Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, so, I'll just say, yeah, I'm worried.

Vida, Pepsiguy5 and Jets79 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Honestly I don't know what you guys are watching. With the exception of a few big throws ZW has looked mediocre to terrible for close to a season and a half now.

If he was on the Fins we'd all be laughing about how bad the pick looked at this point.

Vida, HomeoftheJets, Ralebird and 6 others like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The more time goes on with this guy, the more I get Darnold and Sanchez vibes... even though this guy's toolbox is way deeper than both of those guys combined. He's being coached as if they are petrified of how bad he can be, and then when they try to give him some freedom, be proves their fears. The good news is there weren't any turnovers.

At this point, I just want him to be better than the backups he is facing each week.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Exactly…he’s had a few flashes…the Pitt 4th quarter…the one throw to Davis at GB…the throw to Davis vs Tennessee last year…sure there have been a few

but the sample sizzle is getting bigger and the numbers don’t lie over the long haul….we’ve got ourselves a 55% passer who rates among the lowest in the league…and the more that continues the more it’ll show who he is

I get the excuses with crap players last year… no longer the case this year. I get the excuse of bad OL play last year and earlier this year…but the OL has been better of late though yesterday was rough playing a top D and having AVT go out. The drops excuse … eh … not really buying that so much…every QB has that and just watching live yesterday half the drops are on him for putting a ball behind a streaking receiver.

I was 50/50 on him coming into the year…and while it’s critical that he avoids the picks and he’s doing a good job at that, he’s also not putting yards on the field nor is he throwing TDs…but man I don’t see a ton of improvement to be honest…he still has little to no touch, rifling passes into receivers who are 7 yards away…for whatever reason can’t lead receivers in stride and give them a catchable ball half the time…

there is legitimate concern here…he is our guy for sure this year and shoot we are winning which cures everything…but for me, I’ve not seen nearly enough to convince me that we have our answer at QB. Not by a long shot…moments? Sure…some. But not enough…

if this is who he is by year end…I’d be looking to bring in legitimate competition….we have a good young core of players and we need the QB to be above average….not bottom of the league in most major categories

Vida and abyzmul like this.
  5. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

If Flacco was in there, they would have had ten sacks. He is not the answer against any team w a halfway decent pass rush.

As for Zach, I had been very high on him, but as each game goes by, it gets harder and harder to believe he will be the FQB answer.

Without Breece, we will be forced to rely more on ZW. Carter is a terrific complimentary back, but he is not in Breece's league, and IMHO, we will not be able to win many more games relying on a run game and stout D, especially the next three really tough games.

The torch is now passed on to Zach to carry this team or prove he is not the long term answer.

The team is too vested in Zach, they will give him a third season to prove out. If I were Joe (unless Zach really grows the second half of the season), I would draft a QB if somebody they like is available when they pick. I would not trade the farm to move up.

Why does NE get guys in the 4th and 6th round who can play ???? There will be good QBs available without the #1 overall pick, just have to find that guy if Zach doesn't show us something in the second half.

abyzmul and Jets79 like this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

And he doesn’t have the defense Sanchez did (yet, anyway), and now he’s out his best offensive weapon.

He could literally be a game away from being completely ruined by you know who. I’ll be at that game so I’d love nothing more than to see Wilson throw it all over the field and route the Pats. I feel like we’re more likely to get a “Geno vs. the Bills” kinda game, though.

7. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Before everyone here has a total meltdown, every QB that's has gone into Denver this year has looked exactly like Zach did. Justin Herbert threw the ball 57 times last week against them at home for only 220 yards and pretty much looked exactly the same as Wilson. If he looks like this against the Lions and Bears later this year we need to worry but Denvers defense is as good or maybe even better than ours.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We win our 4th game in a row and the first thread is about the Qb? This fan base is amazing, I think it is more trolling than anything. Hard to see the Jets win I guess.

What killed the offense was penalties. You don't get into third and lo d against this D.

I just went back and watched every throw and Zach did not play as bad as I thought. The kid is keeping us in games with his legs hopefully he can start doing that with his arm.

Outside the lucky non called fumble Zach scrambled pretty well and saved a bunch of sacks. The o-line was horrible and penalties killed any momentum. You get behind the sticks with this defense you are toast.

Come-on the Jets are on a 4 game winning streak stop bitching about the Qb. At least wait until we lose one.

#288 cval, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I highly doubt he'll improve much. His football IQ is very low. He thinks he can outrun NFL defenders like he did in high school or BYU, and make an ESPN SportsCenter play on any down. He's no Michael Vick, not even close. He does have arm strength but it's negated by his lack of accuracy and bad reads. His pocket awareness sucks as well. There's a difference between a QB being raw and just dumb. Unfortunately, you can't make someone smart.

FrontOfficeFanatic and Br4d like this.
  10. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Zach's scrambling and avoiding of sacks was quite awesome. His elusiveness is the only aspect of his game that is better than what I had been expecting.

However, it is exactly on those types of plays that there should be down the field open opportunities, and to the best of my recollection he had zero down the field completions. In fact, to the best of my recollection he had zero down the field completions from either the pocket or from a scramble.

In college Zach made the big play over and over and over again. That aspect of his game is totally missing.

Now, I will grant that RS had found a winning formula based upon running, stout D, and no QB errors, and I would have been all for riding that formula as far as possible. However, the Breece injury totally change that dynamic.

I will make a prediction, that we will not win another game this season where Zach throws for less than 200 yards. Hope the kid steps up or I am wrong, but that is my prediction.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He HAS been below average. We need to stick to the facts. But it is a small sample size coming off injury, and below average is big improvement from last year, when he was the worst QB in NFL. His evaluation is ongoing, it's just too early to tell whether he is going to be the guy yet. In the last game he performed in line with average of any QB playing against similar defense. He improved some from last season, but will he continue to improve? Too early to tell.

12. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Jets fans just can't be satisfied. They're 4-0 on the road this year and Zack is 4-0 as a starter. They've won in Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Denver - 3 of the hardest places in the NFL for a visiting team to win and all teams with very good defenses. All with Zack at QB and (i) they won in Pittsburgh because of Zack and (ii) with Flacco they likely lose all 4 games.

It's very clear that the Jets don't want Zack to take any risks unless its late in the game and they need him to and that's the role he's been playing. He hasn't been throwing anything that he views as a potentially risky pass - and with a strong running game and a very good defense - that's a winning formula and it has been for the Jets. With a young QB, learning how not to turn over the bill is huge. He's had only 2 interceptions since he came back and one went through Conklin's hands and the other happened because Moore didn't run his clear out route and left his defender to peel off and intercept a deep pass.

The Jets O-line in Denver played very poorly and I suspect that its they got winded a lot playing in mile high stadium. What do you expect a QB to accomplish when he's running for his life on virtually every play and the Broncos have a very good secondary? The fact that he didn't have a turnover speaks volumes.

We're 5-2 with an incredible 4 game winning streak, many of them in places its almost impossible for a visiting team to win in. Relax. Take a breath and enjoy the season so far. Its rare that we get to say that in late in October, so just appreciate it for what it is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm convinced if Zach Wilson played a normal schedule his junior year, he probably would have went in the midrounds, similar to Pickett.

I help with a local youth group in my area and we play football in the yard after class--I look like Patrick Mahomes compared to all those highschoolers lol.

It's a bit similar to Zach's last year, he was throwing with poor mechanics and decision making--getting away with it because he was playing behind an AMAZING Oline and playing poor competition (with the exception of Coastal Carolina) he was just OK in that game.

Turn on film of Zachs games against Hawaii and USC I think, there are some VERY concerning throws and he was turning the ball over. We picked him for traits and hoped MLF could make them transition.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Oddly enough, Zach posted a better QBR yesterday than Trevor did.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Zach has improved this year.

Not by much and there's a lot of things he needs to clean up but he has improved.

Looks like Breece might be out the rest of the year so this offense will have to throw the ball more to win games.

The next 3 games will be big tests for Zach. Can he come out and look better against the Pats and Bills? We'll see soon enough.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Saleh and Joe D are in a tough place and they have to win games for job security(more so for Salah than Joe D) and they really can't afford Zach to lose games by himself. But at the same time, this super conservative game plan which doesn't showcase what Zach can and can't do is making it difficult for fans to see what we really have in Zach Wilson.

Jets are making Zach play super conservative so that run game and defense can win the games. But will this allow us to see what we have in Zach?

Jets can have Zach throw 30-40 times and see if he can win a game but than if loses start piling up, the seats will get warm.

Tough situation really...

NCJetsfan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am starting to wonder about the offense of philosophy in general. I am looking around the league at the teams the run the "Shannon" offense and it has not been pretty.

GB, San Fran, Jets, Rams, Miami - Have not been lighting it up offensively.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach and the offense in general will need to pick it up. I think they need to play more up tempo. Zach seems to play much better when the offense plays fast. He will have to pick it up especially against the BIlls if we want to have a chance

Vida, NY Jets68, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

At this point, MLF is going to have to adjust his gameplan.

Barring a trade for another RB, I can't see MC and Ty being as effective as Breece and MC.

Going forward, Zach will have to throw the ball more for us to score points. He's gonna have to take his own advice. "Take advantage of this opportunity. Step up. Time to grow a pair".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.