Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm not sacrificing wins for anything. This is the best team the Jets have fielded in years. There is a legitimate chance at the playoffs right now.

If Zach cant play well throwing the ball 20-25 times per game, I absolutely do not want to see him throwing 35-40 times. I'm of the mindset that Zach has the rest of the year to prove he belongs in this league. If he can't do that, I'd expect the Jets to find legitimate competition for him next season.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

The QB has to start to improve immediately for anything meaningful to happen.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

How about we sacrifice Zach for wins instead

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Great video and great explanation of Zach's issues. It's all mental and confidence. He knows where to go and what to do but just keeps hesitating. Compare this film to Pavia's Miami breakdown where Zach was decisive.

It is a very disturbing 2 game downward trend. The wheels are close to coming off. Wilson really needs the bye. We should get a better idea of what he is made of these next few games. Will he bounce back or get worse?

Pavia's breakdowns are the best out there. I really do like how the breakdowns highlight how well MLF schemes opportunities for the offense to take advantage of defensive tendencies.

Borat, rockyusmc2003 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's something I can't understand either. Unless it's MLF purposefully putting training wheels on Zach during the week.

There's nothing from his first 2 games that should've made him play this timid and skittish.

I really hope MLF and Calabrese get in Zach's ear this week and get him back to where he was mentally in his first 2 starts of the year. That QB would make this offense very dangerous.

Noam likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

When he does not play confident and does not play relaxed all his mechanics fall apart as does his decisiveness. Same thing we saw last year. He has cleaned somethings up but the mental part is the problem. He keeps getting in his own way. His ceiling is really high. He makes quick correct reads. He has a good supporting cast a very good OC in MLF. There is only one thing stopping him and that is himself. At some point things may just click and he can just play. But, the opposite could happen. The more mistakes he makes, the more pressure and the worse he plays. That is what happens to most QBs. But, yes it is frustrating to watch as he is pretty close to breaking out while at the same time close to busting out.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

When you look at Pavia's film there was one really good play where he used his eyes to get MC open on 37 yard play. Pavia said this was his best play. I would make a couple of points about the circumstances of the play. I believe it almost immediately followed the Zach run on 3rd down where he made a really nice cut to get a 1st. A big positive play and it was at the end of the half with us losing where we really needed him to play well. Two points here he had some confidence after making a good play and there was a sense of urgency, 2 minute drill and game on the line. This required execution not thinking. Only one play but I wanted to highlight how his mindset affects his level of play. Although the Pavia video does that better. For example being flustered the play after the fumble taking another sack rather than hitting the checkdown.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Zach is trying so hard to not play bad that he is playing bad, if that makes any sense.

cval, Jets79, The Dark Knight and 2 others like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It was close. I went back and looked at the play log.

• (3:37 - 2nd) B.McManus kicks 65 yards from DEN 35 to end zone, Touchback.

• 1st & 10 at NYJ 25
      (3:37 - 2nd) Br.Hall left end to NYJ 27 for 2 yards (P.Surtain, J.Griffith). NYJ-Br.Hall was injured during the play.

• 2nd & 8 at NYJ 27
      (3:16 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass incomplete short middle to B.Berrios.

• 3rd & 8 at NYJ 27
      (3:11 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson scrambles left end ran ob at NYJ 45 for 18 yards (P.Locke).

• 1st & 10 at NYJ 45
      (2:19 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass short right to B.Berrios pushed ob at DEN 43 for 12 yards (A.Singleton). PENALTY on NYJ-D.Mims, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at NYJ 45 - No Play.

• (2:00 - 2nd) Two-Minute Warning
    • 1st & 20 at NYJ 35
      (2:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on NYJ-D.Brown, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 35 - No Play.
    • 1st & 25 at NYJ 30
      (2:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass short left to Mi.Carter pushed ob at DEN 33 for 37 yards (J.Simmons).
    It still enforces your point though IMO.

Zach scrambles for 18, then hits Berrios for a gain of 12 (nullified by Mims' PI), and then hits MC out of the backfield for a gain of 37.

Zach seems to play better as he gains confidence, which is something MLF needs to be aware of. Getting Zach in rhythm early to build his confidence should be a key part of the game plan each week.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Establish the run first and let everything spring from that. MLF airing it out at the beginning of the game was idiotic to say the least. It almost looked as if he was trying to show up Moore by saying we don't need you in the passing game. Maybe if he had another more experienced QB MLF could have pulled it off. If that thought was in the back of MLF's head, it failed miserably against one of the best D's in football.

With the running game working so well, even without Beast Hall we should still be able to ground and pound. Robinson and Bam should be big contributors.

Keeping Zach on a pitch count may be the right thing to do at this point in his career as Zach still hasn't outgrown his "hero ball" tendencies. Once Zach grows into the QB position, then maybe we can ask him to carry the team.. But at the moment, keep the ball on the ground.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. Cman68

Keep Zach on a 15 pass pitch count. Maybe he'll stop playing hero ball if we do that.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cman that play was a touchdown though if the QB doesn't suck.

An offensive coordinator designing and calling a beautiful play like that should never be criticized IMO

13. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

He looks terrible. Other than not throwing picks he looks like a train wreck

14. Cman68

Gotta know the limitations of the people you're working with BN..

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree and disagree with you here. The opening play should have worked. CD was wide open on a great route concept from MLF. If Zach hits him, it's a gain of 15-20 yards out of the gate. That would've given everyone on the offense a ton of confidence, especially Zach.

Absolutely this team has built an identity around running the ball and that's something that should never be abandoned but there will come a time where we can't run the ball effectively, for whatever reason. That's when we'll need Zach to step up and prove to everyone that him going 2nd overall wasn't a mistake.

It's a fine line to walk but I think what you're saying and what I'm saying can be accomplished simultaneously. That's something that's up to MLF though.

Ralebird and Noam like this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The only hero ball he plays these days is avoiding sacks, running around and then either throwing it out of bounds or running out of bounds. He certainly hasn't been throwing the ball recklessly downfield. In fact, he's not even throwing the ball downfield at all. He seems terrified of making a mistake. I'd rather see him throw a pick than play like he's scared of making a mistake.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think that would make it worse, unfortunately. Knowing he has less chances to make plays he would want to make those plays count more, that's where hero ball comes in

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

A patchwork OL should find it easier to run than pass block. The opportunities through the air for this team are on PA on 1st and 2nd down. Especially with the clean/pressure splits on Zach. I like what MLF has done throwing on 1st down. This helps the run game as well. The problem with that play was execution and Zach's mechanics not the play call.

In regards to the running game outside Hall and his big play threat it has been pretty bad. Carter has been averaging 3.5 YPC compared to Halls 5.8. I don't believe this team can run the ball effectively without Hall unless they make plays in the pass game 1st. Zach will need to make plays. MLF will need to set up short YAC to MC in lieu of a run game. Moore will need to make plays and we will need Davis back. But, most of all we need a confident Zach. The identity of this offense will need to change without Hall.

Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It does. He is playing so safe, that yes you eliminate mistakes and turnovers, but you also eliminate big plays and touchdowns for your own team too.

Again, I think that was the strategy against the Packers and Broncos, so we will see if things open up this week.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

You all need to chill out...Green Bay and Denver are literally the two best pass defenses in the NFL. I expect more passing against NE and Buffalo, but the run game will likely still carry the day. Apparently Chicago has a very good pass defense too, so I don't expect a break out game for Zach until perhaps the Vikings or Lions game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-passing-yards-per-game

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.