Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is 4-0. Flacco won one game. He is not playing great but playing his role. This defense makes a lot of Qbs look bad.

I thought completion percentage was the mark of a good QB?

He again played much better in the second half.

hornblower, dmw, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I still don’t think we play to his strengths enough. Find a few 1 on 1s and let him sling it downfield. Where are the plays from the Titans game last season?

They also don’t ever let him do a few quick hitters to get in a rhythm…it’s mostly a bunch of slow developing intermediate type plays where things go crazy because our pass blocking is not ideal

He’s got a lot of work to do, and I still have no clue if he’s the QB of the future but the play calling and play design isn’t helping things IMO

KY Jets Fan, Vida, twown and 2 others like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You know his coaches are telling hime to play conservative. This has made him tentative.

As long as we keep playing defense this way he should play conservative.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

hes played legit defenses. The run game has been great recently. Today was one of the top tier pass defenses in the league. Look at what they’ve done to the top QB’s. I’m not quite sure why were expecting gaudy stats against top tier defenses, especially when the run game has more then held it’s own.

5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Lawrence stinks right now too. He can’t see the field and lacks touch and accuracy. Jacksonville forums are fed up with him much like we’re starting to see w/Wilson on Jets forums. Lawrence might end up being a decent starter in time, but he’s not gonna be elite like Watson, Mahomes and Allen.

The biggest concern i have with Wilson is his inability to consistently complete passes. Like even the easy ones are not guaranteed. It very much reminds me of Sam Darnold. Sam couldn’t read a defense but it never stopped him from trying to challenge teams downfield which always lead to TO’s.

Wilson has avoided these TO’s simply by never throwing down field. It makes watching the Jets offense super painful and without AVT and Hall to mask these inefficiency, it’s about to get a whole lot worse…

Also it must be said - it’s very annoying to watch other team’s bring rookies and 3rd stringers in who can routinely see the field, find open WR’s and complete routine passes.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Zach biggest issue is mental. He is not at all relaxed particularly under pressure. Agree with Noam 100%. He was under extreme pressure today most of the game and he did not react well or fast enough. The horrendous amount of penalties particularly with O holding was obscene, taking a bunch first of downs or second and short to first and twenty. That destroyed us. The OL, a more friendly game plan and particularly Zach and the WRTE will have to step it up a bunch.

KY Jets Fan, MoWilkBeast and Noam like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand the emphasis of the gameplan is not to make mistakes which likely contributes to him being more indecisive and hesitant. Hard to argue with that gameplan as it has been working. I guess I am as guilty as many others and impatient to see more progress and consistency. He has stepped up when asked like right before the half today, against Pitt and last week in the 4th quarter. So I cannot say your point is wrong. Is the glass half full or half empty. I guess I am going with half empty.

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I keep looking at all the inaccurate passes. All the passes thrown behind people, his inability to throw the deep ball accurately. I see these other young guys that are in the league a year or two who are drafted behind him who can put a team on their back and carry them. Zach just doesn't have that ability.

MoWilkBeast, Vida, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  9. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

If you want to judge a QB based on whether they can carry the team when necessary, do it based on a game in which it was necessary for them to carry the team. So far, the only game where Zach had to do that was the Steelers game, and he did just fine.

In his other three starts, Zach didn't need to carry the team, and that wasn't the game plan. The game plan was (rightly) for the D and our running game to win the game and for Zach not to lose it. And in those games, Zach didn't throw throw any interceptions, didn't lose any fumbles, took a lot fewer sacks than most QBs would have given the pressure, and allowed his team to win every game.

How many starting QBs have won 100% of the games they started this year? How many starting QBs have thrown 0 interceptions in their last three games? Lost 0 fumbles? These things don't make Zach a great QB, and clearly there are a lot of things to improve. But he's doing exactly what he needs to do for his team to win games. It's unwise to judge his ability to carry the team on games in which he wasn't asked to carry the team.

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I mean look at SNF I'd take Pickett on this team in a heartbeat (even with the INTs). That's a rookie QB who looks like he's years ahead of Wilson. I expect Wilson to make mistakes but he really looks like he doesn't belong. All we heard about him coming out is he could make any throw but we never see it. This offense doesn't stretch the field at all. If we had a competent vet in there I think we're a playoff team

JetsFan, Ralebird and Wut? like this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Saleh and co aren't dumb (maybe they are but not THAT dumb) they know they're not going far in this league without a QB. If they're not asking him to do more it's bc they don't think he can

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fact is we're fucked without Breece Hall.

Zach can't carry this team at this point. His head is all fuckered up.
    The hesitation, indecision, late throws, bad decisions, etc. are signs of a player that is playing scared.'

His only "talent" is avoiding sacks and not throwing interceptions.

He's getting worse not better.
    He may need to sit if the Jets are intent on making the post season.

If they want to see if he'll develop... they need to state that decision... and it won't make the fans happy at all.

13. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

They asked him to do more against the Steelers, no?

hornblower and dmw like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty much in line with the sentiment here…I wasn’t expecting great stats against the Denver D and I’m still ecstatic and a bit surprised that we won even with losing AVT and Hall and Davis, but jeez man…hit the fucking open receivers once in a while.

I’ll have to go back and rewatch but it sure seemed like half his passes were either over a receivers head or behind them.
    I’m tired of hearing the drops excuse…half the fucking drops are because he can’t hit a receiver in stride. Today we threw some easy dumps to the flat and at least he led the receivers better on those but shit every one was a damn laser that I cringed every time and was surprised the receivers caught the ball

if he can’t hit over 60% completion in todays NFL he’s going to fail. Shit…even Rypien looked like a better thrower and hit open guys…sure he had the pick and in a game like this that’s a difference, but I’ll say this…when it was getting late into the 4th quarter I was saying shit I hope it’s our D out there when the game is on the line because if we had to win the game with a drive on offense, I did not believe for one minute that we would’ve been able to do it…and yes I know we did it at Pittsburgh but Denver’s D is better and he’s just looked like he’s gone backwards rather than forwards

he obviously gets the rest of the year, and of course we are winning so no fucking with a good thing, but he needs to develop…no fucking excuses…hit the damn open receivers…or we are going to need to find a new QB…because the shit we saw today ain’t gonna cut it if we want to win playoff games…

REVISion, JetsFan and Centiment like this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It’s infuriating watching him. Granted I can’t see the full field but why do they make it so hard for him?

-Everything should be read 1, read 2 and throw away. Dude dances around. Goes through 5 reads, misses the ones that are open and then runs wild. Josh Allen does this so well. Check down. Check down and take what d gives before going deep. Give what the D gives you. He needs to learn how to truly play the position because those scrambling BYU videos happen or should happen once or twice a game. That could open it up for him.

-My bigger concern is his accuracy. He can’t make short throws. No touch or poise.

-He is a dual threat QB who is not a threat to run. He needs to run 10x a game if he can’t make the throws and learn to properly slide. Aaron Rogers did it so well his career and he needs to mimic that.

nit complaining because of a win. But he looks awful. And has looked awful. Without Breece Hall now, I don’t know what to say. This is the number 2 overall pick and he’s throwing for like 95 yards a game. It’s frustrating. Trevor Lawrence is like a million times better.

FrontOfficeFanatic, twown and Jets79 like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Great. More slogans.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Tua showed that tonight. Pickett did too. I don’t think that’s indicative on their future status in this league. Against this same defense, Zach played better then Tua (Steelers).

It took someone like Daniel Jones to be competent. I think coaching wise MLF could scheme a bit better to Zach’s strengths but for the most part he’s done a solid job not making killer turnovers. I’d love for him to show out passing the ball but next not act like the scheme to pound the rock has helped and it should absolve Zach’s numbers if the run game was working. Or playing elite defenses. When he’s needed to make the throws this year, he’s pretty much done so.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I think everyone is missing the point. Even playing at BYU, and having somewhat limited experience the kid supposedly had the best and most lively arm. Where the fuck has it been? all I've seen is inaccuracy and poor field judgement. He's scrambles very well, and buys time, but he gets away with some throws. He's had enough games under his belt, and yet hasn't really shown anything deserving of the 2nd pick. It's insane to argue otherwise,

I'm happy we won today, and Zach didn't throw any picks. I'm sad we lost some guys on our team. Obviously Breece being the most. Zach still looks like a rookie. If he was great, or even very good would have shown something, and he hasn't. I've been a big supporter, but enough is enough. Zach is not even Mark Sanchez good at this point, think about that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I like the RPO. He is always accurate on that and it is quick.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

In response to the thread title, I’d say the answer to date is a resounding NO

still early, but between missing what, 7 games in his first year and a half and his continued inability to hit receivers in stride along with his continued inability to hit even 60% of his passes (which isn’t even elite status these days), yeah, I’d say he has a LONG way to go.

glad we are winning, but so far the only real good thing we can say is that he’s not turning the ball over…that’s good. That’s about it. WAY too many throws over receivers’ heads or at their feet or behind them. Don’t want to hear about drops or poor OL or any of that shit that every QB has to deal with. He just misses too many throws to guys that are open. I get the Broncos D is tough. But he had throws that were brutal to open guys.

he needs to fix this because throwing for 120 is not a sustainable recipe for wins and even less so if we want to talk playoffs. And if Hall is really out for the year or an extended period of time we’ll be hurting on O…

he’s been hard to watch…again…glad we are winning as that covers a lot but he needs to get better. He SHOULD be better…

#260 Jets79, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    REVISion and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.