to you for the error I made in identifying the poster with the consistent complaint that those who do not share his opinions must be Patriots fans - it was someone else, also with a primarily blue avatar.

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

This year has been nothing but, Bills and Chiefs gonna be a high scoring.... Defensive battle. Chicago will have run game shut down by defensive genius.... Patriots get exploited.

This would mean Zach should show out this game in that degree /s

Don't know what to expect this year with this o line

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I hear charlie browns teacher

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Most of the time I agree with Michael, but I think he is too harsh on Zach. Saying this is nearly as bad as 4 INT 4 Sack performance in NE? What?

"1st & 10 – Qtr: 1, (15:00) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to T.Conklin"

Nania thinks he badly airmails it to Davis. However, as @ColoradoContrails pointed out, it looks like he throws to Conklin, who slows and gets hit. Conklin does not slow, we most probably have a PI. Still I feel Zach SHOULD have gone for Davis, and this is a negative play, but it is not as bad as Nania graded.

"1st & 10 – Qtr: 1, :)54) Z.Wilson sacked at NYJ 19 for -10 yards (D.Jones)."

Nania thinks Zach under heavy pressure can throw it up to Uzomah to start with. I watched it 10 times. Maybe he can, but there is a defender near by, he is under pressure - it's a risky play. Then he says Zach should have look all the way to the left instead middle, because that's where the concept called for him originally to have looked at left. Guess what, the play is broken! Now there is a guy in the middle and to the left. He happens to look the middle, since that's where he escaped the run. Unfortunately the guy (Uzomah) is in the middle of traffic, and it is a risky throw. Zach gets hit and loses the ball after contact with the ground. I don't think this play should have negative grade at all, this one is on o line, and Zach could not bail them out like he did many times, but it is not on Zach. Yet Nania grades him as if he threw a pick 6.

"3rd & 16 – Qtr: 1, :)41) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson sacked at NYJ 14 for -5 yards"

Michael is saying he can pass it to open GW. He doesn't understand why he looks at him, but doesn't throw. Look carefully when he looks at GW, pause it when needed. GW is not breaking yet. By the time he starts the break, the pocket has collapsed and Zach is running for his life. Either GW needs to break just a bit earlier, or pocket needs to hold slightly longer. Again pause it at the right spots and see for yourself.

1st & 25 – Qtr: 2, (2:00) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass short left to Mi.Carter

This is a solid play for 37 yard gain when they needed 25. This is a good throw when the line finally held up. Michael does not grade this at all, like a neutral play! What?

2nd & 3 – Qtr: 3, (10:35) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass incomplete short middle to C.Uzomah.

I agree he could have made a play. But again protection broke too early. Zach is throwing stepping back with the guy running straight at him trying to avoid a hit. Could he have stood there and take a hit? Yeah. But I just don't think this was as bad as he grades it.

3rd & 3 – Qtr: 3, (10:31) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass incomplete short middle to T.Conklin [J.Griffith].

Again, pocked collapsed right away. Zach is running to the right. Nania is saying to look to the right and pass to Mims or Berios. There is no time to scan the full field here! This is a broken play. If pocket held, Zach could have completed. But now he looks at TE. Could have tried to make the throw, but there is a bit of traffic and he essentially throws it away. Another play which I think is not bad.

Overall, I would say not a great game by Zach by any stretch of imagination. But to compare this to NE 4 INTs and 4 Sacks? Come on now! A few throws not entirely accurate, but mostly he was pressured like hell, and Nania apparently expected him to play as if he had great pocket all game. Did he play it safe? Yes he did. But it was the kind of game of possession where it is better be safe than sorry. One bad INT, and that could be the difference. If Zach had slightly better protection though, it looked like receivers were in fact getting open, and it could have been a really good game for him. Hopefully he will not be under immediate heavy pressure next time and Oline can hold up a bit better. The result will be drastically different IMO.

cval, Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think you make some good points but I agree with Nania that the first pass was to Davis on the Dagger route. That's the correct read and the design of the play. That Dagger route to Davis was Zach's favorite play last year. Zach loves that play. Pavia in his Monday video confirms it was to Davis too. Pavia does a better job of the breakdown saying that Zach extended his throwing leg to far. I would argue that happened due to poor mechanics bouncing on his last step of his drop throwing his balance and timing off causing the long stride all resulting in the ball sailing. It was his 1st pass and he was full of energy.

I agree on some of the sacks. There was one or two I watched over and over and kept thinking no way could he get that out like Nania was saying.

Pavia had one scramble example where he argued he should have gone to his checkdown. I thought that was a lot more reasonable than Nania's arguments but even on that play Pavia argued it would have been a really difficult throw.

Even if we disagree on the film reviews they are still great and educational. I give Nania, Sabo and everyone over there a major thumbs up for providing us all that content every week. They have taken Jets reporting content to a whole new level.

#711 Noam, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach sometimes likes to throw it higher to TEs, and it would have been a bigger gain. But who really knows: I think we all agree, it was not a great play, it is just to what degree it was bad :)

Overall though, I did not come out with terrible feeling about Zach after watching this, given the level of opposing defense and nature of the game where a mistake could cost you the game. He did play it too safe at times. Not sure if it was right or wrong. Had some inaccuracies. Overall though, I felt the biggest reasons for offensive struggles was that protection was really bad. AVT was out, and his replacement sucked, Laken and Brown were very bad against good defense. Herbig below average. It felt like with just a little more time Zach could have had some great opportunities. Hopefully Fant/Mitchell will be back soon or JD pulls a rabbit out of a hat again. But protection needs to improve. Also, playing against defenses which are not #1 and #2 in passing should help some.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

very interesting point about this scheme…not sure how much we can change it but very interesting statistic…

cval likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Spot on! If the Jets are to have sustained success they have to develop Zach and a reliable passing offense. Ground and pound with a game managing QB is only going to carry them so far.
    Excellent post and analysis, Borat!

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Tua has a few wrinkles in their offense as they do RPO mixed in some passing concepts….I know that MLF has these same plays that the Dolphins have, not sure why it’s not used more.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

That’s Cval, and it’s funny because I also got them mixed up.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of comparing Wilson to Mahomes and Allen. Also, it takes a lot more than arm talent to be a successful QB in the NFL. There have been plenty of guys with superior arm talent that have washed out if the league.

This team has enough talent to make a run at the playoffs. You don't risk that by going away from what's working. And not for nothing, he would have better yardage numbers of he didn't miss some of those open guys. Also, as mentioned by other posters, he could very easily have 2 more passing TD's if Hall makes it to the end zone both timea in the Miami game.

19. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

With this Defense, we would have blown out all 4 teams if he threw for 300+ yards in those games.

BrooklynJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They are decent but do not compare to how Kurt Warner breaks down film. He is not a huge fan of the concepts we are running.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.