Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reassuring post. I did not like Zach's play the last 2 games but your post (and some of Cval's) are a lot more realistic, thoughtful and grounded than my initial impatient overreaction.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The team winning and Wilson not costing them games isn’t really the same thing as Wilson doing what they’re asking him to do, unless it’s just “limit turnovers and don’t cost us the game”.

I don’t think any coach wants a QB where that needs to be the game plan. It’s just a passable strategy if your running game is dominant and your defense is tough.

He’s shown flashes like in Pittsburgh but there hasn’t been enough of that for me personally to be comfortable that he’ll be able to put a game on his shoulders yet.

He just lost his best offensive weapon. The next man up is a big step down (at least so far). The Pats (and everyone after) would be crazy not to stack the box and make Wilson beat them. He has the physical tools to do it just a matter of his ability to process what’s happening in front him, his decision quality, and throwing the ball accurately.

Basically doing the stuff we drafted him to do.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

50 years of Jets football...and IMO ZW is trash.
    BUT, he's my QB till the powers that be say he ain't.
    I won't boo him, I root FOR him. I want him to succeed.
    Really hoping Zach proves me wrong.
    But he's been the recipient of an above average D and an outstanding RB.
    That RB ain't gonna be there for a while...let's see Zach get better....now.

Vida likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm pretty bearish on Zach's chances of being the guy at this point. He's just too inaccurate. He needs to be in rhythm and he can't get into rhythm because he misses the easy throws too frequently. Even half his completions were thrown behind receivers and thus made YAC impossible.

His pocket presence is very bad. He runs backwards to escape pressure rather than staying in the pocket and continuing to look for open receivers. He still doesn't know how to give up on a play.

If you're looking for a reason to be optimistic, the fact that he's only played 1 full season of games is a reason. But man, he has not looked good at all during those games.

Ralebird, Br4d and Noam like this.
  5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Wilson was under siege at times yesterday and he did a solid job of avoiding huge negative plays …

but Zack is the main reason he is under siege. His snap cadence is way too predictable. Denver was heading downhill at the snap on almost every play, putting the o-line at an immediate disadvantage.

He needs to get much better pre-snap and a small thing like varying his cadence will help the team a lot.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

they’re doing what works. It’s that simple. Don’t think it’s about Zach. It’s about they are winning so don’t fix what ain’t broken.

ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  7. REVISion

Something tells me the "We've had a good running game, of course he hasn't had to pass well" crowd would be saying "No QB could pass well with no running game!" if we weren't running the ball well.

Vida likes this.
  8. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

On that first pass of the game, he had not one, but two receivers running free underneath. They were both in the same passing lane as the deeper throw, so I do not know how he missed both and why he went deep.

It is fantastic that we are winning, but lets get real here, it is not only the mediocre stats, but Zach is flunking the "eye" test.

#368 Jeff M, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    Vida and Jets79 like this.
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He really had 2 interceptions. The one at the end of the game was taken away by bad officiating...again. I don't understand the replay rule. Isn't the rule such that a call on the field can't be overturned unless it's clear the call was wrong?!? I see so many calls overturned where it is absolutely not clear that the original call was wrong. In fact, sometimes it seems clear the original call was correct and they still overturn it.

10. REVISion

It's not like Zach was playing lights out and just had an off game vs. the Broncos. He's been mediocre or bad in all but one game this year and he was bad in basically every game last season.

Vida and Jets79 like this.
  11. REVISion

We're all happy we're winning, but we also realize that we're never going to compete for a Super Bowl with a QB who is playing this badly. Nuance.

Vida likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't always agree with your posts but I almost always like your posts (except of course if we are talking about Becton's weight). I have a hard time not agreeing here with your assessment of Zach. Cval and the Dark Knight make very good and valid posts and I really would like to buy into their patient, hopeful, and pretty rational message but my gut and my eyes lean towards what you are saying. I hope he proves us both wrong.

The one long term positive for fixing Zach is the fix is pretty simple. It is mental and playing relaxed. Playing relaxed he plays decisive, with better mechanics, better accuracy and pocket presence. How to get him relaxed on a consistent basis I have no clue which is why I believe you are right. Being a good QB IMO is about being a good QB consistently play after play. Something we have yet to see.

Vida, Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The wind was a major factor yesterday on the longer throws.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Here you go!!

Vida, NY Jets68 and dawinner127 like this.
  15. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

he had 8 games last yr and missed the preseason. He is going to take his lumps Enjoy the winning. I get people want to see throw for yards and tds but when playing the number 1 and 2 pass defenses the last two weeks he did not lose us the games. Does he have to grow and improve yes he does. But name a team that has gone thru as many tackles due to injuries, and still won those games..... This is actually the start of his second season. If he had the full preseason then I would agree plus all of last season. Injuries happen but it cost him development time.

16. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Due respect Brook, this post is way off. Joe and Saleh are not on a pitch count. They're not even close to being fired. Woody knows losing Breece is a catastrophic loss. He also knows how good of a talent Breece was. He also knows the Jets recipe for winning was mainly Breece. He slao knows Joe built this team quite nicely. He's not going to fire anyone because the season went awry with a few injuries. He's well aware how a few injuries can make the entire season go sideways. Joe and Saleh will likely get extensions long before their contracts reach the end......

Noam likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually, looking at that again I think it's possible that the receiver was held up by those two defenders (no PI of course), and Zach expected him to have run a deeper route. I could be wrong, but that's a possibility that occurred to me.

Zach doesn't always take a wide stride, he does that when he's going to throw long - like most QBs do - which leads me to wonder if the route wasn't supposed to go longer.

KY Jets Fan and zace like this.
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lmao i cant with this fanbase. We want to keep a QB carousel going cuz every QB that comes next is better than the one before right? He lost 3 very important pieces, Got the team in to FG late in the game, overcame multiple penalties that put them behind schedule on down and distance, no turnovers against the top defense and were complaining that the team is 5-2. All while many predicted it would lose 10 games on this board. Allegedly the schedule was so brutal we expected to lose. Yet here they are

Ignore the fact that all QBs struggle against Denver this season and all their games looked like this. Ignore that proportionally, he produced the same way Herbert did (Herbert threw twice as much and almost has identical stats).

Ignore the fact that playing in Denver in the high altitude is hard and players have a hard time catching their breath there if they arent use to it.

Seriously nobody is good against this Denver team. Can we put things in perspective here. Itll get better, well if MLF can figure out how to be an OC.

Funny people casually mention the whole MLF in only his second year of ever calling plays and coaching a QB. Clearly doesnt gameplan to his teams strength.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I like his progress at this point.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.