Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The notion of a "pitch count" in the NFL is beyond silly

Ralebird likes this.
  2. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Zach simply isn't cutting it. Now I'm all in on Zach. I very much do want him to get a full opportunity right through next season. Maybe he will develop into a truly great QB? I certainly hope so. With that said let's point out the obvious....

1) Zach's accuracy is below average at best. Every time he throws the ball i get nervous something bad is about to happen.

2) Whenever he tries to throw the ball away I see disaster coming. The QB coach needs to get in Zach's ear and teach him the proper way to throw the ball away. If he continues to do it the way he's currently doing it, that will ultimately result in turnovers.

3) He poorly executes timing patterns. For whatever reason when he's in a live game he's not very good at throwing timing patterns.

4) He's having trouble going through progressions.

So in closing I want to point out areas where his play has been good....

1) The players think he's there leader. And maybe he is? Despite him not playing well his messages to the huddle during games are well accepted. They believe in themselves and they believe in Zach.

2) Zach is not turning the ball over. This often gets overlooked. ANY QB that doesn't turn the ball over is at least an OK QB. You can win a lot of games when your QB doesn't turn the ball over and Zach has been very turnover resistant since late last season.

Justin Fields had his very best game as a pro last night with a far inferior supporting cast. He totally dominated the patsies in every aspect. Next weekend should be a great measuring stick for Zach. The fact is the patsies focus is to stop the Jets running game. They want ZACH to beat them with his arm. We'll see if he can......

JETFUEL1580, NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  3. bicketybam

Just what we needed. Thanks!

4. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

No problem. I'm here for you....

Jets81 likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're Winning with Zach on low pitch counts. With more established QBs you could trust them to win a game in the air. Not Zach right now.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is this the tenth thread about Wilson on the current board?

:D:D:D

I gave it a quick scan but the bit about Fields caught my eye, Fields may have had his best day at the weekend but has largely been utter garbage but yeah his best game means he is back in the Fields v Wilson debate from before the draft.

Both have been garbage, so has Lance, though it does look like the generational talent TL is actually showing something at last.

Not trading the #2 pick is the biggest mistake we have made in the last two drafts, hindsight is such a great tool.

BrooklynJetsFan and ouchy like this.
  7. Cman68

Well, with Hall out teams will force Zach and MLF to put more passes in the game plan. Maybe JR can be our PowerBack now. MLF will have to adjust. NE isn't what they used to be so our timing couldn't be better to unleash Zach. Hopefully Zach is up to the task..

#527 Cman68, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People keep saying it was Fields best game ever, so I checked. It was his third best game of the season and 6th best of his career. He's had some real stinkers as well.

Regarding Zach, fear of Ints are being weighed too heavily. This has been an interception crazy year. Everyone is throwing them and they are inevitable with any passing team. Its not so much the fact that a player throws an occasional INT. Its what they do between throwing INTs that makes the difference. If they are successful throwing downfield, moving the chains, and scoring points, an INT here and there is tolerable, even expected.

The last few games playing it safe was a good gameplan so we cant really harsh to much on Zach for lower numbers. But we need to see the decisions and throws he does make improve. Were not always going to be in low scoring games or playing with the lead.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LOL

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

An objective response to this objective take: This is a huge overreaction from the Broncos game.

11. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Lol at he’s not cutting it with a 4 game win streak with him.

He is cutting it, which is why we’re winning. He’s what we need him to be right now.

That’s not to say he is without concerns. He appears to be one of the weak links in the offense. There was a play where he threw behind Garret Wilson, where G. Wilson looked pissed. I’m pretty sure everybody is a little worried about him at this point.

The counter is always going to be: But we’re winning. We gave Mark Sanchez the benefit of the doubt when the team carried him to the AFCCG, why can’t we do that for Zach?

12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

G Wilson was pissed because he doesn't want to get killed over the middle. This the reason MLF doesn't call slant patterns – because he wants to save his WRs from being decapitated at this point.

13. Cman68

I think we establish the ground game, then have Zach pass when we need him to. If Zach has to pass more than... 20 times, our ground game simply isn't working. Using the run to set up the pass seems to be working for us now. If it ain't broke...

AtlantaJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

May call a couple slants for Elijah Moore this week. Hey oh!

BrooklynJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Will merge this with an existing Zach thread but keeping it open until OP receives some pointed feedback on his points.

burf likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is what he is. He's a young QB with 1 year of NFL experience. He has many skills and works hard to improve. He's also a strong leader among the team. He has shown significant improvement since he started in the NFL. As long as he continues to improve at a significant rate, he will be great. I think he will, but only time will tell.

17. bicketybam

A pitch count implies they have a set number of passes that he is allowed to throw and once he reaches it he can no longer throw the ball. It doesn't mean emphasizing the run over the pass.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well said bickety well said. Let the kid play. If we lose we lose. Let's see what this kid can do or can't do under pressure. He plays sooooo scared and conservative it is nauseating. But hey at least we are winning.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’ll be interesting to see how Zach performs this weekend against a team that’s clearly got some issues on defense, as Chicago proved last night. Maybe this will be where he takes his game to the next level.

20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

When does it stop? Zach is the Jets QB, & in all likelihood will be, til he has another full season (or 2) under his belt. All we can do is hope he grows, & the CS is doing the right things, while we enjoy this growing team become more & more competitive. And of course, show love & whine, being the Jets fans we are.

JetFanInNE and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.