Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s not a tough situation at all. The goal of the NFL is to win games, which the Jets have done 4 straight times and have their best start to a season since 2010.

There will come a time this season again when Zach will be called upon to carry the team on his back and we’ll see if he is up to the task. Lets not forget that he is 1-1 in those situations with the 4th Qtr in Pitt.

PJ4Ever, apjbfc, Poeman and 9 others like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s sacrificing because there’s no actual choice.

He’s gonna have to throw for the Jets to win.

Michael Carter has been half the back on almost as many carries as Hall.

#303 Jets81, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't know what has happened to him over the last few weeks.

When he came back against Pittsburgh, he looked calm and comfortable and made some good decisions. Thought the same thing against Miami but without the flashy ending like he had @PIT.

The last 2 weeks, he just looks timid and a gunshy. Like he's playing to not lose the game instead of win it.

He's gonna have to show us what he's got going forward. Hopefully I'm wrong but it doesn't look like Breece will be able to bail out this offense out any more this season. Time for Zach to step up.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He’s played 17 games in the NFL, everyone needs to chill and let his career play out.

Tom Brady was a game manager his first few years, same for Big Ben. Rodgers sat his first few years, Mahomes his first, Allen was pretty mediocre his first two years. List goes on and on

We don’t know how his career will play out yet, right now he’s 4-0 this year though which has the Jets competing for a playoff spot which they haven’t done in a very long time.

Enjoy the ride and let’s see how his career ends up.

6. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

The other point we have to keep in mind is the structure of the way we run the offense. It's not the Andy Reid Chiefs who let Mahomes throw very often, or the Bills letting JAllen sling the rock. We are a ground and pound team first and foremost. Now, should we let Zach throw more to see what he's got? Yes, but completely changing the core and script of the offense is probably not what the coaching staff will want to do. The Breece injury will make it interesting, however, as we will need another RB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

First, I'm happy with the win, it was definitely a team effort, and the defense deserves huge props for the last two weeks. Playing in Denver has never been a strong suit of the Jets, so I'm glad they made it out with a win. Albeit, the loss of Hall, AVT and Davis really put a crappy feeling on the end result. That said...

No doubt, the kid has physical talent, but mentally it's not clicking. It's like he's waiting for these enormous windows to throw in (much like he had at BYU). We all know, in the NFL, he's hardly going to get a window like that to throw in. His indecisiveness is why we see so many throws behind wide open receivers. There was even a throw in the 2nd half where he had a wide open Conklin, and he double hitched the throw for no reason. I realize he's trying to take care of the ball, but perhaps the CS got him a bit too gun shy after how he started last season. Also, running backwards 20 yards is also not helping anyone at this point, take the incompletion and move on to the next play. He's going to get himself murdered on one of those plays, or one of his teammates (or give me a heart attack).

The line wasn't great yesterday, but he's going to have to manage with that until help arrives. With all the injuries piling up again, the offense is going to have to lean on his abilities to generate offense. We'll see what Zach is made of over the next 2 weeks, with Hall out, his security blanket is gone. I would not be shocked if JD swings for someone like Akers or Hunt, if not just for Wilson's sake, they also need it to preserve MC. We're also going to see how effective MLF is as an offensive coordinator.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Maybe not this week as NE isn't an explosive offense. The Jets D should keep them in the game here as I expect another low scoring game. However against the Bills is the game where Zach will most likely have to step up. As good as the Jets D is the Bills will still get their points. The Jets will probably have to open it up and throw more than they want too in this game.

LAJet and Jets79 like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It will be as always a game planning decision based on the opponent and what happens in the game. As Herm said the idea is to win the game not to pad individual stats. If we play a team vulnerable to the pass we will likely see a lot more 11 than 12 we have been running of late. I am more worried about getting Davis and Moore back at his point and seeing less of Mims and Smith.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I like Zach's mobility and pocket awareness.

He has shown an ability to sense and escape from the pass rush.

He also can rush for a first down when he wants to (given the injury history I am glad he has shown restraint here).

With that said, why the hell is he holding onto the ball so long that he needs to escape from defenders 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage?

He has fast receivers in Davis, Wilson, and Berrios who have all been productive when given opportunities.

He has the best pair of tight ends we have had in a long time.

When he had both Hall and Carter not only did we not run enough but there were many times he could have thrown short passes to them.

He is making dumb mistakes, bad decisions, and has thrown many passes way off the mark.

Zach has shown some flashes and had some good drives but he clearly has to work on the mental aspects of the game.

The coaches clearly do not trust him.

11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

It's always win now. He'll sink or swim. We shall see... currently looking like Sanchez

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He certainly hasn't shown enough. I don't think anyone can truly argue that. The real question, is whether or not we think he can improve. Right now, I haven't seen anything to make me think he's headed in the right direction.

I understand Denver has a very good pass defense. I was always expecting yesterday to be a low scoring defensive struggle. Off the top of my head, I can count four throws that were wide open and he missed badly. Those are throws that a legitimate NFL QB cannot miss. His ability to avoid sacks is pretty impressive, but some of those ridiculous spin moves are gonna result in fumbles or INTs at some point.

He gets the rest of this year to improve, and gets reevaluated in the offseason. If he hasnt showed significant improvement, the QB position needs to be addressed. This team currently has too much talent for such bad QB play.

ouchy likes this.
  13. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

We shouldn’t even attempt to do this for the next three games…. Unless they are playing from behind.

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

nope. Zack completed his 17th game yesterday and is really started his 2nd season now. Josh Allen was bad his first 2 seasons but were winning while he was going through his growing pains. Like Zack, just let him keep doing what he is doing and hopefully when the time is needed he can take the Jets to next level. Winning is #1

15. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

What heymaker has he ever landed? Please don't say the point to CD, dude was wide open and was still not on the money.

Jets69 likes this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

ZW's first pass was ridiculous--how the hell do you overthrow that much to a wide open guy in the NFL? I'm sure he prepared the fuck out of himself too.

His ability to scramble is the only positive I've seen when it comes to NFL QB traits--he's a very inaccurate passer under all circumstance on average. He doesn't look off anyone, he doesn't keep his attention downfield while scrambling.

There's really nothing one can say he needs to develop better as a passer since he's shown utter inability to be a successful -he's going to be able to throw a down and out accurately all of a sudden? If he can't do that what is he doing being a QB?

JETS1116, Centiment and Ralebird like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I can't disagree more.

He leaves the pocket. He runs backwards or outside the tackle box almost immediately and then is forced to hold onto the ball way too long.

Pocket awareness is staying in the pocket and making plays. Mobility is usually a description given to QBs who move the football forward not backwards.

#317 BrowningNagle, Oct 24, 2022
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Zach can be the worst QB in the league. I don't really care if it means the number goes up in the W column. JUST WIN BABY WIN

19. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I think Zach needs just a few things

1) Elite OC
    2) Elite Oline
    3) Elite WRs
    4) Elite RBs
    5) Elite TEs
    6) Elite backups
    7) Empty Stadiums with no crowd noise

if he can get all of these, then he has a chance to be atleast an average Starting QB

#319 Get me the Damn Ball, Oct 24, 2022
  20. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I'm not ready to give up on Zach yet, but if he doesn't show improvement between now and game 17 what do we think about signing Garoppolo? He's definitely not a sexy name, but he knows the offense and can run it well. I'd rather do something like that than hand out big money to someone like Geno or trade assets for Rodgers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.