Can our passing game get going?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

EVERY team wants to establish the run. But most teams who succeed in establishing the run, do other things off of it. Especially when the D plays 8 or 9 guys in the box to stifle the run. We dont. LeFleur seem like he'd prefer to just run into piles than let Zack air it out when the defense almost begging for him to.

Maybe it's just me. But I definitely see LeFleur doing to Zack what Rex did to Nacho back in the day.

JETFUEL1580, cmcm750203 and Cman68 like this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Again are we talking Zach Wilson? I am not sure who Zack is. We won by 17 points why would he air it out? I think Saleh wants to play ground and pound like in San Fran. He keeps saying more teams lose games than win them. If the game is close they are going to run the ball and minimize mistakes. Running the ball early, even if unsuccessful, opens up the run later.

To me going O'fer on third down is the problem. Miami we converted GB we did not. Zach saves sacks which has led to winning the field position battle. This is how Saleh wants to play, has nothing to do with Zach.

Keep the games close win it in the fourth.

I am guessing to him the Miami was the perfect balance.

3. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

When asked to convert a 3rd down..ZW is starting to do that

He has a good running game to rely on

IMO he is not seasoned enough to put the game on shoulders

Posters say we are "Sanchising" him..but where is the evidence Zac Wilson is head and shoulders much better than Sanchez as a QB?? So let's be happy ,work with what we have ,and hope ZW takes a bigger step and shows us he IS better than MS

Whatever we are doin now is working

So don't fix anything unless it's broken imo

LAJet, mrjet80, JETFUEL1580 and 3 others like this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They are 5-22 on 3rd down conversions the last 2 games, 1-11 against GB and the only conversion was a 1 yd run by Conklin

BrooklynJetsFan and Acad23 like this.
  6. Footballgod214

I compared Nacho under Rex with Zack under LeFleur.

I'm certain we're doing it right this time, and Zack will grow/develop in ways Nacho never could. ZW is more talented with a much bigger arm. But for now, today, LeFleur is keeping the kid gloves on Zack. Almost like Saleh said in his last presser, "If we don't need Zack to play QB, why would we?" (I'll finish it...."Why would we put the stress of the game on his young shoulders if we don't really have to???").

Last season we HAD to. Zack was our only shot at winning games. This season with all the new blood, LeFleur can create a bit of a safe-space for Zack to continue his development at his own pace, w/o the weight of the outcome on his shoulders (well, some weight but not 100% like last year). I think we'll start to see LeFleur dial up a bit more for Z every week, depending on the D we're playing of course, and how our run game is doing, score, 4th qtr, all that stuff. But there's no doubt in my mind LeFleur is bringing ZW along slowly, lest we ruin him like we did Nacho.

I think we're all really saying the same thing, just in different ways.

Go JETS!!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

What I don’t understand about some of the playcalling is that they’ll go conservative with the run and then pass on third and short or run a draw play which is even more mind boggling. Can they please throw the 3rd and 1 draw out the window? Nothing says outsmarting yourself more than lining up 5 yards further back to gain 1 yard on a run.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex didn't do anything to Sanchez. Sanchez was not good enough to be the primary force behind an NFL offense. He was good enough to be a complementary piece when the defense and running game were operating at high levels.

Sanchez had a lot of charisma and was a good field leader when all the other pieces were working at a high level. This made him seem like a good young QB when in fact he was fairly mediocre at anything but managing the game when that was possible.

A good rule of thumb is that if a QB cannot complete 60% of his passes consistently he is below the floor for a starting NFL QB. Within that 7.0 yards per attempt is another floor. TD/Int ratio is harder to peg but 1.8/1 is what the NFL does as a whole and being below that ratio puts you below the average QB.

Sanchez never reached any of these milestones in a full season with the Jets and only in a half season with Philly once afterwards.

9. Footballgod214

Ya I was referring to Rex's red/green/yellow stuff for Sanchez. Most of the time Mark was under RED (dont throw). But would be given a YELLOW or GREEN in certain (few) situations. Essentially, they were trying to do with Sanchez what LeFleur is now doing with ZW. Simple, safe game plans designed to protect the QB from himself. Cutting down on Zack's love affair with hero balls (until a hero ball is needed!).

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We have two great running backs and a line that has been opening up holes for them. You run the ball until the other team can stop you. Why stop something that's working? When other teams can shut down our run game, then we will pass more often. Simple as that.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If the ponys stack the box, why not break out our BIGs (Davis and Mims) on the field at the same time. Along with our TEs, we'll have several large bodied WR's for Zach to look for.

12. Br4d

The logical counter to the Broncos stacking the box is play action deep. That plays into ZW's strengths and if the mistakes happen they happen way down field.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is correct. If they can design a few plays where Zach rolls out and find either Corey Davis or Mimms with a deep ball this might open up Broncos defense.

Noam, ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only caveat I'd add is that the predicted weather - winter storm - may hamper the passing game. Hopefully Zach can channel his BYU days and adapt.

Br4d and Noam like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Winter storm? The Weather Channel has said sixties and partly cloudy for a couple of days now. You're there, I think - how can it be so different?

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Do people think when d.watson returns to the Browns they will become a passing team?

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, He likes a quick pass, doesn't he?;)

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The weather out here is very unpredictable because of the mountains. That said, I just checked the weather forecast for DIA and it's supposed to be rainy and 60's, but that could easily switch to snow. I live on the Western Slope - the other side of the Continental Divide, and it's snowing now and there's about 4-5" down and still snowing. Sometimes these storms change track because of the mountains, but this system is supposed to be pretty big so it might not given the prediction of rain in Denver. In any case, weather will probably be a factor in the game.

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong time period in my original post, sorry.

#159 ColoradoContrails, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  20. Br4d

Rainy and high 30's sounds like a slog of a game. Probably low-scoring.