Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You look at that play and the problem was he hopped on his last backstep throwing him off balance and out of timing. The same problem he had all last year which he has done much better with this year. That little bounce there throws everything off. That play should have been plant the back foot and bam ball out instead we had a bounce and a reset and throwing a little off balance and out of time. I believe this was his first throw of the game or second. So he was probably pretty fired up and full of energy. But again it is about relaxing and proper mechanics. What you want to see is Wilson's back leg calm at the back of his drop and ready to throw. No bounce. He has for the most part this year looked so much calmer in that back leg.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's the case of this forum in general these days

presenting opinion figures as facts goes with that

ouchy likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

2 things I'd be ok with never seeing again this year.

Empty sets and rollouts to the left.

Acad23, Br4d and NY Jets68 like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't mind. Were here to discuss and debate. Its better than crickets chirping.

horsehead and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. You cant judge anyone on this offense at the moment tho because the scheme is so inept. Its not just here its struggling.l

cval likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I want him to pan out as much as the next fan, but objectively speaking, he has not. 5-2 could easily become 5-5 if his issues don't get fixed in a hurry.

Vida likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I see 5-2.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So do I. But that's not the topic. There is a different thread for that.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This isnt a good take at all. He doesnt just throw darts, when youre throwing the ball at the LoS that ball should be on the reciever quick. You dont want it floating that gives the defense time to react. As a matter of fact you saw exactly what happens when Denver tried it. Immediately tackled after the throw. Ask any reciever at the pros, you want that ball quick.

Problem is scheme. Ill say it again, it doesnt just affect ZW. It affects everyone's performance. Multiples pros have called out MLF passing concepts as bad. The whole point if the the Shanahan offense, which is basically what we run, is the run sets up PA. Thats the reason you see all the PA. However, MLF isnt using the run to set up the pass like he should. Its only later in the game does he utilize the run more effectively, hence why ZW completes more as the game goes on.

Im not in th3 building but i will say it does not look like MLF schemes for his players correctly. He seems to call more plays that he wants instead what his team does well. Thats probably why as the game goes on they play better.

Where i think Zach actually needs to step up is to take over audibles at the LoS. Too many young QBs neglect this and just go with what the OC says. Well this isnt a knowledge and experienced OC. That does affect the QBs growth. If he doesnt know how to coach a QB, how does anyone expect him to call plays appropriately for that QB?

NY Jets68, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

1.9 seconds of pockerlt time isnt what youre eyes see? Im pretty sure thats exactly what im seeing. But magic tho right?

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The scheme, MLF, or the phases of the moon don't cause Zach to be erratic on short/mid range throws. That's all Zach.

And yes, touch passes are vital to an NFL QBs success. Zach is a one trick passer so far.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Take your own advice and go re-watch the film.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

no argument, and I also feel it's way too premature to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but to answer the topic of this thread, no, I do not think sacrificing wins for Zach is in the teams best interest at this point. It sends a bad message to the rest of the team... maybe once they're officially eliminated from PO contention, that can be considered. At the moment the kid doesnt look like he's progressing, aside from reducing turnovers, and I think some play callling has a little to do with that.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and rammagen like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

And this is unlike all other QBs how? Especially young QBs. And especially when you're told, "Limit T.O.s. Don't make mistakes. Don't force things" which is the game plan he's been told to follow. And he's following it well as proven by the 4-0 run.

PJ4Ever and cval like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To be brutally honest, after reading some of the early comments by a few here at TGG, which goes on week after week, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about or expect from this team. Yesterday we overcame a massive challenge in Denver, devastating injuries, punctuated by a target hit to Hall plus helmet to helmet, absolute shit officiating, facing a top defensive line that was in Zachs back pocket under two seconds all day long, with a patched up OL, fighting without key weapons like AVT, Hall, Davis,but to a man they hang tough tooth and nail to the last play of the game and pulled a win.
    Yet, the only thing I read from some of these so called Jet fans, never mind at least first recognizing what an amazing win that was for us, is the negative plays, boring into Zach like he is a season vet that should have fired bullets all over the field in yesterday battle. Something no QB has done to them yet. Does Zach have a way to go, no doubt, we all said that, but if he wasn't there yesterday, you can forget the win.
    Folks can continue with the tirade that he is not the FQB of the future, but for this year at least, that is meaningless self serving opinions. He is growing better after every game, and while struggling under heavy rush, he is avoiding costly errors given a clean pocket he is very good. He is 4-0 like it or not and this team from top to bottom is a pleasure to root for. Want to blame someone, go tell Moore thank you for putting his ego way up in front of the team, and provided less than zero help yesterday were we needed him most.
    For Pete's sake. Best start in many years does not deter some people from only dwelling in the negative. In fact a few have already predicted, surprise, surprise, that we will be spanked next Sunday by the Patshits. Because in their negative world that is "reality"
    I sure hope the Jets prove them dead wrong. Again.

PJ4Ever, Mogriffjr, Noam and 2 others like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't think it's any different from most young QBs. Robby is just pointing out his observations and stating the obvious (that Zach and MLF have to get Zach to a point where he plays more confidently/"free-flowing" on a consistent basis).

18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Fwiw,....the premise of the thread is iffy. We have no wins that are predetermined

19. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, 'cause everything YOU say is "fact", and anyone who disagrees is just spouting wrong "opinions".:rolleyes:

Noam and rammagen like this.
  20. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I can see that and respect the opinion. my reason for posting in here is to state that the kids has played one season missed the preseason 3 games this year and 7 games last yr, so I wanted people to take a breath and see the other side. we are winning not because of Zach but we are not losing because of him either. He needs to grow and get better but enjoy the wins we have suffered long enough without throwing more on use selves. He has not turned the ball over against 2 good defenses and with a patch work o-line so people need to take that into consideration. Could he have been better yes he could have. But we won so let's enjoy it. I think as a team we are about 1 yr ahead on the growth of the team. The next few games will tell the tale for the season then if it is bad let's see what Zach can do. But as long as we are competitive we should and rightfully so be reigning him in so he does not cost us games

#440 rammagen, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.