Can our passing game get going?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 19, 2022.

1. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Not mention our receivers are not getting open in man coverage: https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/19/jets-catchers-man-coverage-problem/amp/

ColoradoContrails, LAJet and Noam like this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The guy who writes "I MUST RESPOND" is following a poster to other threads because he needs to have the last word.

#wetbrain

KingRoach likes this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I just wanna say that this thread has a good amount of comedy, and has made me chuckle a few times.

With that said, like some have said already who cares as of now as long as we are winning. Zach isn't losing us games, and until he does that I don't have any issues with him.

4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

LOL

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is the Sanchez progression BTW, got better each year but never became a plus QB except as a game manager.

If ZW is going to succeed as Jets QB at some point he is going to have to consistently complete 60% of his passes for 7.5 YPA (give or take a little) and at least a 2-1 TD/Int ratio. He is way off of all of those marks at this point through the first season and a third of his career.

Yes, he has been hurt both seasons. No that is not some positive point about how he has not yet had a real opportunity because players who get hurt a lot tend to keep getting hurt a lot.

BrooklynJetsFan and Lon Chaney like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

he must have gone blind while typing :D:D:D

JETFUEL1580 and cval like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It would seem that the entire franchise is above criticism after winning 4/6 games this season.

The inmates run the this asylum win, lose, or draw though, so it’s to be expected.

Funny that posters would be giving Laveraneus Coles shit if he were posting here based on that video with Chrebet.

8. K'OB

Is that really what is being said here?

My take is that people are still whining on about something despite us winning, when we weren't winning they were whining on about not winning but now that they are winning they have slipped sideways to another point of attack so they can keep on whining like little bitches because that is what they enjoy doing most, the Jets winning streak has scuppered their usual free hit so they move on to something else.

I guess it all depends on which side of the locked door you stand to define who are the inmates and who are the doctors.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

As if there are doctors in this asylum.

Anyway, if you (or others) choose to see nit picking or actual concern over some of what we’ve seen on the field as whining then so be it.

If you have trouble understanding why people want to see more before ordering jerseys or getting tickets (which I have, btw - looking forward to the Pats game on 10/30) - before really buying in, I don’t know what to tell you.

Keep in mind, though, that the people poking holes in what they see (Like Coles) are probably enjoying this season as much as anyone else. Wins will do that.

Attack the post, not the poster and all that jazz.

hornblower and Ralebird like this.
  10. K'OB

Do you really have to 'buy' in to support your team?

That is one of the oddest things I find people saying on here.

Your team is for life in England when they are shit or when they are brilliant.

As for attacking the post and not the poster, which poster did I attack? I lumped all the whiners in as one, if you are a whiner then you are in that jazz club by your own choice.

and as for understanding, you certainly didn't.

cval likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t really get the taking sides thing on Zach honestly. He’s still young, only just barely played a seasons worth of games.

the main and most important stat is winning, and so far he’s 3-0 and he’s won in two tough places to play in Pitt and GB. And the third win was the Dolphins who everyone was gushing over earlier this year. He’s made some great plays and throws, and he put together a crazy good 4th quarter in Pitt. He shows great physical tools. He’s got the potential to be great.

But he’s also still growing and there are things he will need to improve on. Accuracy is one. Decisiveness is another. Reading the field faster and more effectively is another. The QB rating for him is still at the bottom of the league, as it was last year. Stats are not everything, as you need context and the sample size is only three games. But at the same time, I don’t think we should ignore them and excuse them away entirely either.

you have to see the whole picture. He’s played well enough, and yeah he’s doing what’s being asked of him, and kudos to the coaching staff for bringing him along in a thoughtful way. But one could also argue that we are dialing him back because he’s not yet good enough to carry the team. GB was won by the defense and Breece Hall…though Zach did have that nice throw to Davis.

I just don’t see it as sunshine or whining….all or nothing. I think it’s ok to say hey I’m SUPER happy we are winning, I’m impressed that he’s 3-0 against good competition, and yet there are still things he needs to improve on. Just like I disagree when some say we should ignore stats entirely for whatever reason….he’s young, he’s doing what’s asked, etc., I also disagree when some say he’s not very good because the stats aren’t great either. They are one data point. Eye test is another, less quantifiable data point. Context is another consideration. Those are all true statements.

we have a tough stretch here against damn good defenses the next four games…Den, NE, Buf, NE. I’m not expecting a few 300 yard games against those teams…but if we can win 2 or 3 of them, that will be a great sign. But I do believe 100% that if we want to be Super Bowl contenders, we are going to need to beat the likes of Mahomes and Allen and Lamar…so he’s going to have to step up. He’s shown he can in flashes but he’ll need to do it more consistently.

Let’s keep it up!

12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

azhar80 likes this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What you call whiners are the whole point. Whose are these whiney boogie men you’re all after?

I’ve always supported the Jets in so much as they’re the only team I care about. Buying into them being legit is a different thing all together. Giving them my time/money has to be earned.

Their improvement has earned my time/money so far this season but there’s a lotta games to go before I’ll see them as the real deal. That’s not whining, it’s common sense.

Ralebird and Br4d like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I understand what you're trying to say here because the last two games have been very tightly wrapped in the passing game. The Jets really need to keep that up until they either get it down well enough that they can win with ZW managing the game or until he starts passing the ball better.

The run/pass stats are slightly skewed over the last couple of games because they include several ZW scrambles for little or no gain during that span. I think he's run the ball 9 times with 7 of them coming on plays that were intended to be passes or that were RPO where he pulled the ball down and got hit.

It appears as though the ideal distribution right now is 40/60 pass/run or less even. That would be in the Sanchez range in 2009 when as soon as the Jets dialed it down in the passing game they made a run.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is really not that hard to understand and it is called complimentary football. If you are ahead and the game is close you run the ball. You get behind you throw the ball. It is really that simple. How much we run or pass has nothing to do Wilson per say.

This offense of system was always built on running the ball effectively. The system has always struggled when it becomes a pass-first offense. The lack of running game kept the Bills and Chiefs out of the Superbowl last year and has cost the Chiefs a Superbowl IMHO.

KingRoach and hornblower like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Zack did not take that huge year 2 leap we all hoped for. But Jets are fortunate that we've created a bit of a safe-space where Zack can continue to play/develop at his speed while the team wins games.

LeFleur is calling conservative game plans to keep Zack safe (from himself). What we want to see is Zack given a bit more every game. Growth. And then more growth.

And at the same time our patch-work Oline is getting valuable reps working together. Our Oline is getting better every game too.

And our really young playmakers starting with Garrett and Breece (and Sauce) are getting valuable game reps, also getting better every game.

But at some point (Bills game?) we'll need LeFleur to open it up and put a lot more on Zack's right arm. LeFleur will need to show us Zack's growth is real.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's played 3 games. Wouldn't it be fair to give him the rest of the year to see if he took that year two leap or not?

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Who is Zack? If you are talking about Zach Wilson I am not sure what you are talking about. LeFleur is not protecting Zach, LeFleur is playing complimentary football. With a patchwork o-line that is starting to run block well and a defense that is playing great, you do not throw the ball 50 times. That is just stupid. When he needed to throw the ball he did just that against PItt.

Not to mention that is how the system is designed. It is a run-the-ball first system.

I am not sure where this narrative is coming from. Did you watch any games this season?

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I honestly didn't care what Zach's stats looked like after the game on Sunday before I read this thread.

Now I want Zach to come out and throw for 400+ and 3TDs with 0 INTs just to shut some people up. Only slightly kidding...

The most important thing on Sunday is winning the game. The who, how, and why wouldn't bother me at all.

The name of the game for Zach right now is consistency and intelligence. If he can continue to not turn the ball over and just be a little more consistent against pressure, he's gonna be just fine.

NYJFOREVER, cval, bicketybam and 2 others like this.
  20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I think it the passing game will get going only when it is absolutely necessary. That will be when someone finally commits to stopping the run against us and does it successfully. Then and only then will the Jets be forced to pass.

cval and hornblower like this.